Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
Site Team

Side skirts flapping

Since we have so many new owners on here, I thought I would re-post something from long ago.

It's not uncommon to notice the lower skirts of these trailers flopping in the wind while they're being pulled down the road. This is caused by the self tapping screws coming loose from the brackets. To solve this problem, I went to the hardware store and bought the following (all stainless steel):

size 10-32x3/4 machine screws (box of 100 $14.99)
size 10-32 stop nuts (nylon bushed) (box of 100 $19.49)
size 5/32 X 7/8 flat washers (box of 100 $13.49)

Remove all the self tapping screws and slightly drill out the hole making them bigger. Put the above mentioned screws, washers and nuts in their place and the problem is solved for ever. These will not vibrate loose.

I have also put the same system on my fender skirts but with smaller washers.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #2

^ Is this something we should HAVE to do in a high dollar rig?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #3

Dave, you forgot to mention the added aluminium straps to brace the fenders. I know there are pictures of this on here some where but don't remember where. It does make a world of difference. Jerry you are right we shouldn't have to do this but it's a case of they build these on an assembly line and cheap screws are quicker.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:56 PM   #4

Shouldn't have to do it on a low dollar rig - just part of the hobby.

Seems to always be this illusion that high dollar equals high quality! Oxymoron in the RV industry.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Shouldn't have to do it on a low dollar rig - just part of the hobby.

Seems to always be this illusion that high dollar equals high quality! Oxymoron in the RV industry.
So, when you give close to 100k for an object, you don't expect top quality? The more I give for something, the more quality I expect. That's why I keep a lawyer handy.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel chaser View Post
Dave, you forgot to mention the added aluminium straps to brace the fenders. I know there are pictures of this on here some where but don't remember where. It does make a world of difference. Jerry you are right we shouldn't have to do this but it's a case of they build these on an assembly line and cheap screws are quicker.
The very reason I keep a lawyer on stand by, to take care of these problems, and others. If I pay premium dollars for something, it better be premium quality.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
So, when you give close to 100k for an object, you don't expect top quality? The more I give for something, the more quality I expect. That's why I keep a lawyer handy.
I didn't pay close to 100K number 1, and number 2, you would be wrong to assume a Cadillac Escalade is higher quality than the government version Tahoe, just because you paid premium dollar for the Cadillac. Open the hood, still just a Chevy, just higher price gadgets and finish. (not picking on Chev guys, just an example).

There are top quality units out there, but expect to pay twice that to get much less. I carry a battery operated drill and a few nails, instead of a lawyer. I suspect I stress much less than you might. If you've already lawyered up, you might just put your money to backing out of your order and look for something else, or you will never get through the PDI.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post

I didn't pay close to 100K number 1, and number 2, you would be wrong to assume a Cadillac Escalade is higher quality than the government version Tahoe, just because you paid premium dollar for the Cadillac. Open the hood, still just a Chevy, just higher price gadgets and finish. (not picking on Chev guys, just an example).

There are top quality units out there, but expect to pay twice that to get much less. I carry a battery operated drill and a few nails, instead of a lawyer. I suspect I stress much less than you might. If you've already lawyered up, you might just put your money to backing out of your order and look for something else, or you will never get through the PDI.
I "lawyered up" on my junk 2014 Rushmore. That's why I'm giving them a chance on this 2015 Redwood. These RV companies, whether you like it or not, are bound to federal warranty laws. I don't dole out good money, and "work" on junk. If they expect luxury dollars, I expect luxury quality. FTR, I "lemon lawed" a junky Cadillac also. If these guys want to charge me more money, they better give me my money's worth, I'm not easy. It's an easy concept though, If I "give someone more money for better quality, I expect them to give me better quality". I have bought other Thor products, with minimal problems, with a lot less money. I am paying for at least the same amount of minimal problems, but with a more classy look. I pay for it, I expect it.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #9

Dave,thanks, it's the little fixes that everyone shares that keeps us going, and always a good thing for new folks. Jerry, you may be forever in lawyer mode my friend. I've owned them all, and very few things were ever perfect. I've seen 2 million dollar rigs with non working a/c, bad trim work, lousy Chinese tires. I really hope you are happy with your RW and have a great dealer. These are houses moving down the road, things will break and the roads will find the weakest link. My good friend is giving up on his RW after a year. Why? Because he isn't willing to fix the little things and believes that if he moves up to a Allegro Bus all his problems will disappear.
USN Retired

Old 06-30-2014, 12:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
I "lawyered up" on my junk 2014 Rushmore. That's why I'm giving them a chance on this 2015 Redwood. These RV companies, whether you like it or not, are bound to federal warranty laws. I don't dole out good money, and "work" on junk. If they expect luxury dollars, I expect luxury quality. FTR, I "lemon lawed" a junky Cadillac also. If these guys want to charge me more money, they better give me my money's worth, I'm not easy. It's an easy concept though, If I "give someone more money for better quality, I expect them to give me better quality". I have bought other Thor products, with minimal problems, with a lot less money. I am paying for at least the same amount of minimal problems, but with a more classy look. I pay for it, I expect it.
Good luck! I'll be camping while you're in court I'll let you use your money to change the industry, I'm too tired.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #11

Did you read the PM about all my problems on my CR? It's hard to camp with all that.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #12

Na - not really interested in taking this to a private level.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
Dave,thanks, it's the little fixes that everyone shares that keeps us going, and always a good thing for new folks. Jerry, you may be forever in lawyer mode my friend. I've owned them all, and very few things were ever perfect. I've seen 2 million dollar rigs with non working a/c, bad trim work, lousy Chinese tires. I really hope you are happy with your RW and have a great dealer. These are houses moving down the road, things will break and the roads will find the weakest link. My good friend is giving up on his RW after a year. Why? Because he isn't willing to fix the little things and believes that if he moves up to a Allegro Bus all his problems will disappear.
I don't expect perfect. I just expect slides that don't leak, TV's and AC's that work, dump valves that work, tanks that are not ruptured, and fresh water pumps that work. I bought my rig in June of 14, and took it to the dealer in November. It came back as bad at it was when it left. BTW, it was delivered to my site new, and had never been towed, until I took it back to the dealer for repair 6 months later. I don't mind fixing little things. I don't like having to take pictures of mold growing under beds, and cabinets in my slides, and reps that try to blow me off, and never return calls. I sincerly hope I am happy with my RW, because my CR was a nightmare. I fell in love with my CR when I walked in it, but that love died not long after I moved in. I am reading good things about RW, I hope my rig lives up to that. Hopefully with different QC's, it will.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:02 AM   #14

Jerry, RW is one of the best for standing by their products. Mine is no where near perfect, but for the main things RW has stepped up. I fix and upgrade things I like, enjoy doing it,and make it better than a production line can do. I can see where you are coming from, but give the RW a chance. We love ours and look forward to full timing in it or trading for a newer one when we retire.
USN Retired

Old 06-30-2014, 01:08 AM   #15

The point is, if Dave can figure out how to stop flapping side skirts, with a few bolts, and do away with the cheap screws, RW should learn to use bolts, instead of cheap screws. It's not like we are paying cheap prices for these rigs.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Jerry, RW is one of the best for standing by their products. Mine is no where near perfect, but for the main things RW has stepped up. I fix and upgrade things I like, enjoy doing it,and make it better than a production line can do. I can see where you are coming from, but give the RW a chance. We love ours and look forward to full timing in it or trading for a newer one when we retire.
Oh, I will give them a chance and I very much hope I love the RW. I am just naturally leery at this point. I fell in love with the CR, only to be disappointed. FTR, I really don't mind taking care of small issues myself, I just hate to be blowed off the way I was on major problems with the CR. If RW steps up to the plate, why didn't CR? They are the exact same company. I have owned several Thor 5th wheels, and never had a major issue, until this CR rig.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:21 AM   #17

I bought mine from CW. After fighting with them for 6 months about G rated tires, Trail-air hitch and second awning, I gave up. RW was contacted and paid for the second awning and installation, could no nothing for the other two items, because it was dealer optioned. They have sent me a new seal, they let me use a mobile rv repair guy for inspections and always call back. Good luck.
USN Retired

Old 06-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #18

Quote:
I bought mine from CW. After fighting with them for 6 months about G rated tires, Trail-air hitch and second awning, I gave up. RW was contacted and paid for the second awning and installation, could no nothing for the other two items, because it was dealer optioned. They have sent me a new seal, they let me use a mobile rv repair guy for inspections and always call back. Good luck.
I look forward to owning a RW, and hope they treat me as good as you. But, always remember, federal warranty laws, and consumer laws are there to protect us.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:27 AM   #19
Site Team

I've said it before and I'll say it again......if someone is expecting to buy something that doesn't consistently need looked after....stay away from boats, rv and airplanes.

What got this thread started was a simple fix to a day old problem of vibration and normal wear and tear. Redwood uses self tapping screws as does every other manufacture. These screws loosen going down the road due to vibration. I was talking to a guy in Memphis with one of the best bus conversions made (Liberty Coach) that he put well over 1.2 million dollars in and he said he was taking it back to the shop for some issues. His 40 thousand dollar entertainment system was on the blink (he is a lawyer).

My wife and I are considering buying a 40 ft house boat for those times we can't get away in the Redwood. I know it's just one more thing to consistently fix because it's mechanical but when it's working we can load all the grand kids up.......drift down the river burning fuel faster than I can pour it out of a bucket.....having fun.

I do agree that the RV companies need to be held in check but I don't believe problems cause by normal wear and tear as well as vibration is a major problem. Too many variables on roads and driving habits could affect these issues.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again......if someone is expecting to buy something that doesn't consistently need looked after....stay away from boats, rv and airplanes.

What got this thread started was a simple fix to a day old problem of vibration and normal wear and tear. Redwood uses self tapping screws as does every other manufacture. These screws loosen going down the road due to vibration. I was talking to a guy in Memphis with one of the best bus conversions made (Liberty Coach) that he put well over 1.2 million dollars in and he said he was taking it back to the shop for some issues. His 40 thousand dollar entertainment system was on the blink (he is a lawyer).

My wife and I are considering buying a 40 ft house boat for those times we can't get away in the Redwood. I know it's just one more thing to consistently fix because it's mechanical but when it's working we can load all the grand kids up.......drift down the river burning fuel faster than I can pour it out of a bucket.....having fun.

I do agree that the RV companies need to be held in check but I don't believe problems cause by normal wear and tear as well as vibration is a major problem. Too many variables on roads and driving habits could affect these issues.
I 100% agree, and in no way was I referring to simple fixes, on issues that relate to vibration problems going down the road. I own 2 Harley Davidsons, and understand this problem very well. I was referring to major problems with my CR that wasn't being fixed, and was being blown off about. My RV had never been towed, except for 20 miles from dealer to my site, and 20 miles back, to be fixed.
Closed Thread