Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
par

As a prospective Redwood owner I have a question to those of you may have looked into this. Some manufacturers are claiming to provide a 'Solar Prep' option which I cannot bseem to find with Redwood. Am I missing soomething?
Thanks!
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #2

I don't think they have one but if you ask a rep they may pre wire your unit for the solar prep.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

That's one great (unusual) thing about Redwood. If you special order,they don't seem averse to letting you customize your unit. Most other companies won't even consider it.One guy even had them leave outone of the doors, the awning and the ceiling fan! (Hi Bryan).

For a solar array, just remember to have them wire from the panels on the roof through the monitor closet, then back to the batteries. Ideally, you'll want thecharging monitor panel mounted near the coach's panel.

If you skipped the factory generator, you'll have space and weight capacity for banks of 6v Golf Cart batteries. Trojan Battery makes the best. Unscrew the curb-sidebasement wall and you'll find all the 110v circuits and lots of space for the inverter and transfer switches.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
Site Team

Michael I agree,

That's a good point! We all pick apart the company on the little things we scratch our heads on, wondering why they didn't consider something or go one step further in fixing something. But we also have to remember how obliging the company is in trying to help us with our needs.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #5

Part of that may be the fact that we've become a culture of complainers and part could be that we bought these wonderful trailers to enhance our leisure time. When a problem arises, no matter how minute, my first reaction is to complain. I tend to be quick to complain and slow to compliment but have been trying to reverse those two habits.

I should know, and I do, that things are going to go wrong in an RV. How could they not? We have dual electrical systems, gas and water plumbing systems, audio/visual systems, generators, solar panels walls that move in and out...etc...etc. All of this on a trailer that has it's own electrical and braking systems. Parts are going to wear out, stick, break or just plain stop working.
Problems are going to arise, there's no stopping it, no matter well we maintain our rigs, but those problems shouldn't arise shortly after we take ownership and the companies know that. That's why they warranty their products.

Going forward, I'll try to keep my comments, especially my negative ones, fact based and not speculate about the attitudes or practices of Redwood and it's employees. It's too easy for me to read about an issue someone has then pile on or fan the flames.. not a good way to promote the fine products we've decided to buy.

That's all I have for now... sorry if that was a rant.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #6

Steve you said a mouth full there, like you I was quick to complain but being a business owner myself in the RV industry I quickly found that I was placing blame where it did not belong and have since changed my ways. Don't get me wrongI do have a relapse once in a while (I'm not perfect).

So the point I'm making is that complaining doesn't solve the problemit only makes it worse so the first step to takea deep breath and think out your strategy then execute your plan to get the issue resolved.

it is OK to vent your frustrations but I try to point the frustration at the source of the problem.

As always thats just my opinion.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #7

It is all good. That is why we are part of the RW family.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #8

Thats right Mike

Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Site Team

Steve, I never considered you a complainer. You know we could start a RW group for the 12 step program for complainers though.

We could all park our Redwoods in a circle and then set up picnic tables inside the circle. It would go something like this........Hi I'm Dave and I'm a complainer...HI DAVE! ya I complained about the fuel prices today...AWWWWW poor Dave. ........Then we all have a drink. Then our wives would point out how much we complain in private which would give us all a reason to drink again.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #10

lol.... that post could generate more discussion than which truck is best for towing.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #11

While some of you are ridiculing the "complainers", keep in mind that there are purchasersout therewhostillcan't retract their bedroom slideouts, can't raise their landing gear, can't use their dishwasher or clothes washer without leaks, hear popping from their leveling system or can't take a shower without mildewing their carpet. Depending on the problems, some of these"whiners" are facing weeks of aggravation before they get their problems straightened out -or even use their unit again.

No matter how much you want to "cheer" and psych each other up to stay positive, purchasers facing serious issueswon't let you turnthis forum into a "feel good" marketing tool for the company.Real change needs to occur and that will turn people positive. Right now, members have different styles of discussing their list of disappointmentsand getting their point across. Some just want to vent. So be it. Redwood can easily reduce the level of frustration with better inspection and committment of resources.

For me, this forum represents a place to learn from andhelp others gain information or resolve issues. It's not a place to filter comments to assure positive messages or put down members who are just stating the obvious.Quality Control... let's talk about it.

What's next... youneed or want to provide information on adefect, but youdon't want to bring it upbecause it might be viewed as a complaint or might tarnish the "quality image" of the product? Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #12

Mike, I don't think that was anyones intent. Yes there are real problems out there and they need to be brought to the attention of Redwood, wining or complaining on the Forum won't resolve the problem.
I feel Wet Bolts that won't take grease are a serious problem, because if I can't get grease into them I'll end up replacing parts. Right now Lippert is in the process of sending me a new Wet Bolt Kit, with a RMA to return the ones that won't take grease. This took an e-mail to Brian who sent it on to Lippert, and several follow-up e-mails directly with Lippert with a copy to Brian.
And BTW here we are discussing things other than Solar Panels which is the subject of this tread, so we as members need to watch what and where we post or this whole forum will become useless for researching problems. Enough said
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
par

All
very interesting, but nothing to do with Solar Panels???
To
get back to the subject, do any of you have any solar panels? My
concern is that they probably can be installed on top of the unit but
is it not also a goal to park your unit in the shade when possible
thereby reducing the output of the panels. Would it not be more
efficient to get loose panels that can be better placed?
I
am working a scenario to replace the generator with a hefty set of
batteries and inverter/charger, keeping weight in mind of course.
Thanks!

par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Site Team

Reasonable, rational concerns are the answer. As has been noted on this forum, I think the company has been addressing the problems as they have come up better than other RV companies. The RV industry as a whole has issues that seem to carry from one manufacture to the other because they copy each others so much and use the same suppliers.

This was also true of the auto manufactures up to the late 60's when the foreign car companies came in and made the American car companies take note. Since then every car we buy is better or it is quickly eliminated. I really hope that doesn't happen in the RV world but maybe that's what it's going to take.

In the mean time, I have found problems with my Redwood but the company has stepped up to the plate each time.

If I were going to go out today with the knowledge and experiences I have, I WOULD STILL BUY THE SAME REDWOOD OVER AGAIN.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #15

There was never any intent to ridicule or belittle someone for complaining about a problem they are having with their Redwood. Nor was there a suggestion that we be faithful cheer leaders for Redwood regardless of the quality.

I can't speak for others but my post was more about me and my behavior. About my propensity for complaining about a problem before seeking a solution to it. The change I want to make in myself is to be more faithful about using this forum as a tool to help solve my Redwood problems and to help other Redwood owners solve theirs. Also to involve Redwood in the problem/solution process so they can improve their products for future owners.

The "culture of complaining" I made was a comment on our nation as a whole, not on the membership of this forum. If it came across otherwise I apologize.

On straying from the original topic, yes we have, yes we do and most likely it will happen again. It isn't an exclusive problem to this forum though, it's true in every forum I've visited. One small, off topic comment leads to another and before you know it we have strayed far from the original topic. We've mentioned it in other posts and even tried a "let's talk forum" to help alleviate the problem.
I guess we'll just have to politely remind each other when we start to stray off topic.

Polite reminder: we are off topic.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #16

Like Steves post MYpost was to talk about how I have delt with issues in the pastand how I have changed how I deal with issues currently. My post was not directed at anybody at all. If someone took it that I directed the post towards them I am sorry for that.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #17
Site Team

I think it's time for a group hug

Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #18

Par, you may be able to have both fixed and portable solar panels. I know there are several companies that make flexible panels that you can roll up and store when not needed or unroll them when needed. I saw these flexible panels at an Escapees rally and the demonstrator had the panel hanging from a step ladder. He also had fixed panels mounted on his roof. I was not interested in solar at the time so I did't get the name of the company but I googled "flexible solar panel" and got quite a few returns.
One of the major things you'll have to address is the lighting. Redwood uses halogens throughout the trailer. I think mine has 29 of them. I will replace them with LEDs eventually but I'm waiting to see which ones everyone else is using.
As far as a solar prep package from the factory, it'd be best to contact them directly and see how much of your needs they can address. As mentioned earlier in this topic, the company is very accommodating when it comes to custom requests.
I don't know who to contact but someone here probably does. Bryon?
Edited by: TravelinAnderson
Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #19

I would call Andy Wesdorf he is a sales rep. that is very knowledgeable I'll look for his number and post it later.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #20

Here is his email address: awesdorp@redwood-rv.com