Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #1

This upgrade was easy and the least expensive upgrade we've done to date on our Redwood, and in hindsight it's likely the most important one. After watching a segment on 60 Minutes last year in testing smoke alarms, I discovered that standard Ionization smoke alarms can take up to 30 minutes to sound an alarm during a slow smoldering fire.

For less that $20 we invested in a Kidde Dual Ionization and Photoelectric Sensor Smoke Alarm. It took two minutes to replace the old ionization unit, and now we have dual coverage.

From The US Fire Administration of FEMA:

"Ionization alarms sound more quickly when a flaming, fast moving fire occurs. Photoelectric alarms are quicker at sensing smoldering, smoky fires. There are also combination smoke alarms that combine ionization and photoelectric into one unit, called dual sensor smoke alarms.

Because both ionization and photoelectric smoke alarms are better at detecting distinctly different yet potentially fatal fires, and because homeowners cannot predict what type of fire might start in a home, the USFA recommends the installation of both ionization and photoelectric or dual sensor smoke alarms.

In addition to the basic types of alarms, there are alarms made to meet the needs of people with hearing disabilities. These alarms may use strobe lights that flash and/or vibrate to assist in alerting those who are unable to hear standard smoke alarms when they sound."

Lowes, Home Depot and most home improvement stores carry these dual smoke alarms.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #2

Excellent info. Didn't know there were two types. Thanks.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #3

Very good. Of the two, Ionization is the detector of choice for RVs because of the type of construction materials used in an RV vs a house, however your dual detection is better than either by themselves.

I haven't done it yet, but I plan on adding the First Alert wireless voice type in addition to our Ionization, which are photoelectric and Carbon Monoxide that communicate with each other wireless. With that, I can add a third to the basement. When one goes off, they all sound.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Site Team

My smoke alarm detects burning toast rather quickly and does a hell of a job noticing bacon as well. Maybe it's part dog
Old 05-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

I can attest to the toaster as well, and it wasn't even toasted to perfection before the alarm went off.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote