Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 04:53 AM   #1

Residential refrigerator door fix.

Hello all,
Picked up my 38RL today. B.Young RV did a fantastic job fixing the residential refrigerator tipping and door issues.

The freezer door they just put on the half of the strap that Redwood is leaving off. They did find a gray one instead of using the white. For the tipping problem they put a padded brace across the top in the compartment so it can no longer tip. Can't get a picture because it's behind the trim but it is very stable. Then on the refrigerator doors they put a clip at the bottom of each door. Attaching a picture of these. Works slick. If Redwood would incorporate this into production one problem is solved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.9 KB, 33 views)
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:53 AM   #2

Pic of bottom of the door
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #3

That would be wife - approved - much prettier than the velcro or plywood

keeping it from opening while underway will lessen the chance to tip too !

but still not sure what you mean about the freezer strap ? we don't have anything on the freezer at all
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
That would be wife - approved - much prettier than the velcro or plywood

keeping it from opening while underway will lessen the chance to tip too !

but still not sure what you mean about the freezer strap ? we don't have anything on the freezer at all
Sorry I thought most people had the mysterious clip on the front of the freezer door without anything to clip in.
Here is the strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (252.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #5

Here is a wider angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (251.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Traveling

Yale, I am wondering about the refrigerator latches. Do the doors still close on their own, or do you have to "push" them closed. Normally on the refrigerator like this one, the doors (during normal use) sort of close on their own when you shut them (as if they were magnetic). I worry that those clips will make them have to be "pushed" close, or they will be slightly open because of the resistance from the clip.

I am pretty excited about the padded brace at the top, but not too sure I want the clips.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Yale, I am wondering about the refrigerator latches. Do the doors still close on their own, or do you have to "push" them closed. Normally on the refrigerator like this one, the doors (during normal use) sort of close on their own when you shut them (as if they were magnetic). I worry that those clips will make them have to be "pushed" close, or they will be slightly open because of the resistance from the clip.

I am pretty excited about the padded brace at the top, but not too sure I want the clips.
Trust me, you want the clips. You can't even tell they are on there. It might take a little more effort to close but not much if any at all. This fridge has a seal that goes between the two doors so it takes a little effort to close anyway. You won't even notice the clips. If anything it takes more effort to open, but again not much. My wife loves them so far.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #8

My concern is that those are the type of clips they put on my 38gk's pantry that opened and it STILL opens....

If I were you, I would still put velcro across the two fridge doors as the shifting may still push it open - but you'll find out whether or not it's needed
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dogs View Post
Hello all,
Picked up my 38RL today. B.Young RV did a fantastic job fixing the residential refrigerator tipping and door issues.

The freezer door they just put on the half of the strap that Redwood is leaving off. They did find a gray one instead of using the white. For the tipping problem they put a padded brace across the top in the compartment so it can no longer tip. Can't get a picture because it's behind the trim but it is very stable. Then on the refrigerator doors they put a clip at the bottom of each door. Attaching a picture of these. Works slick. If Redwood would incorporate this into production one problem is solved.
Oh no! The dreaded plastic clips that continuously break on my closet door, dish drawer, pantry, and trash can drawer

Maybe they will work better on the fridge given it pretty much closes in a consistent approach, unlike the closet door, but carry some spares!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:10 AM   #10

I'll keep an eye on it. I had these clips in my motorhome and not one time did I ever have an issue. I sure like these better than a Velcro strap and a fridge that rocks back and forth 6-8". I'll report back on the success or failure of this mod.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #11
csb

Talked to B Young today and since the fix is not approved by Redwood it is not covered under warranty. And since they drill into the refrigerator casing it voids the refrigerator warranty. So not sure I want to do this as it is only 60 days.
csb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
Traveling

I chose not to have my refrigerator casing drilled. I didn't want the clips. I just use the velcro strap provided on the doors and the clip on the door (which I will eventually replace with something better-it's UGLY) The tipping bar must have been installed at the factory, I don't think B. Young did it. It's very substantial, located at the rear top of the fridge, extending about a foot toward the center. Seems to be very strong.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
csb

I agree. Don't want to have them drill into the frig. Especially if it negates the warranty. It is a shame Redwoods only answer to this is the velcro strap.
We paid a lot of money for these 5th wheels seems like there should be a better fix.
Our freezer did not come with the clip thing
Old 06-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
Traveling

they sell those clips at Walmart in the baby section they are a child door locks.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
Talked to B Young today and since the fix is not approved by Redwood it is not covered under warranty. And since they drill into the refrigerator casing it voids the refrigerator warranty. So not sure I want to do this as it is only 60 days.
We'll isn't that interesting? They waited to fix mine on approval from Redwood & Samsung and said the only thing that would be voided was if the metal the clips are attached to got broken. (Doubt metal will break befor a plastic clip) they said they were accepting responsibility for the metal. So we are not getting the same story from B. Young. Whom did you talk with May I ask? They assured me No warranty was void other than what I posted above and they were accepting that. Guess I might want to get that in writing on my next visit.
Anyway we still love the clips, they work awesome and they are the exact system Tiffin Motorhomes uses on their refers.

I was told The freezer clips came from the factory on all the freezers by Redwood themselves. I sent a pic showing the only part attached was the receiver part on the freezer drawer and nothing attached to keep the door shut, Redwood then sent authorization to B. Y. To buy and install a complete clip. Now you have none? I assure you you had better get something or your freezer drawer will be on the floor after a trip.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #16
csb

WOW the plot thickens!!!
Our service writer is Steven Digby. He told me that Redwood would not honor the fix and it would void the warranty. and it would cost us $100.00 to do.
Seems I had better talk to Ryan Mansfield directly, he is still there.
Thank you so much for the info
May I ask when did you have yours done?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
WOW the plot thickens!!!
Our service writer is Steven Digby. He told me that Redwood would not honor the fix and it would void the warranty. and it would cost us $100.00 to do.
Seems I had better talk to Ryan Mansfield directly, he is still there.
Thank you so much for the info
May I ask when did you have yours done?
About 1 month ago. Steven is now my service writer who replaced Darin who took care or the fridge fix. Ryan was involved in my fix and is fully aware of it. This is very interesting for sure.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:10 AM   #18
csb

OMG!!!! this is crazy. He acted like he had never heard of the fix before!!!!
Now I am hoppin' mad. LOL
I will get in touch with Steven and Ryan first thing Monday morning. Then I will call Redwood myself and find out whats up.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #19
csb

OK FINALLY progress. LOL Called Redwood and they did some checking, called me back and said to have B. Young RV put in a pre-authorization request and Redwood would honor the fix and the warranty. WHEW!!!!!
Thank goodness for this owners forum, or I never would have known about this fix. Thank you for posting it in the first place. Maybe we will meet someday in our travels.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #20

Great news!!!