Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 12:22 AM   #1

Angry Satellite connection - please help!

I have been working on this for 2 days now. I read all the posts on this subject and have tried every configuration to get my Winegard/dishnetwork satellite working. I have the three orange cables labelled with no tape, one tape, and 2 tapes. My convenience center has the 2 jacks labelled "satellite". The cables behind these are gray, not orange. I have tried every combination between using each of the convenience center jacks and the 3 Orange cables in the cabinet under the living room tv. CANNOT ACQUIRE SIGNAL. However if I connect the cable from my Winegard directly into the back of my receiver (bypassing all the RW wiring and jacks) I get immediate signal and beautiful TV. Please help. I can't leave the door open with a cord running through it to have TV.
Great Vacations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:47 AM   #2

Perhaps your rig has a wiring problem. Here is the best way to tell. Get yourself a coax tester such as this one from Home Depot:
Klein Tools VDV Coaxial Explorer Plus Tester-VDV512-058 - The Home Depot

Satellite runs require direct feeds with no splitters. (The coax tester doesn't work through splitters either). In my rig, the three orange cables are as follows:
One from the convenience center
One from the roof
One to the outside TV

The 2nd satellite connector in the convenience center goes to the bedroom
There should be a 3rd coax connector in the convenience center that sends cable tv to all of the TV's in the rig.

If you use the coax tester you should be able to determine which orange is which and/or if you have a wiring problem.

Also, check the connectors. I have seen them where the silver insulation is twisted around the center copper wire causing a short. Your coax tester will also identify a short.

Hope that helps.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:27 AM   #3

Agree with Ken, get a tester. They aren't foolproof, but may clear something up.

I know Kens was wired different than mine. Mine was exactly like this drawing, including the tape designations. What was weird is I didn't have an orange cable coming out through the roof, but it sure worked on the TV so it must have a barrel connector somewhere up there.

Good luck! I had mine in less than a quart of JD and two six packs and minimal yelling.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite.pdf (10.5 KB, 20 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 AM   #4

We installed the Travl'r on the roof and used our hopper and joey with Dish from the house. Our dealer installed and placed the hopper in the bedroom, and joeys in the living room and basement. I couldn't be happier with HD DVR capabilities at all 3 TV's. One thing that our dealer found was a few sloppily crimped coax connectors. We're very happy with our installation. Only been in one park that our satellite signal was blocked by trees but it was only for one night.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
We installed the Travl'r on the roof and used our hopper and joey with Dish from the house. Our dealer installed and placed the hopper in the bedroom, and joeys in the living room and basement. I couldn't be happier with HD DVR capabilities at all 3 TV's. One thing that our dealer found was a few sloppily crimped coax connectors. We're very happy with our installation. Only been in one park that our satellite signal was blocked by trees but it was only for one night.
X2 love our hopper, joey system!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:51 AM   #6

What model and year is your coach?
slideone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Vacations View Post
I have been working on this for 2 days now. I read all the posts on this subject and have tried every configuration to get my Winegard/dishnetwork satellite working. I have the three orange cables labelled with no tape, one tape, and 2 tapes. My convenience center has the 2 jacks labelled "satellite". The cables behind these are gray, not orange. I have tried every combination between using each of the convenience center jacks and the 3 Orange cables in the cabinet under the living room tv. CANNOT ACQUIRE SIGNAL. However if I connect the cable from my Winegard directly into the back of my receiver (bypassing all the RW wiring and jacks) I get immediate signal and beautiful TV. Please help. I can't leave the door open with a cord running through it to have TV.
We had the same problem with our television. After many attempts over a 2 year period and finally a $1700 bill (that did get some issues resolved) my hubby checked behind the receptacle where the satellite antenna connects to the camper. In the back of the receptacle both cables were not crimped to the connectors. Once he crimped them the television works fine! Good Luck!!