Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #21

I do like the idea of the residential fridge...but they aren't made to go down the highway at the equivalent of a 7.0 earthquake!! We have a Norcold in the TT and it works just fine. So, for now, happy to styay with that. Next RV maybe (if there is one after the RW - I may get spoiled).

JJ
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #22

Having had one I could not agree more Kev .
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #23

Excuse me, JJ.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #24

We just ordered our 38GK and I thought I would give anyone else who might be thinking about the GK and the Residential Fridge an update.

David (our dealer) just called and explained how the fridge would work in the GK. I was concerned because the fridge sticks out a bit in the pics and on the GK we have a 2nd pantry there. The 2nd pantry is the reason we selected this model. I didn't think the fridge would be an option. It is and with that option the counter is shorter. You lose the plate drawer and the other 2 drawers that are there.

Since I am going from 3400 sq ft to 400 sq ft, so storage is the most important thing to me. Although I wanted the residential fridge, it was not worth losing that amount of storage. We had decided on the GK before the fridge option and I was happy so I will stick with what I originally thought I was getting.

I don't think it will effect the other models unless you have some type of wall or cabinet beside the fridge area.

Sharon

SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #25

i agree with dave saw the option at factory and i move around to much to justify it
Old 04-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #26

That is good information, Sharon. Thank you for sharing that!

TXRVProfessor&LadyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #27

If one is to move around a lot, I would hold off ona residential fridge until Redwood developes some kind of latch/locksystem for the Fridge doors.
Redwood does not build appliances, they build 5er rv's.
May.......be they can get into the appliance game as long as THOR approves of it.
Norcold, Dometic, Redwood appliances. Kinda has a ring to it.........don't it.
Just sayin'.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #28

A latch system is important. Our Tiffin Allegro Bus has the residential refrigerator and they added a supplemental latch on top of the two doors.. The lower freezer doesn't need one.
jpdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #29

I planned on using velcro around the handles to keep it shut, saw it used on DRV's and others. My dealer is trying to get me some pictures of units on the production line soI can see how the counter looks. He confirmed we would loose thesection of drawers beside the spice rack but would keep the spice rack. Said he thought we might gain some space on the stove side but was checking to see if that is so.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #30

We've had residential fridges on a number of boats in the 50FT range. When under way, the fridge was not powered unless you ran the gen set. The cool thing (pardon my pun) about residential fridges is that they will hold the temp for up to 24 hours versus about an hour for an RV fridge. So going down the road should not an issue if you don't open and close the doors a bunch. Most newer trucks with heavy duty alternators should also keep the batteries charged up even with the fridge running when traveling. For me I'd also make sure we have LED lights throughout the rig as the halogen bulbs eat power.

The best thing though for the residential fridge is getting rid of the fire dangers that gas absorption RV fridges pose. In December 2012 a Minneapolis law firm sued Norcold over the fire danger stating that more than 2,000 fires have caused $48M in property damage. Here's a link to the article.

http://rvdailyreport.com/News/ctl/Ar...igerators.aspx

Well done Redwood in bringing RV fridges into the 20th century!

PS: Another benefit for us is that we can now take our trailer on ferries in the Pacific Northwest without loosing our fridge food, as all propane tanks must be turned off during crossings.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill36re
We've had residential fridges on a number of boats in the 50FT range. When under way, the fridge was not powered unless you ran the gen set. The cool thing (pardon my pun) about residential fridges is that they will hold the temp for up to 24 hours versus about an hour for an RV fridge. So going down the road should not an issue if you don't open and close the doors a bunch. Most newer trucks with heavy duty alternators should also keep the batteries charged up even with the fridge running when traveling. For me I'd also make sure we have LED lights throughout the rig as the halogen bulbs eat power.

The best thing though for the residential fridge is getting rid of the fire dangers that gas absorption RV fridges pose. In December 2012 a Minneapolis law firm sued Norcold over the fire danger stating that more than 2,000 fires have caused $48M in property damage. Here's a link to the article.

http://rvdailyreport.com/News/ctl/Ar...igerators.aspx

Well done Redwood in bringing RV fridges into the 20th century!

PS: Another benefit for us is that we can now take our trailer on ferries in the Pacific Northwest without loosing our fridge food, as all propane tanks must be turned off during crossings.

Great Post!! I for one am willing to give it a try in a heartbeat!

Lady E Cooper
My RV Kitchen
Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

the fridge sounds lie it could be a great idea for full timers. i wonder about the wear and tear and refridgerant problems that might occur when traveling and when the unit is stored for months at a time when not in use...Wouldn't it be cool if it had dual electrical plugs so you cold keep it connected where you store it and not have to have your whole rig hooked up
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #33

The ridge was something that we really wanted. I am really worried about the RV ridge having enough room as we will be full time. And with that said, we are full time and I didn't want to lose the drawers. Out of the 2, I thought I could best do with a smaller fridge since we won't be feeding the world like we do now. All those Christmas & Thanksgiving dinners will be held and cooked elsewhere. If there had not been the modifications of the counter, I would have had something to share with you in a few months about the fridge.

SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #34
par

SW1117 - What model are you talking about? I ordered this fridge in and FL and I don't believe there will be any affects, but I have asked my dealer to confirm this.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #35
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by par
SW1117 - What model are you talking about? I ordered this fridge in and FL and I don't believe there will be any affects, but I have asked my dealer to confirm this.
Sorry SW1117 - I just read back in this post and noticed that you were talking about a GK.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingman

A new option I found when visiting a very knowledgable dealer is the residential refidgerator. It is stainless and the option package includes the fridge, 1000 watt inverter, 2 batteries and the microwave and stove are stainless too.
Alsosaw some more changes, keyless entry is now part of entry handle instead of on side of coach, and the MCD shades have went from a white blackout shade, black partial view to both are now black. Also liked the LED light on awning roller, but can't get that option if I order the Unaguard awning, trying to find out why.
Does anyone know the brand of this refrigerator and it's size?

Lady E Cooper
Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #37
par

This is a GUESS based on its description.
I believe it is a Samsung RF197AC. This is a counter depth fridge with 17.8 cu ft. In fact we checked it out at Future Shop this week and if I am correct we are pleased with this selection. As I have mentioned we have ordered this option and will eventually get its model number.Edited by: par
Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #38

Factory rep said it is a Samsung and is 19 cubic feet. On the GK model we will loose the 3 drawers in front of the fridge and the cabinet above. We will keep everything from the spice rack over toward sink. The space by the stove stays the same. Rep tried to get us pictures at factory this past week, but no models on line had this option. He is trying to get me some pics andI will post if he does.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #39

We got a glimps of the configuration. It does shorten the length of the island and you loose all forward of the spice rack or whatever you call that tall pull out that has narrow shelves next to the dishwasher. The plate drawer goes and the two drawers above and below.

Always a trade off.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
We got a glimps of the configuration. It does shorten the length of the island and you loose all forward of the spice rack or whatever you call that tall pull out that has narrow shelves next to the dishwasher. The plate drawer goes and the two drawers above and below.

Always a trade off.

Could you guess as to how much counter this left from the sink to end of counter where it has been shortened? Is it large enough to still be usable with sink covers off?