Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #1

I had my toppers added on all the slides after the purchase at the dealer, they did a great job, but said they will have them done at the factory on all the Redwoods they buy from now on. The factory install them regularly and can do a better, cheaper job. Plus it's still a bargaining tool if you negociate before the sale.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #2

I would agree, the factory can accessorize much cheaper than retrofitting at the Dealer.

I'm surprised the Dealer would commit to ordering all of his inventory units with toppers. Usually they don't dress them out that far because it drives the MSRP up. I just don't see that many on the lot with toppers.

They do look nice on there in black!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
I would agree, the factory can accessorize much cheaper than retrofitting at the Dealer.

I'm surprised the Dealer would commit to ordering all of his inventory units with toppers. Usually they don't dress them out that far because it drives the MSRP up. I just don't see that many on the lot with toppers.

They do look nice on there in black!
He sold five the week I bought mine and they all wanted toppers, I had to wait on mine because they only had white, yes the black looks great and it will help out with leaves and rain.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #4

I would imagine folks would want them in the south. Here we don't have leaves and rain, we have wind and dust and snow and UV, and did I mention wind I made sure we did NOT get them. I did get the extra awning though, and its black.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #5

We choose NOT to add them. We had them on out last 5th Wheel and they flapped often (loud).

We thought we could buy them later...so far happy not having them.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #6

Our dealer advised against them. Said they were more problems than help.
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #7

Obviously a personal choice item. We ordered and received our 2013 36RE without them based upon the recommendations of two dealers. Their reasoning was that they do tend to collect water in heavy rains and that the tops of the slides are easily accessible without the toppers for quick cleaning if needed.

Our motorhome has them and they do tend to "droop" in the middle and to hold water at times. They also make cleaning the top of the slide under the topper very challenging.

So again...a personal choice item.
jpdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1117
Our dealer advised against them. Said they were more problems than help.
My dealer said the same thing so I didn't get them. I figured I'm still agile enough to get up on the roof to check for debris so I really didn't need them.

My problem is that I do like the way that they look on a trailer. In my opinion it gives a "finishing touch" look to a rig.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #9

The guy parked next to us has them on his Cedar Creek and swears by them. I swear at them 'cause when the wind blows he sounds like a 747 on final. Don't think I want them.
2013 Redwood 36RL Full paint D/W W/D 2 A/C's and all the other stuff.
jrgkfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #10

I have to agree with Dave and John. They make the rig look great but can drive you nuts!!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
par

This is an interesting topic... when I first saw the toppers I figured I had to have them but now I am on the fence again. I presumed this was a no brainer, now I am hearing that they:
-are noisy in the wind,
-hold rain water (and even worse, snow)
-make cleaning more difficult... this is counter to my belief since aren't they suppose to stop the dirt.

I guess we need to decide if looks are more important than functionality... I'm leaning towards functionality.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by par
This is an interesting topic... when I first saw the toppers I figured I had to have them but now I am on the fence again. I presumed this was a no brainer, now I am hearing that they:
-are noisy in the wind,
-hold rain water (and even worse, snow)
-make cleaning more difficult... this is counter to my belief since aren't they suppose to stop the dirt.

I guess we need to decide if looks are more important than functionality... I'm leaning towards functionality.

Having done both. Are you going to be more in a wooded area or mor in the open space?

You can always add them later if you choose. They are difficult to remove in a wind storm (some folks end up having to put in their slide-outs).

Just my two cents.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #13

We had them on our Montana and now on our RW, well at least on 2 of the 3 slides, because we have the second awning on the LR slide, no topper there. We have not been bothered by noise from the topper, actually have never heard them make any noiseand we weathered some pretty good winds. Yes they do tend to hold water, but generally the wind will push most of the water off. Where we park the RW at the house, it's surrounded by trees, including some Pines, so I really hate haveing to get on the roof and sweep it off before retracting the LR slide. The other slides aren't a problem, leaves pretty much drop off as the topper rolls up. We like them enough that we're still trying to see if we could get one added to the LR slide.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #14

Hey Michelle... we are without a topper on the awning side too. We chose to add the additional awning on our 36RL so the topper was not possible. If you find a way to add that third topper, please post to the forum. Down here in Texas the toppers really help with the heat in the summer.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #15

Our 36RL came with the 2 awnings and slide toppers, black. We love them. Contrary to what others have posted, we don't hear them in the wind. And that is after going thru all the storms that have come thru NJ. When Hurricane Sandy hit, the one topper had a branch that went thu it. Had it hit the slide directly, who knows what would have happened. The down side is that they do fill up with water and snow. Oh well though, they look nice and are worth any downside.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #16

I just looked at one with the 2nd awning and a slide topper.

Edited by: atom ant
Old 03-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #17

They have changed by lower or making the Dining area window smaller so they put that awning down a little lower making room for the topper mounting above the awning.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #18

All they did was move the awning down so that it clears the slide topper I installed mine by myself it took about three hours but I also had to paint the rail and screws to match the Trailer
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote