Old 04-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #1

Shackles Flipped

Have noticed comments on suspension shackles being flipped when lifting the Redwood. Any photos on what a flipped shackle looks like? How are they unflipped or returned to their proper position?
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:44 PM   #2

It only happens if both tires on the same side are of the ground, at the same time. However it doesn't always happen. The equalizer swings forward or backwards ,causing a shackle turn under the equalizer.

The fix is raising both wheels back up and using a pry bar to straighten the equalizer so both shackles are up. Then lower them back down.

If you switch to the SRE 4000 with the shorter shackles, it can't happen. I hope this is somewhat clearer than mud.

Mark
Old 04-18-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
It only happens if both tires on the same side are of the ground, at the same time. However it doesn't always happen. The equalizer swings forward or backwards ,causing a shackle turn under the equalizer.

The fix is raising both wheels back up and using a pry bar to straighten the equalizer so both shackles are up. Then lower them back down.

If you switch to the SRE 4000 with the shorter shackles, it can't happen. I hope this is somewhat clearer than mud.

Mark

Mark.......you nailed it. I only had that happen once when I lifted the coach high enough with the hydraulic jack system to lift the wheels off the ground. It made a rather loud BANG and an even louder Bang when I put the trailer back down and the shackles flipped back the right way. Believe me, it will get your attention. It sounds about like you broke an axle.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:09 AM   #4

1217141417.jpgHere's what look like almost completely flipped.
The ends attached to the spring eyes should be above the ones on the equalizer.
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:35 AM   #5

Another advantage of IS, no more shackles to worry about!
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:01 AM   #6

I agree, the problem is we're $2999 short of being able to afford it.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Attachment 2072Here's what look like almost completely flipped.
The ends attached to the spring eyes should be above the ones on the equalizer.
Thank you for the very helpful photo. As both spring eyelets appear to be lower than the other end are both "flipped" in your photo? I ask as mine have been positioned as yours since day one. After last year's install of the Titan brakes the install team had a tussle getting the shackles unflipped. I drove a few miles back to Shipshewana and found the shackles flipped again. When the new 17-inch load range G tires (with a 5,000 pound per tire rating) and new rims are installed this week in Bremen, IN I will have the shop unflip the shackles then I will check them after returning home (assuming I don't experience another damaging blowout).
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
Old 04-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #8

The only way I could see them flipping is if when you level up it raises both wheels off the ground. Mine unflipped themselves once I put weight back on them, with a VERY bang I might add.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
The only way I could see them flipping is if when you level up it raises both wheels off the ground. Mine unflipped themselves once I put weight back on them, with a VERY bang I might add.
The level up system does not seem to lift the unit very far up. Never seen the wheels out of contact with the ground during leveling. One of the repairs this week in Bremen is with the Lippert Level Up by the Lippert factory technician. The new redesigned hydraulic pump/valve block, installed three weeks ago does not work. It was hand built at Lippert's IN plant however it appears the new assembly is not compatible with the Level Up controller. Lippert is over at the Bremen plant today trying to debug the system while the shop repairs the tire blowout damage.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #10

Had this happen to me today after auto level. The auto level did lift the back tire off the ground, but I think the front stayed on the ground. The shackle on the front axle on both sides of the RW flipped. Tried jacking the axle up and flipping it back in the spring up position to no avail. Ended up hooking the RW back up to the truck and went in reverse slowly while holding the brake control. This turned the shackles back in the right place.
GWHoll is offline   Reply With Quote