Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

Smoke coming out from under our Redwood

We had some smoke coming out from under our Redwood during our move from Florida NY (approx. 40 miles Northwest of NYC) to College Park MD (Northside Beltway of Washington DC)
I removed all the wheel / brake hubs and found no grease inside any wheel or on any of the brakes. (Note: I pulled all our wheel / brake hubs shortly after purchasing our Redwood and inspected all the brakes, added some grease to the bearings by hand and installed new seals)
The only issue I found with the grease was it was a little "Soupy" and "Runny" so I cleaned all the bearings and hubs real good and repacked the bearings with Valvoline Synthetic High Temperature Bearing Grease.
As far as the brakes, all looked good but I noticed more brake dust in the both of the front axle brakes than the rear axle brakes. Upon inspection I found a brake wire for the rear brakes had got caught in the rear leaf spring and was pinched / cut. It looked like Redwood left a little too much wire slack on the rear axle brake assembly coming down from the underbelly that allowed it to get caught in the leaf spring.
I repaired the cut wire, shortened up the rear axle brake wire coming from the underbelly, cleaned all the brake dust out and put everything back to together then adjusted the brakes.
One our trip down to Max Meadows VA yesterday, our Redwood pulled and stopped great, no smoke and stopping power coming down some of the steep grades was good.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:58 AM   #2

I just put on the More/ryde SRE4000 equalizers and wet bolt kit last weekend. You are correct the rear wheels had a lot of access wire so I re-worked mine and also put some plastic wrap over the wires to help protect them. Hopefully that will help prevent some problems down the road.