Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
Par, you may be able to have both fixed and portable solar panels. I know there are several companies that make flexible panels that you can roll up and store when not needed or unroll them when needed. I saw these flexible panels at an Escapees rally and the demonstrator had the panel hanging from a step ladder. He also had fixed panels mounted on his roof. I was not interested in solar at the time so I did't get the name of the company but I googled "flexible solar panel" and got quite a few returns.

One of the major things you'll have to address is the lighting. Redwood uses halogens throughout the trailer. I think mine has 29 of them. I will replace them with LEDs eventually but I'm waiting to see which ones everyone else is using.

As far as a solar prep package from the factory, it'd be best to contact them directly and see how much of your needs they can address. As mentioned earlier in this topic, the company is very accommodating when it comes to custom requests.

I don't know who to contact but someone here probably does. Bryon?
Here are a couple of sites, you might check out. solar-electric.com and wholesalesolar.com. you can down load a load evaluation sheet, to determine what size system you might need. like what size and how many panel, how many batts, what size wiring, what size inverter and so forth.

Lillyputz
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #22
par

Thanks Lillyputz, I will check them out!
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #23

Par,

I have two very good sources of information about batteries and solar usage for RV's. They are long but I have learned a lot from them.

The 12volt Side of Life << two parts...

Solar RV Panels - Camp Anywhere In Style << many pages...

HTH, Keith

KWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #24
par

Excellent sites!!!

Thanks Keith.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #25

When I ordered my unit I originally requested that the factory see if they could do a "Solar Prep" to which they replied they could. They later reneged and said it wasn't possible at this time.
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #26

That surprises me considering the other things they have done for people.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #27
par

John317,
That's surprising... given their moto is to cater to 'baby boomers' I would have thought this would have beena no brainer for them especially since its done by others.
How long ago was that?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #28

I think they havealso added random 12v, COAX or AC cables to other'sunits if you specify the location early enough in their planning process. As far as fulfilling special requests, I don't think you can do better than Redwood. It's surprisingwhat they will do.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by par

John317,
That's surprising... given their moto is to cater to 'baby boomers' I would have thought this would have beenÂ*a no brainer for them especially since its done by others.
How long ago was that?
Â*
It was about 6 weeks ago. I requested the change via an email to my Sales Rep, Doug Richards, who got back to me within 48hrs saying the factory had approved the change. Then a week or so later he contacted me saying they couldn't do it. I think they realized there is a lot more to consider than just running a couple of wires. I also ordered Gen Prep and know from experience when you have a Solar system with battery banks with an Inverter and a Generator system they all have to be integrated with the 50 amp "Shore Power " system which involves some expensive switching and monitoring equipment. In other words it requires some Enginering. I just don't think they are ready to devote the effort without a significant demand. I would like to see it as an option. BTW a bank of 4 six volt batteries weighs about 300lbs, almost the same as the Generator.
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #30
par

Funny you should mention that, I am an Electrical Engineer, so that's not an issue. All we really need are wires to be passed from the roof and control panel area to the 'power center', a job that may be impossible (or very messy) once the unit it built.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #31

You're right, maybe they aren't ready to offerthe Solar Prep option. Probably don't want to integrate another source with their monitor panel or an inverter/transfer switch with their circuit panel just yet. But it should be on their "suggestion box" list for development.

I previously installed a high output multipanelsystem on my prior 5th Wheel. It worked well.But the limiting factor for dry-camping was always the size of the tanks. Since Redwood has designed-inlarge fresh water and holding tanks, extended dry-camping with solar is even more viable now.

In the interim, those interested in a solar array could at least request that the required 8, 10ga wires be dropped from the roof into the monitor panel closet and then to the front compartments. I think they will do that by request.Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #32
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John317
When I ordered my unit I originally requested that the factory see if they could do a "Solar Prep" to which they replied they could. They later reneged and said it wasn't possible at this time.

I too looked into it when I ordered my rig and they said the same to me

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #33
par

I just went through the Batteries discussions andthese questions did not come up.
1) I presume (please correct me if I'm wrong) the Redwood comes with a battery charger that runs off shore power?
2)If so, is that a multi-stage charger and what is it's capacity?
3) Those of you with the generator, does the Redwood come with the ability to recharge the batteries from the generator or is it simply off shore power?
4) Can the tow vehicle recharge those batteries?
Thanks!
Paul
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #34

Par,
The converter does work when you are plugged into shore power and when the generator is running, it puts out a variable amount of amperage up to a maximum of 100 amps.
Hope this answers your questions.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #35
par

All except one... according to the literature if the charger is not a multi-stage device you will not get maximum use out of deep-cyle batteries. In fact one person went as far as saying that they will 'ruin your batteries prematurely'. At several 100 bucks a piece they deserve to be 'pampered'.
Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #36

I don't know about the converter in the Redwoods but I have not had any troubles with other converters and I'm still using the same 4 U2200 interstate golf cart batteries that are almost 10 years old. I routinely check them and they are holding at 106% capacity.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #37
par

That's great, doesn't seem to be any issue there... would be nice to know if in fact you were using a multi-stage charger to prove (or disprove) the pundits.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #38

In answer to your other question about whether or not the TV will charge the TT batteries when towing, the answer is yes.
So a word of caution, if you are boondocking for an extended period of time make sure to disconnect the power cord from the truck or you'll be draining it's batteries.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #39

Par,

I'm pretty sure the converter would be what they call a "three-stage converter" and it will do just fine with your batteries when connected to a land line.

But, most batteries specify a specific voltages that works best for charging and I don't know if the converter in the Redwood allows for any adjustment.

Sooooo, can one of you Redwood owners post the Manufacturer and Model number of your converter?

That way we can look it up and answer Par's question about charging.

Thanks, Keith

Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
So a word of caution, if you are boondocking for an extended period of time make sure to disconnect the power cord from the truck or you'll be draining it's batteries.
Steve, doesn't your TV have an "isolator" in it that disconnects the TV battery and TV charging circuit from the Redwood when the engine is not running?

My Explorer does and it is a 2007. So when I pull my SOB (Some Other Brand) trailer and stop for sight seeing for several hours, I don't need to disconnect the trailer.

Keith