Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken&Cyndie View Post
Got up on my roof yesterday and found bubbles all over from front to back - there may be a hundred or more. If you step on them, they move which leads me to believe there is a problem with the adhesive. Our rig is just nine months old however I did not notice the bubbles in the spring when I was last up there. It also looks like the only fix might be replacing the roof and I too would only trust this to the service center. I just got back from Elkhart last week after upgrading the suspension to IS after having a failure of a shackle bolt, bent hanger etc. so I am not real anxious to turn around and go back right away. We are based in Pittsburgh about 350 miles from Topeka and no dealer within 250 miles. I will be in touch with RW this week and see how this problem is handled.
Ken,

You have found the same exact thing I found. Only I found it before I left the lot. I was assured this was normal. However after yet a third inspection by the dealer they acknowledged that the problem was growing worse. So after some back and fourth by the dealer and RW. RW has agreed to replace it completely. I am in the same place as you. Do I trust the dealer? Or do I tow my rig all the way to Indiana. 1200-+ miles from home or trust the dealer who is 75 miles away. The thing is. It is the manufacture who put this faulty thing on to begin with. So am I really improving my situation by trusting them??? I don't know. I know that I have now owned my RW for 16 weeks. It has sat at the dealership repair lot for 11 of those weeks. I am very disappointed. ChristianM will be able to connect to the right people at RW to set up an appointment if you choose to haul back to the Service center. If I were as close as you are I would most likely do it.

Mark
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #22

I have experienced an occasional roof bubble on previous rigs we have owned but they were nothing like this. If a dealer regards the blisters we are seeing as normal, I would love to hear from other owners that may or may not have this situation. I don't think the roof is going to blow off or leak in its current state however as the situation worsens there will be less and less material glued in place and then..........? Other opinions are welcome. Thanks, Ken
Ken&Cyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #23

I had bubbles on the seams of my Montana that proved to be fine over time, but that was a different roof. My roof now has surprisingly no bubbles (although I did have 2 screw tips poking through).

When I put my satellite antenna on, the area around it bubbled terrible as if there was a reaction between my sealant and theirs, but it went away and hasn't come back.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
Ken,

You have found the same exact thing I found. Only I found it before I left the lot. I was assured this was normal. However after yet a third inspection by the dealer they acknowledged that the problem was growing worse. So after some back and fourth by the dealer and RW. RW has agreed to replace it completely. I am in the same place as you. Do I trust the dealer? Or do I tow my rig all the way to Indiana. 1200-+ miles from home or trust the dealer who is 75 miles away. The thing is. It is the manufacture who put this faulty thing on to begin with. So am I really improving my situation by trusting them??? I don't know. I know that I have now owned my RW for 16 weeks. It has sat at the dealership repair lot for 11 of those weeks. I am very disappointed. ChristianM will be able to connect to the right people at RW to set up an appointment if you choose to haul back to the Service center. If I were as close as you are I would most likely do it.

Mark
Here's the deal. Been there done that. I took mine to a dealer to repair some defects on two of my slide roofs. It should've been a fairly simple fix but the dealer tech messed it up so bad that the entire slide roofs needed to be replaced. Redwood at first wanted me to take it back to the dealer that botched it since they were paid under warranty to fix it. I refused to take it back and lucky for me, the dealer refused to take it back so it ended up at the Crossroads Service Center in Indiana and they replaced the roofs back to new condition. Very pleased and I am approximately 1,000 miles from the Service Center. Learned my lesson. Anything major that I can't fix will likely be fixed by the Service Center.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #25

Actually the folks at the Service Center are not the ones that originally put the roof on, as that was done at the assembly plant by their Highly Trained Techs----NOT.
So I wouldn't have a problem with the Service Center replacing the roof. Would much rather have them than a Local Dealer or the Assembly Techs.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #26
Site Team

You shouldn't have any bubbles..... period!

When I ordered my Redwood I told the dealership that if my unit had any bubbles at all I would not accept it. I was there when the driver delivered my unit and it was bubble free.

While shopping for trailers in the past I've had several dealers tell me that bubbles are normal and that it's not a sign of weakness but I don't believe them. I still believe that the roofs on RVs are in need of improvement and I'm looking forward to a better system being standard. Our new unit had fiberglass and I hope it's better.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #27

Sometimes your just happy there aren't any dead birds or boots under the roof Doesn't look like a fun job day after day.

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken&Cyndie View Post
Got up on my roof yesterday and found bubbles all over from front to back - there may be a hundred or more. If you step on them, they move which leads me to believe there is a problem with the adhesive. Our rig is just nine months old however I did not notice the bubbles in the spring when I was last up there. It also looks like the only fix might be replacing the roof and I too would only trust this to the service center. I just got back from Elkhart last week after upgrading the suspension to IS after having a failure of a shackle bolt, bent hanger etc. so I am not real anxious to turn around and go back right away. We are based in Pittsburgh about 350 miles from Topeka and no dealer within 250 miles. I will be in touch with RW this week and see how this problem is handled.
So sorry to hear about the roof! Especially after you just brought it up here for a different issue. Goodness!

Definitely go through the normal channels and see what Redwood says- but if you need any assistance or don't hear back from someone in a reasonable time, just shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help! Like mstan said, I'd be happy to put you in touch with the service center.
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 PM   #29

Christian: Thanks so much for your concern and follow up. It is great to know you are watching. I have been in touch with Bettina in customer service who couldn't be more helpful. I have forwarded photos to her which she has already passed along to your tech folks. She has also directed me to a Crossroads dealer about 75 miles away who will be inspecting the roof when we return in a couple of weeks. They are willing to inspect it but are not equipped to do the replacement which is OK. If replacement is necessary, I would prefer to have it done at your service center anyway. Another note that others might find helpful - I did talk to a rep from Alpha Systems who manufactures the roof membrane. I was told that they have been using the same adhesive for years and did not feel that that was the problem however from what I described it was more than likely an installation problem. They also said that sometimes there might be a wrinkle or two which may not be an issue but that is not what I am experiencing. At this point this appears to be another major failure with our rig in our first nine months of ownership which is very disappointing however it is very comforting to know that you and others are trying to do the right thing. Thanks again, Ken
Ken&Cyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #30

I have a 2013 RW. Had it in to the local Camper's World shop here in Lubbock, TX in June for my previously posted here issues with tires blowing. They did a routine inspection and the front of the roof was bubbling bad. They did a repair for $600+ dollars. In August I noticed something strange on the roof and climbed the back ladder to take a look. The roof was peeling back from the area of the repair. Took it back to Camper World in Lubbock and at the moment they are installing a new roof after I filed a claim with my insurance carrier (around $6,000). My $1000 deductible will be offset by Camper World for a equal credit of what I paid for their repair.

Back to the tire issue. After last blowout I installed Tire Minder system and it paid off the very first time I used the RV when PSI on a tire dropped from 110 to 40 in a matter of minutes. Got the tire changed before it blew. I have now installed metal valve stems on my G-rated tires, and with the Tire Minder drive with peace of mind (although always monitoring the Tire Minder display). I am convinced the steel rims heat up and the rubber valves get weakened and the high pressure leaks out and out and out and then BOOM! The first time I made a trip with the tire minder I broke it's antenna. Sent it to them and they sent a new unit for FREE! Great outfit. Free batteries as long as you own it.
ltcmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcmiller View Post
I have a 2013 RW. Had it in to the local Camper's World shop here in Lubbock, TX in June for my previously posted here issues with tires blowing. They did a routine inspection and the front of the roof was bubbling bad. They did a repair for $600+ dollars. In August I noticed something strange on the roof and climbed the back ladder to take a look. The roof was peeling back from the area of the repair. Took it back to Camper World in Lubbock and at the moment they are installing a new roof after I filed a claim with my insurance carrier (around $6,000). My $1000 deductible will be offset by Camper World for a equal credit of what I paid for their repair.

Back to the tire issue. After last blowout I installed Tire Minder system and it paid off the very first time I used the RV when PSI on a tire dropped from 110 to 40 in a matter of minutes. Got the tire changed before it blew. I have now installed metal valve stems on my G-rated tires, and with the Tire Minder drive with peace of mind (although always monitoring the Tire Minder display). I am convinced the steel rims heat up and the rubber valves get weakened and the high pressure leaks out and out and out and then BOOM! The first time I made a trip with the tire minder I broke it's antenna. Sent it to them and they sent a new unit for FREE! Great outfit. Free batteries as long as you own it.
Does your insurance really pay out on the new roof? Just curious as it seems like Camping World actually caused it to fail.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1817 View Post
Does your insurance really pay out on the new roof? Just curious as it seems like Camping World actually caused it to fail.
So far I believe so, agree it was Camper World's poor work and that is yet to be discussed by USAA carrier and me with them. I mentioned to Camper World that it was still under manufacturer warranty.
ltcmiller is offline   Reply With Quote