Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEileen View Post
What concerns me is the constant rotation of people within the company. You are going to have some that is only natural, but it seems like every time we start working with someone on an issue a month later they are gone!
When a company struggles to find the true solutions to problems, it becomes a slug fest with the employees. Typically the employees are blamed until they run out of "escape goats". Then the design and procedures come into focus as well as the overall attitude toward the product.

In my opinion......this product line has failed every since the original team was replaced due to the attitude toward the product from those that build it. They went to "we're going to build something spectacular" to "we're just another RV company".
Old 06-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
When talking with Redwood, there is a difference between the "drip pans" and the bubbling that you're described on the end caps of your slides. The drip pans were intended to protect the floors of the slides.

I think it was around the 2014 model years they changed the sheeting material used in all the end caps of the slides. Mine as well as several others had issues with the end caps of the slides bubbling. Most of these were the larger slides in the kitchens and living rooms. They were originally a thinly filmed fiber board that didn't resist water very well and it allowed the water to be wicked up from the bottom. They then went to a better material. This was more of an issue with the slides closest to the wheels but my bedroom slide walls were replaced in 2014 due to this (back when Redwood still cared).

This wicking issue was one of the major reasons Redwood resisted the painted end caps. At the 2013 rally several of the coaches had suffered from this
So Dave, would you not consider this a structural issue? Should this not be covered under the 5 year structural warranty? My Redwood
came to me with a 2/5 warranty and they are going to honor what they offered or face a lawsuit if I have to deal with any of their shenanigans!!Just sayin.......don't sell me a product and tell me I have a warranty and then take it away after you get my money!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
So Dave, would you not consider this a structural issue? Should this not be covered under the 5 year structural warranty? My Redwood
came to me with a 2/5 warranty and they are going to honor what they offered or face a lawsuit if I have to deal with any of their shenanigans!!Just sayin.......don't sell me a product and tell me I have a warranty and then take it away after you get my money!
Absolutely this should be covered under the 5 year warranty and it's because of these design flaws, that warranty was removed. They saw issues coming down the road and I believe this was the least of them.

My point was.....the company will try to listen and then deflect blame. The more someone can nail down cause and effects the better their outcome will be in dealing with issues.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #44
Site Team

FWIW, here's the drip pan and the corner pieces ( I think this is what's being referred to )

The drip tray runs along the bottom edge of the slide frame and the corner piece funnels outside any water that gets into the drip edge. I added a little bit of silicone where the wiring comes through but never had any issues before I did it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0105.JPG (105.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0107.JPG (113.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0108.JPG (137.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-05-2016, 11:24 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
FWIW, here's the drip pan and the corner pieces ( I think this is what's being referred to )

The drip tray runs along the bottom edge of the slide frame and the corner piece funnels outside any water that gets into the drip edge. I added a little bit of silicone where the wiring comes through but never had any issues before I did it.
These pictures should clear up some of the confusion. Thanks for posting them
Old 06-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #46

Well...I have to say that I never looked there before and looks like I need the vacuum in there.
Pictures are great so here is one of mine on the bedroom slide on the FL model. It's raining so you can even see drops of water landing in there as a brought it in.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020.JPG (518.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-06-2016, 02:29 AM   #47
Site Team

Thanks Steve...that's a great pic
Old 06-06-2016, 03:10 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Well...I have to say that I never looked there before and looks like I need the vacuum in there.
Pictures are great so here is one of mine on the bedroom slide on the FL model. It's raining so you can even see drops of water landing in there as a brought it in.

Steve
Great Pic! Thanks. So are all the slides set up the same way or are we only looking for the trays on the schwintek slide?
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:12 AM   #49

Dave we have both slide floor and side wall issues.
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:21 AM   #50

In other words we need to fix this and sell it. So sad.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:25 AM   #51

I have both. Just like Piper guy's and the picture I posted. My thought was with the drip tray talked about this is what was in question.

Steve
Old 06-06-2016, 03:45 AM   #52

Slide Issues

When I try to post a photo it asks for the URL and mine is on my phone . How do I attach a photo?
Old 06-06-2016, 03:46 AM   #53

They pointed to the drip tray from the outside not inside. It was in the corner by the rubber seals.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #54

Hi All,
Re-opening an old thread seeking additional information. I am attempting to come up with a solution for some minor water damage to the rear of the slide floor of my bedroom slide in my 2017 36RL (it is really a 2016 36RL layout built in Aug 2016). The exterior black plastic "L" end cap piece that is normally attached by a strip of metal trim to the bottom side of the slide has come loose and the very end of the plywood floor has minor water damage which caused the plywood laminates to separate. It extends about 2" or so into the floor so I am hoping to repair the damage instead of replacing the entire slide floor. I believe the cause was that the slide seals were not reversing properly when the slide was extended as there was nothing to initiate the seal to flip. I have since corrected this issue and will continue to inspect and monitor the seals and look for further water penetration.
Anyway I am looking to repair the plywood if possible, re-install the plastic "L" piece
and reseal everything but I had some questions that I thought some of the long time owners may have answers:
- What is the thickness of the slide sidewalls? I may put an aluminum strip on the interior and put bolts through the wall for better attachment of the "L" piece to support the end of the plywood.
- I have read that in the past Redwood added "steel plates" on the bottom of the slide just above the rollers. Does anyone have any additional info on these? I may have to add some support for the roller closest to the damage.
Thanks in advance!
Gary
Old 10-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #55

I can't help on the floor repair question, but the pieces that flip back and forth are just wipers. They don't have much to do with actual sealing. It's the"D" shaped part that does the actual sealing.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:41 AM   #56

Thumbs down

Not sure what a facel seal is (never heard that term maybe you mean facia or possibly fecal), but my bedroom slide is wet under the headboard on the floor also. 2016 39 MB. MOISTURE Would be the correct term and this is one of many problems that have popped up recently in my unit. I am rapidly losing faith in the quality of my redwood.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #57

Thanks for the feedback. I added a couple of thin steel plates to compress and strengthen the end of the plywood floor that had some water damage . I also resealed everything in the area and it appears to work just fine as far as the slide movement in and out. I also found the wiper seal has a tear near the bottom but I haven't figured out how to replace it yet. It looks complicated! I'll search on the forum for clues.
Thx
Old 05-16-2020, 03:22 AM   #58
XYZ

fyi our 2013 36 fl.... now has ROTTED floors in ALL the slides yes all 5!!!! drain pans???? nope.. plywood nope.. (particle board in all 5)... guess what sealant they missed???? Don`t get me started. Always stored indoors and stayed there from 2014-2017 (38 months) sad but true....till last fall 1 winter outside.. repair cost is far more than what the unit is worth even at wholesale costs... washed waxed... yet full of MOLD.. so much for quality workmanship... not a rookie .. been here for 8+ years.. just needed a new id/login... our 9th fiver. LUXE is next.. pics to follow.... NOT a happy camper..
XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:53 AM   #59
XYZ

not going to hi-jack this thread.. i will start a new one.. just got finished 2 out of the 5 slides... instructions?/how to and a few pics...(holy crap) of what i found to follow...
XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:32 AM   #60

Slides need constant attention to keep the moisture out....I have found a few different area's of concern....water running down the side of the slides....and the plywood edge at the extreme bottom "wicking" in moisture....causes :....poor lower sealant....broken or dislodged (or missing) lower corner "L" plastic molding...damage to the underside of the slide to the fabric or plastic coating (which ever you have) allowing moisture egress...Also seen poor sealant (or missing) above and around any windows in the end of the slide(s)..
Next I have seen the "eterna bond" tape failure on the top of the slide letting moisture in high in the slide walls / ceiling...
I have seen water follow the Schwintec track into the trailer...possible cause....trailer not level...(the slide rooms do have a little slope away from the trailer)....also I have seen water around a slide get in during a storm....where its windy while raining (hard to solve that one )....
Next is the slide facia molding ...this is the flange framework on the outside of the slide room that carry the outer "bulb" seal...that seals when slides are closed....These are not sealed behind....BEWARE....if the tiny bit of sealant the factory has put on the top edge of these aluminum moldings fails...water runs down the outside of your slide room...gets in behind this molding and penetrates the edge of the slide room floor plywood...VERY COMMON FAILURE....needs to be monitored and keep the sealant in good shape.
Slides are a huge advancement in RV comfort and space....possibly one of the most popular advancements in RV construction....not many RV's don't have at least one slide these days....But they need care and maintenance...ongoing.
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote