Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #1

Smell in 1/2 bathroom

2016 39MB. We have a slight sewer smell in the small bathroom that I have reduced but not eliminated. So far I have:filled with water and Dawn soap and black tank sensor treatment several times, thoroughly used the wand to spray it out, used double doses of tank treatment on regular basis and dump it every two weeks, needed or not. I have also checked toliet to floor seal. My 7 th RV and never had one like this, main bath has no issues. I am leaning towards a leak in vent line as the smell is similarl to what you would experience with a rv in an enclosed garage. Not sure if it is even possible to get to the vent line?? Comments? Thoughts?
Pockets52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #2

Check the vent under the sink. Not sure what the device is called but most likely it's not vented through the roof but has a vent type doodad under there that are prone to go bad allowing to vent into the room.
IMG_20191104_093736303.jpg
On your RW it will be black piping, but looks similar to this.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:30 AM   #3

There is one of those in my Carriage 5er, I looked under the vanity On the RW and don’t see one on the drain pipe under the sink. There is a gadget of some sort on what looks like a water supply line to the sink. When I get back home later this week I will take another look. Thanks
Pockets52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:19 AM   #4

The other is the backflow/anti siphon on the black tank flush line.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Check the vent under the sink. Not sure what the device is called but most likely it's not vented through the roof but has a vent type doodad under there that are prone to go bad allowing to vent into the room.

Attachment 3658

On your RW it will be black piping, but looks similar to this.

The device is called a Studor vent and they certainly do fail. Many of us have discovered that often the 1/2 bath sink is piped into the black tank instead of going to the gray tank with the kitchen sink. Not a good situation.
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
par

This situation may not apply to you, but we had a bad smell in our FL36 bathroom. Long story short, we have a washing machine in the bathroom with a P trap. The P trap had an extremely tiny pinhole in it. I was lucky to find this. The pin hole allowed the trap to drain very slowly (basically a drip inside the wall) and go dry which allowed the smell to come up from the gray tank. Fairly easy repair but not so easy to find.
Good luck!
Old 11-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #7

These air admittance valves are supposed to allow air to come in but not allow the air to enter the coach. They do fail. Most are cheap and some are better and more expensive. I saw these available at Lowes a few years ago. Should be able to find them at most larger home improvement stores.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5157.JPG (123.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5159.JPG (83.9 KB, 8 views)

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote