Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

We were setting up, jacks down, check...power hooked up, check...bedroom slide...check. Main slide...nothing. This was yesterday (Sunday), did all the checks that I knew (limited). Still nothing. Called the rescue (Coach-net?). Was told we weren't eligible as we were a Thor product. After dancing around and asking to talk with management, they said they would make an exception. After Registration", found out they were no techs available. They did call back about 20 min later. The tech did not know anything about RW, just general. He did try to tell me about the in-line breakers that were in the battery comp. To no avail...spent the night without slides.
This AM called RW and talked with techs. In about 1/2 hour we had bypassed the culprit (bad relay). RW tech was GREAT (even though I had blown MY breaker at this point).

Kudos the the RW techs.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdoc4

We were setting up, jacks down, check...power hooked up, check...bedroom slide...check. Main slide...nothing. This was yesterday (Sunday), did all the checks that I knew (limited). Still nothing. Called the rescue (Coach-net?). Was told we weren't eligible as we were a Thor product. After dancing around and asking to talk with management, they said they would make an exception. After Registration", found out they were no techs available. They did call back about 20 min later. The tech did not know anything about RW, just general. He did try to tell me about the in-line breakers that were in the battery comp. To no avail...spent the night without slides.
This AM called RW and talked with techs. In about 1/2 hour we had bypassed the culprit (bad relay). RW tech was GREAT (even though I had blown MY breaker at this point).

Kudos the the RW techs.
Steve, as frustrating as I know it was...I'm glade it all worked out for you. We were in Kentucky one day and couldn't get a slide in so we were stuck until we got 4 guys all pushing at the same time. It's these experiences that will be forever burned into our heads. Funny, it's the memorable experiences are usually the result of something going wrong.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

How did you do it? This is great information to store for future use.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #4

Dave,

Just curious, which slide was it that you and four guys had to push back in.Was it the bedroom, galley, or main slide?

Guess, I should have asked if it was this coach or a previous one.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #5

All,

Here is a link from the Lippert site that should be the correct slide manual form our Redwoods:

http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/Ow...ideout-web.pdf

Details on manual override in the document.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #6

Brad, are you sure about that info?? It's not either of the slide mechanisms on our RL.Our two main slides are hydraulic and the bedroom is dual motors within the side walls of the slide.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #7

All,

Here is the link to the Slide Out page...

http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...amp;Itemid=312

My trailer is 40 minutes away so I was going from memory... go thru the picture list to find the correct slide mechanism.

Once you get to the correct slide, you will see expanded view diagrams and below that there a Tech Bulletins and Manuals you can download.

Good Luck.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #8

Zowie, nice link! Thanks Brad. I usually can't find anything on Lippert's webpage.

Now to learn all about these Shwintek slides - ON Edit - just watched about 5 of the videos and have a far better understanding of the Shwintek. Not as intimidating as it might sound. Everyone should at least look at how to over-ride electronically and manually close the bedroom slide. We are lucky these are the updated Shwinteks with the motor notch that allows the motors to come out from the inside by just snapping them out. The old way required removing the outer trim and messing up that paint.Edited by: atom ant
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #9

Thanks Brad. Everyone should keep this link available. My bedroom slide is scary slow coming in...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave

Dave,
Â*
Just curious, which slide was it that you and four guys had to push back in.Â*Was it the bedroom, galley, or main slide?
Â*
Guess, I should have asked if it was this coach or a previous one.
Â*
Thanks,
Â*
Dave
Â*
Â*
it was the bedroom slide on the RL. The forward motor went out last July. Redwood (Ron) fixed it and now it's as good as new. He did a great job and fixed the damage caused by it.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
Thanks Brad. Everyone should keep this link available. My bedroom slide is scary slow coming in...
Mike,

so was mine until they took it apart and put it back together again. Call Redwood and talk to Ron about it.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #12

Dave,

Did you have to slide the shaft up (that has the two gears)from the motor in order to help in sliding and pushing the slidein?
Or, were you guys able to use brute force to push it in?

I had a problem last year in May and was able to electronically override the motors and bringmy slide in.

Different issue then yours, I'm sure.

Dave

Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #13

One other thing they stressed is that the batteries need to have a good charge.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
Site Team

Relative to the bedroom slide............

Last fall, I was getting ready to leave on a week long trip andthe day that we were planning to depart, I was putting in the bedroom slide and it stopped about 2 inches short of going all the way in.The more I tried to move the slide in and out with the motors, the worse it became until it would stop about 4 inches short of going all the way in. So, I called Brian Emmons at RW and explained the situation to him. (I was all set to have to take our coach into the the service center.) He talked to his service department manager and the manager recommended that I get and try a product called "CRC Power Lube w/ Teflon" to spay a film of lube on the tracks that the motors drive to put the slide in and out. I did this and wow.........what a difference that lube made. The slide went all the way in the first time.

I called Brian back and told him that "he and his manager were supermen". I now carry a can of the lubricant in my tool box.

Edited by: hoosierguy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #15

It looks as though any problems are with the electric slides and not the hydraulic sliders. Am I correct in that assumption?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave

Dave,

Did you have to slide the shaft up (that has the two gears)from the motor in order to help in sliding and pushing the slidein?
Or, were you guys able to use brute force to push it in?

I had a problem last year in May and was able to electronically override the motors and bringmy slide in.

Different issue then yours, I'm sure.

Dave
We simply stood on the tail gate of the truck and push it in while my wife held the button. I found out later at the factory that they had to realign the slide and after Ron got done it really works better. My slide was always slow. Also they told me about the silicone spray for the tracks.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #17

Tom, they are talking about the electric slides, but you can have a problem with the hydraulic slide.

Last summer, after returning from the rally coincidentially, I noticed what looked like oil dripping near the staircase on my RL.After pulling down the belly pan as far as I could (they actually put the screws in from the top on the production line) about a gallon of hydraulic fluid poured out. Eventually, I discovered that it was constantlydripping from the seal at the end of the hydraulic ram for the kitchen slide - and it wasflowing across the inside the bellypan. What a mess! Briansent the dealer all the parts to repair and they cleaned it up and did the repairin one day.

I keep a close eye on it now, but think it was just a freak thing....
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy
Relative to the bedroom slide............

Last fall, I was getting ready to leave on a week long trip andthe day that we were planning to depart, I was putting in the bedroom slide and it stopped about 2 inches short of going all the way in.The more I tried to move the slide in and out with the motors, the worse it became until it would stop about 4 inches short of going all the way in. So, I called Brian Emmons at RW and explained the situation to him. (I was all set to have to take our coach into the the service center.) He talked to his service department manager and the manager recommended that I get and try a product called "CRC Power Lube w/ Teflon" to spay a film of lube on the tracks that the motors drive to put the slide in and out. I did this and wow.........what a difference that lube made. The slide went all the way in the first time.

I called Brian back and told him that "he and his manager were supermen". I now carry a can of the lubricant in my tool box.

I had that identical issue at one time. I am going to pick up a can of CRC Lube w/teflon.
I'm hoping that my slide will slide in faster or at least feel like there is less resistance.

I appreciate the heads up hoosierguy.

Dave from Maine
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #19

just bought some - thanks. That was one of three items that needed fixed during our PDI.

any issues with getting a little on the paint?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
just bought some - thanks. That was one of three items that needed fixed during our PDI.

any issues with getting a little on the paint?

Try tospray the lubricant on the track only. I pulled/pushed the weather seal strips out of the way and sprayed the track behind the seals. Brian cautioned me at the time to not use too much. I would wipe off any over spray just to be safe.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote