Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #21

Well I think if Redwood has a rally this year I bet I know what one of the most talked about topic is going to be. I think it's a little disappointing to here what their doing. Just my 2 cents.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
Site Team

I've always gone back to the factory for service because the factory was as close if not closer than my dealer. I've always been happy with the service the factory offered and I'm disappointed to hear of a change. However it would be better for everybody involved to have more service centers so the folks that aren't fortunate enough to be near the factory can still get reputable service.

I can only hope that Redwood works with the different Crossroads dealers so this service is available. Only time will tell but I find it hard to believe that Redwood would shoot themselves in the foot while their product reputation has grown. This wasn't my first RV and it won't be my last.....a few weeks ago I got to walk through a Prevost Liberty.....Ginny had a smile on her face I'll probably need an even bigger tool box
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #23

Careful Dave... those Prevost coaches are made up here in Canada.... factory tour will require a trip for you and the bride to the Great White....

Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #24

I understand the need for "factory" service centers. They exist not only for the manufacturer to advertise, but also to help those customers that live in the area or are willing to travel to get repairs and maintenance done. If you are selling an international product as Redwood does, they need to develop a great dealer network that has the talent to do what the company service centers do. The dealer also needs to treat the customer just like the factory would treat them. This is not necessarily the case with all dealers. It is up to us as customers to inform the factory of dealers that do not work with their customers and insist on "factory" service no matter where we find ourselves.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #25

Sounds to me that the honeymoon is over. Thor is consolidating to reduce expenses as any manufacturer would. I hope Redwood/Thor continues to exceed customer's expectations when it comes to warranty repairs performed at their dealers.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #26

Jack, I think you're right. To me, it seems to have startedgoing this way right afterthe rally in August - where Tom Montegueand other staff spoke confidentally about Redwood, its productsand its standing at Thor...

Now Thor seems to be merging their "high-end" manufacturerwitha clearly low to mid-range brand identity.That's a head scratcher... Wonder what happened??

Lastly, you can't help but speculate that owners with an open invitation for factory service (thus, bypassing the dealers warranty revenues) would cause a lot of complaining from the dealer base. Afterall, what dealer would wouldn't want to charge Redwood to resolve a list as long as Lillyputz presented? <grins>Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #27

Redwood will not make it without an enthusiastic and supportive dealer base. We are lucky here in Tucson we have Lazy Days. The have a customer centric business attitude. I know they have gone overboard for me with my warranty issues including comping a nights stay in their RV park.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
Site Team

I think everybody needs to sit down, take a deep breath and have a stiff drink. When those folks started Redwood they did it with business knowledge of the RV world. Many of us decided to buy Redwood because of their innovative ideas of their knowledge of the RV industry.

Discounting the 1/2 truths I read on this forum, they still are charging ahead with innovating ideas. They made substantial investments to bring us new and different RV's that are changing the way that other RV companies have to compete. These knowledgeable folks now after 3 years of production aren't going to just throw their cares to the wind and restart another brand. That would simply be bad business. And these guys wouldn't have every gotten where they are without good business since.

As in any business, there can't be improvements without change. Seeing how they broke several molds when they created Redwood, I for one believe they these changes will turn out to be positive for all of the Redwood owners.

There will still be some bitching from some of the owners but I hope you consider the sources. The 2 main people on this sit that does all the bitching......I haven't read a single positive thing from them yet. That means, that no matter what RV they had they'd bitch about it, because that's simply what they do in life. In our society it's easier to get attention by complaining instead of problem solving and social media ( the internet) has now made that easier. Now these folks can bash, bitch and complain without having to prove their merit.

Happy Trails

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #29

Dave - well said. History proves that companies that remain stagnant will end up in a tail spin. To survive in the market today you must be innovative and embrace change. What worked for a fledgling company 3 years ago will not provide the customer service for over 1000 customer and a customer base that is growing daily.

I sent an enquiry to the website last night and had an email response from the General Manager within an hour. That is customer service and is indicative of a management team that values their customers.

Time for that stiff drink you mentioned.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #30
Site Team

Dave, thanks for your accurate and thoughtful post. The management at Redwood have started, from scratch, a very good product (One that is not without flaws-but a good one) that has been a resounding success. They are proud of Redwood and are committed to improving that product and the service department. Most of us are reluctant to endorse change but it can be for the better.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #31

Dave,

Well said. I believe in the Redwood product and have had nothing but good experiences with warranty issues. The recent changes for factory service should have no effect on customers if they have a great dealer.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #32

I agree with Dave, and thanks to you for saying it. Bottom line: IF IT IS MADE BY MAN - IT WILL BREAK. Besides, without these issues here on Earth how could we appreciate the perfect RV at the perfect campsite in Heaven.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #33
Site Team

As Dave and Jack said, I have to agree. As some of you know, this is my first foray into the world of RVing. It has been a dream for the last 15 years, a lot of planning, a lot of researching. We decided on the Redwood based on the quality of the construction (bunch of stuff that I wanted was included) and the beauty and practicality of the layout and decor (got Tracy's vote, and mine).

We have only used it a couple of times for a few nights as we purchased it in mid November and here in the Baltimore area, soon after that it got really cold. Our first longer trip will be in a few weeks when we go to the Outer Banks with a couple of friends.

I need to make a couple of points ~ I'm not totally new to the systems on the Redwood. I have more than 45 years of experience with boats and Yachts both as an owner and as a Captain. No matter the manufacturer, the first season or two is a "teething" one. I've run boats from Bayliners (entry level, decent quality but not spectacular) to larger Hatteras Yachts in the 70' plus range and costing millions of $$$. It didn't matter, first season included a bunch of items on the "punch list" and most times there was something that needed my attention. What mattered was the manufacturers response to issues and the customer service that followed. So far, what I see in Redwood is "Hatteras Style" service.

My coach is currently at the dealer I bought it from for a short list of stuff to be adjusted, etc. One of the things we mentioned when we bought it was the fact that with a King Bed (36RL, single slide), you lose the nightstands. I asked our salesman, who was great to deal with, if he could ask RW about the possibility of some kind of small shelf that would be out of the way to hold glasses, a water bottle, etc. When I dropped the coach off yesterday and the Service person went over everything with me, she said "oh, by the way, there's a box here from Redwood for you." There are two small shelves made in Cherry to match the woodwork. No charge from Redwood and she said they would be installing at no charge also. THAT is customer service. And that is how you keep customers.

You also keep customers by having, nurturing, and keeping qualified dedicatedpeople. I won't go into specifics, but for Redwood to lose some very, very good personnel over small issues is to me, a travesty.

Sorry for the long post, had to put in my $.02

Old 02-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #34

Vaughan,

Very well said. Your experience with Redwood has been as positive as mine. Good luck with your trip to the Outer Banks!!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper
I agree with Dave, and thanks to you for saying it. Bottom line: IF IT IS MADE BY MAN - IT WILL BREAK. Besides, without these issues here on Earth how could we appreciate the perfect RV at the perfect campsite in Heaven.

amen
Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #36

Vaughn, I could not agree more. I used to be the General Manager for an outfit called Cruisers Yachts and then ran a North Carolina operation for Rampage Sport Fishing Yachts. Lots of the same issues. It came down to how you handled them. Our (my) motto was "exceed expectations". I certainly hope Redwood continues to set the bar high on customer satisfaction. As owners, we are after all, the best ambassadors the company can hope for.

Happy Camping!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #37

Dave
You said it all. Thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #38

Just tried to reach Brian and was told that he's "no longer with us". Now when you call, you're just transferred to a tech. On the plus side, the one I spoke with, Don, was very helpful
Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #39

What is going on with the service techs?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #40

So, does anyone know what happened with Brian?