Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #41

There is at least the length of the overhang, as shown in the picture, plus the width of the pull out drawer next to the sink, so I would estimate 16"?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #42

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #43

Good luck on whoever is getting a residential refrige, as I have stated before, I had one in my Open Range for 2 1/2 years and it was great when parked, but the inverter would keep it running. Had a bigger inverter installed and same thing. When I traded it in I swore I would not have another. Plus while picking up my Redwood at Lazydays, a guy next to me was picking up a new Trilogy with a residential refrige and guess what? It would not work either.

So good luck.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #44
Site Team

X2
Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #45

It can be done, BUT it takes the proper design, big enough inverter/inverters, and Large battery bank to make it all work. We looked at a Prevost at the Jan Tampa show, it had like three 3600 Watt inverters and a bank of I think eight 12 Volt 8D batteries (that's 150 Lbs per battery). Plus the interconnecting cables were in the 0000 guage size to handle all the current. Now it also had a 1.9 Mil price tag.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #46
par

I heard from my salesman today confirming of this fridge affects the FL or not and here is answer:
"The only cabinet lost is the drawer beneath the refer. On an RL, RE, or anything with an island, the island gets smaller."
That's great news for us, perhaps not if you are considering a unit with an island though.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:33 AM   #47

I realize this is an old thread, but wanted to say that we purchased the residential package and are pleased with the cooling.
We have the 36RL and have made 3 runs of about 5 hours each. The fridge runs fine and keeps everything cool if you can keep the doors shut.
We had two trips with absolutely perfect performance. The last trip (in South Carolina) had some rough roads and the fridge door opened and slammed into the island counter so hard it dented the door.
I don't think the unit would run for more than a couple hours on the battery alone, but ran fine while being supported by the truck to keep the battery charged. As soon as we reach our destination, we connect to shore power so the inverter can be shut down.
A word to the wise would be that if you stop for a long period, step into the unit and turn off the inverter to keep the battery from becoming depleted. The fridge will keep the contents cold for quite a while unless you open the doors. Fire it back up when you start running again.

With all that said, has anyone figured out how to keep the doors in place (closed)? We are at this stop for the next 10 days and need to figure out how to keep the doors shut on the fridge.

Thanks everyone.
Safe travels
George and Kay
Gegallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:26 AM   #48

Good to hear on your fridge!

Redwood has a fix for the doors - have you asked to Dealer to retrofit the parts, or ask Redwood to send them to you? They may not be more than straps, but you can see them on the website (attached pic).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redwood14_5_38RL_SSRefer.jpg (386.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #49

Thanks for the reply!

Looks like a velcro strap should do the trick. For some reason, I thought it should be more complicated than that.

I think what we like best about the fridge is we don't need to unload it for travel.

Hopefully, the sales reps are not selling this as a way for people to boondock with a refer. Not gonna happen!

We try to keep our travel to 5 hours or less per day, so the fridge is a great addition.

Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:15 AM   #50

Marilyn saw a post on another forum. The problem we had was the freezer door opened too. A simple trip to the local lumber yard. The park we were staying in had a full blown wood shop so cutting the $4.00 piece of ply was no problem. I covered the refer side with duct tape until we get home and have it covered.

Not pretty, but we just travelled about 3 hours for the second time and the refer and freezer stayed closed.

BTW, we travelled with the refer off in 80*, everything was still cold including my cocktail ice!

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (97.7 KB, 9 views)
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #51

I actually like that idea, but haven't done it yet..
bought a two inch wide strip of industrial velcro to help the smaller strip!)

oh, on a 6 hour run last week ours got to 50 degrees in the fridge
(SOMEONE forgot to turn the inverter on ---- ME ! )

so all perishables were tossed.... but once the inverter was on - worked fine even when stopping for an hour for dinner...

we drink lots of water, so put LOTS of bottled water in there to act as a cooler, set it to coldest temp and worked less...

oh, and our door dent came from an especially rough road and the fridge not being anchored properly such that it tilted and hit the island --- hate to think if it hadn't hit the island !!!!
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:51 PM   #52

My biggest complaint with the residential fridge is that they shrank the island thus eliminating the far left (looking from the stove to the sink) set of drawers including the plate drawer AND the small drawer under the fridge where we keep out vacuum hose and wand, etc.

When at the Tampa show Hilton Riggins said they were looking at a different refrigerator which would allow them to go back to the original island configuration. Wonder if they will???
Old 03-08-2014, 02:35 AM   #53

We just ordered the 38RL WITH residential reft. so that means no drawer for plates?

Saw the plate drawer on a youtube video from DeJongs BV Milwaukee, Oregon but maybe that was the 2013 not sure.

Can hardly wait to get our new home! Looking so much forward to take delivery and start our life as full time RV:ers.
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:03 AM   #54

Congratulations, enjoy the coach when it arrives.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #55

Congratulations! The refrig for the plate drawer is probably a good trade. Does the pull out spice rack go away too or is it still there?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:39 AM   #56

the spice rack is still in our 38gk with Res pkg...
Old 03-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #57

We are finding the fridge was a good swap for some of the lost storage in our 36RL. It would be nice to have both, but for ever gain there has to be a given.
We are ending up putting some of the "not so often used" kitchen goodies in the basement. Not too inconvenient since we don't use those all the time.
This is our 3rd week as full timers and we are settling in quite nicely. We are very comfortable and learn something about the unit every day (a lot of that is due to what I read in this forum).
Between the velcro strap and the wooden insert, we're pretty confident the doors on the fridge will stay closed during travel now.

Safe Travels
George and Kay
Old 03-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #58

I am thinking of buying a butchers block or a small cart to place there instead.

What is the reason why they took it away? Is it for when the slide is in or just general space? Looks like the doors on the Samsung opens a bit more than the original fridge. Or is it the freezer drawer?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #59

IMHO - the middle of the Samsung 'bows' out and would be resting against the long island during travel...
As shown in the pic - it still can kiss the shorter island !

and you wouldn't have been able to open it without moving the slide...

(and did I state how I hate the single switch for both slides ?!? MANY times on my old 5ers I'd open just one side just enough to get by.... not now with the redwood though )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dent 02-08.jpg (43.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #60

I have always dreamt of a butchers block, finally a reason to buy one!

Thanks for your help!