Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #1

Slideout problem

Well, we came over some rough road traveling north through Arkansas up to Joplin, Mo. We have a 36FB and when we put the main slides out, the passenger side slide started separating the inside fascia from the slide. About an inch gap. The forward end of the slide seems to be tilted out at the top. Anyone else had this problem? Any recommendations or easy fixes?

Thanks,
Dave
Dross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:14 AM   #2

Did that catch on the sofa? We remove and place that end cushion on a recliner because we almost took that trim piece off in our early RW Days.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #3
Site Team

It must be over extending........mine did that and Redwood fixed it.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
It must be over extending........mine did that and Redwood fixed it.
Dave may be on the right track. It may not have anything to do with what Dave is suggesting but it is a very good possibility. I have had some issues with my kitchen slide and after dealing with it I suspect other Redwood owners will eventually be dealing with similar issues based on the type of "adjustable slide bracket" that Redwood uses. If you look under the slide you will see 2 rams (square tubes that slide in and out from the frame). The active ram will be the one with the additional silver rod (hydraulic) that actually controls the distances the slide goes in and out. The other ram is the passive ram and simply follows the active rams guide by the running gear which runs from the active ram across to the passive ram. Any adjustment to in and out travel are made by adjusting the three nuts on the active ram. Directions can be found on the Lci website. I suspect that if one side is extending farther than the other side, I would look at the end of the passive slide and check the adjustable bracket. This bracket(on my 31SL) has only 1 bolt attaching it to the ram. It has an adjustable slot cut into it on the top which, when the bolt is loosened, will allow that end of the slide to be pushed in or out so it will be synchronized with the active ram side. My bracket was bent from the slide weight which is not allowing the slide top to be parallel with the side of the redwood. Also, because the bracket only has 1 bolt holding it on the ram, the bracket is also bent. I was able to loosen the bolt and with a jack and help, I was able to adjust mine enough to resolve my immediate issue but the design is troubling to say the least. I visited a local dealership to see what the tech would suggest as a fix. He showed me SOB with the exact system and it was also bent. He stated that he thought Lci had come out with a new bracket with 2 bolts holding it on the end of the ram. I then contacted Lci which couldn't even tell me which slide system the Redwood had. He stated that Lci would normally use the 2 1/2 inch slide system on fifth wheels as heavy as Redwoods but they only provide what the manufacturer orders. He told me to measure the inside ram tube to determine the slide system mine has. It measures 2" not 21/2". So then the question is, "Is redwood under building for the sake of saving money" or does the tech at Lci even know what he is talking about"? I then called Tiara RV hoping they could tell me what bracket I needed to order to fix the issue and they stated that I would have to get that info from LcI. Good luck with that. I found a parts list from Lci showing the different bracket available and I ordered what I think is a 2 bolt bracket that may work to sturdy up that end. I received the bracket but they are made a little different and I have not been able to get to the Redwood yet to see if it may work. Sorry I went on and on and may have caused more confusion but I think it would be in all the owners best interest to check out the passive slide adjustable brackets to see if this will be an issue for them in the future.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #5

Slide trouble

Thanks Rick and Dave. I have an appointment next week to have it looked at. I literally have a one inch gap between the fascia and the backer boards. I called the factory customer service line and they sent me an e-mail covering adjustment and said they wouldn't look at it unless it was under warranty. Big help.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:49 AM   #6

Just to post an update. There is much confusion in the Lci literature and parts list as to what adjustable head assemblies are even available right now. Many of the head assemblies shown on their parts list for the 2" x 2" slide systems will not even come up when you input their part numbers in the "search" so apparently many are no longer available. The part I ordered to replace the single hole adjustable head on the kitchen slide was "173594". When I checked to see if it was the one I needed it is not but it is the one that will work on the dining slide (flush floor side). I have found 2 others in their parts lists that are available, #166441 and #148425. I believe the "148425 is exactly what is on there now but I would like to get Lci to confirm that. The other, "166441" I believe may be the one needed for the raised kitchen slide. I'm hoping it is the one that replaced the 1 hole assembly that is on there now. I will be contacting Lci to see if I can get more detailed explanation of the two assemblies. If I ever can confirm that one of those is the correct one, I will order one and give an update when I get it.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:33 AM   #7

Thanks Rick. I get my RW back on Saturday. When I get I want to see if I have the one hole or two hole version. One of the repair items is the curb side slide.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
Thanks Rick. I get my RW back on Saturday. When I get I want to see if I have the one hole or two hole version. One of the repair items is the curb side slide.
Scott, since yours is newer then mine, I will be interested in seeing if your slides have the 1 or 2 hole assemblies. I haven't had much time recently contact Lci to figure this thing out. Been in the middle of painting the exterior of a house. Almost done, so maybe next week I can figure this thing out.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Rick
Can you post a pic of yours. Mine has 2 bolts holding the end of the slide to the track
Old 04-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Rick
Can you post a pic of yours. Mine has 2 bolts holding the end of the slide to the track
Shane, I can't find my pic right now but I attached it on another thread. Look under Redwood Care and Feeding, thread "Synchronizing Kitchen Slide" post #4. I hope this helps, if you can't easily find it, I will search for my pic and repost. Could you post a pic of yours? Trying to figure out the correct part number. If you go to Lci parts and search for the part numbers I posted previously it will give you an idea of what I am up against. If you look at the passive ram on the dining room slide and the kitchen slide you will see the difference in the two assemblies. I have managed to purchase the correct one for the dining slide but the kitchen slide assembly has a 1 3/4 inch offset where the u-channel meets the flat part. Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #11

I think I finally got the correct item numbers to order the part "2-hole" part I want to replace the 1-hole part with. I spent some time yesterday talking to Crossroads/Redwood customer service and they were extremely helpful! They were able to give me part numbers and which Lci part number that corresponded. I don't want to post part numbers yet until I physically get the part and it is the correct part, but I was super impressed with Redwoods help. They sent me an e-mail with the appropriate numbers and diagrams with exact measurements of the parts. I hope to get the part ordered this week. Will keep everyone updated. Yes, it does appear that the original 1-hole assembly has been replaced by a 2-hole assembly but I don't know when that change took place so it is possible that the later Redwoods have the 2-hole assembly.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:35 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Rick
Here is a picture of the kitchen slide on mine the dinette slide is identical
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160430_162644.jpg (235.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20160430_162617.jpg (139.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-01-2016, 01:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Rick
Here is a picture of the kitchen slide on mine the dinette slide is identical
Shane, notice that on the active ram the assembly is welded. That side stays stationary(bottom pic). The top pic is just like mine and the bracket is held on to the ram with 1 bolt. It can be adjusted in or out in relation to the side of the fifth wheel so that end of the slide is synchronized with the other welded end. You can see on yours that the end of the assembly is starting to raise some on yours. Mine is much more raised than yours and the new assembly I am trying to replace it with uses 2 bolts. You can see on your ram that there is another hole for a 2 hole assembly. The 2 bolt assembly should keep the slide wall parallel with the side of the coach. With the end of the 1 bolt assembly raised up it results in the top of the slide not meeting the bulb seal when in the retracted position. Look at mine, I finally found the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07076.jpg (161.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07074.jpg (146.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-22-2016, 03:32 AM   #14

I called Redwood and the first thing out of their mouths was "Is it still under warranty". I said it was about six months past. They told me they didn't work on anything not under warranty. This was only our second trip using it. Great customer service.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #15

What a shame, I just read a post from a DRV customer with a 5 year old Mobile Suites that he took to the DRV service center for some repairs and upgrades.
He was very happy with the service and support he received.
Talked to a number of people with Tiffin Coaches, Tiffin will do coach work out of warranty and when the situation is caused by a manufacturing issues, Tiffin does the right thing all the time even out of warranty.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #16
Site Team

customer service shouldn't only be for warranty work. Many RV companies offer service at reasonable rates for customers out of warranty.

When I toured Newmar they said that they supported all years of the Newmar product and they also do work on ALL other brands of RVs as well. If Redwood won't help you, call Newmar and see if they will. They're only about 15 miles from the Redwood plant.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
What a shame, I just read a post from a DRV customer with a 5 year old Mobile Suites that he took to the DRV service center for some repairs and upgrades.
He was very happy with the service and support he received.
Talked to a number of people with Tiffin Coaches, Tiffin will do coach work out of warranty and when the situation is caused by a manufacturing issues, Tiffin does the right thing all the time even out of warranty.
Robert I agree, Tiffin is well known for their service and covering manufacturing defects well past the warranty. As Bob Tiffin was quoted as saying....."If we built it wrong then, even though at the time we thought it was right, it's still wrong today".

There are 4 different RV companies known for their customer support and because of this support they continue to grow;

Tiffin
Entegra
Winnebago (they now make 5th wheels)
Newmar (it's a shame they stopped production of 5th wheels)

Redwood has something to learn from these folks
Old 05-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #18

I agree Dave, if Redwood wants to stand out and make their mark in the Luxury 5th Wheel Market, they have something to learn about customer service and customer care.

The typical Luxury 5th Wheel customer is more demanding of the product expectations, quality and customer support.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #19
Site Team

RV manufactures seem to match each others glitz, glitter or components. The service goes much deeper than the looks and this is where many fail. Yet at the RV shows, it's the first impression that gets most folks, many times not thinking twice about the service or company support. I always get a kick out of hearing the representatives at the RV show stating that they have the best product, service or warranty.

I always respond the same way......"would the customer that bought from you 2 years ago agree?"
Old 05-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #20

OK! FINALLY! Sorry it took so long to get back to this post but the process has been confusing to say the least. I will post 2 different posts so as to try not to confuse any more than necessary. Let's discuss the kitchen slide(street slide) first. The original adjustable head assembly that came on my 31SL is a 1-hole assembly, Lci #141792. Mine has already caused problems but there is a replacement upgraded part that can replace it as long as your passive ram it attaches has 2holes already drilled in it. Mine does so the 2-hole replacement part is Lci #166441 or Redwood # 241094. The confusion from the start for me was that when you look up this Lci number it describes it as "3/8 Standard Adjustable 2" x 2" Head Assembly". The description is wrong on their website. The description should actually be "Adjustable Head Assembly - 1-3/4 - 2 x 2". Even Lci doesn't know why the description is wrong on their website. There are three places to order this part, through Redwood/crossroads, through Lci, or from rvupgradestore.com. They are all comparably priced except shipping is different. I ordered through rvupgradestore.com because their shipping was the lowest. What is funny, is, when ordered through rvupgradestore, it comes direct from Lci with Lci label on the box but the shipping was half of what Lci charged. The parts are not painted as you can see in the pic, so you will need to paint yourself which is what I am doing .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07149.jpg (168.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07153.jpg (463.9 KB, 12 views)