Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 03:27 AM   #1

Residential Package

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. First trip with our new RW and when we stopped after a 100 miles we found both refrigerator doors open and the freezer open with all the food dumped into the freezer.

I must be missing something, I find nothing furnished to keep these doors locked into place. Would RW really sell these units with no way to secure these doors?
slideone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:36 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideone View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. First trip with our new RW and when we stopped after a 100 miles we found both refrigerator doors open and the freezer open with all the food dumped into the freezer.

I must be missing something, I find nothing furnished to keep these doors locked into place. Would RW really sell these units with no way to secure these doors?
We have a 2015 and it came with the 3 door residential. There is a plastic catch for the freezer and a piece of velcro that wraps around the 2 upper door handles to hold them closed never had a problem with them opening
Old 04-19-2015, 03:53 AM   #3

I found a piece of plastic that looks to be a latch on left side, but nothing on the right side. I suppose that was left off at the factory.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:52 AM   #4

I think the new model come with latches. Our did not. My wife found a great solution on the Internet. I posted a photo on this thread: http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...avel-1876.html

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #5

Ours has a knob that screws in, we added a foam "washer" to protect the Finish. Works great. But stuff sure does move around, when you open the door after traveling, got to be ready for anything!
This napkin was what we did when we picked up the RV, we modified this with some dense blue foam trimmed tightly to the knob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1542.jpg (85.4 KB, 12 views)

GMC 3500HD DRW, Curt Q24 hitch, 1100 watts Solar,
Redwood 2015.5 38RE, 8K axels, disk breaks, 5.5K Onan, full body paint, residential fridge, slide in a slide. Dual heat pumps, dual awnings, dishwasher, linc Pad.
Victor&Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:29 AM   #6

You must have not read the part in the manual that says make easy left turn and hard right turns to always close it ?!? Kidding, of course...

Yes, happened to ours on the trip home from the dealer and every trip when we brought it back for it to be fixed
so much that it broke the freezer slides...ball bearings fell out of it !

The velcro around the doors stops them from opening, but with the freezer, we just put cardboard boxes between the freezer and the opposite slides well

Oh, and test your fridge to see if it is anchored in anyway = ours tilts and the only thing that held it up was when it hit the island and dented the fridge door !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #7

Here is our solution. We purchased this 'Child Safety Lock' from Home Depot but can probably find at other locations. Instead of trying to put the left side adhesive strip on the side of the frig - we used a tiny drill bit to make a hole in the fascia trim then added a screw w/ washer (along with using the adhesive backing) You can see how it was done. The right side is just the adhesive backing. This baby is not going anywhere. We do NOT feel that another strip is needed on the other side of the freezer door. This is working great.

Lady E Cooper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg refrigertor locks.jpg (85.9 KB, 20 views)
Lady DRV - 2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450 w/Executive Office Options
LadyEcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Victor&Yvonne;46776. But stuff sure does move around, when you open the door after traveling, got to be ready for anything!
.[/QUOTE]

Victor & Yvonne,

We have been using adjustable curtain rods (tension type that adjust by screwing in/out). Found them at Walmart, curtain rod section.

I use two on each shelf. Unless I'm sloppy organizing, everything stays in place. I will on occasion, leave small light weight items in front of the bars when they don't fit well behind them.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #9

Redwood has a fix.
http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...-fix-1765.html
It should be done under warranty.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:06 AM   #10

We have the residential refrig and it is always opening during travels. We lost the ball bearings in the freezer door which now doesn't let the ice maker work. Waiting on service repair now. So frustrating that the doors don't lock.
danmeeks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:25 AM   #11

I feel your pain, I spent 15 minutes on the phone with "customer service" a couple of days ago. I asked if he was familiar with the refrigerators being shipped with no way to secure the doors, his reply " I've never heard of that". I asked him if he ever read the forum, again "no". I suggested you might want to, it might be beneficial to your job. Long story short, he referred me back to the dealer to try and correct the issue he had never heard of. Customer Service, what a bunch of bull. I informed him I was at a Camping World dealer in Chattanooga last week (they are a RW dealer) the parts guy didn't even know they sold REDWOODS. So how can any dealer help you that is screwed up. Oh well thanks for letting me vent. I do really like our new RW, but it is not because of any help from "customer service" or the Chattanooga Camping World.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:50 AM   #12
Site Team

All of these look like add on lock systems. I have seen residential fridges in RVs that have locks that look like they were built just for RVs
Old 04-24-2015, 04:02 AM   #13

Mike Antal is the Retail Customer service Manager, I really feel he has a total disconnect with Retail customers and all of his people seem to have the attitude of its not our problem .... My thought is if Redwood is going to fix its customer care it needs to start with this position. The customer service agents only do what their boss tells them ... They need a new boss IMO.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #14

Dave, bottom line with me is very simple, if I spend $100k on a RV, I don't want some add on piece that looks like a add on, period.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #15

With no customer service, they just need a recording that says, "call your dealer". That's the bottom line.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #16

I'm a Yacht Captain and we make long ocean crossing. We stuff towels in the refrigerator to keep everything from sloshing back and forth while underway. Hope that helps.
1911roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideone View Post
I feel your pain, I spent 15 minutes on the phone with "customer service" a couple of days ago. I asked if he was familiar with the refrigerators being shipped with no way to secure the doors, his reply " I've never heard of that". I asked him if he ever read the forum, again "no". I suggested you might want to, it might be beneficial to your job. Long story short, he referred me back to the dealer to try and correct the issue he had never heard of. Customer Service, what a bunch of bull. I informed him I was at a Camping World dealer in Chattanooga last week (they are a RW dealer) the parts guy didn't even know they sold REDWOODS. So how can any dealer help you that is screwed up. Oh well thanks for letting me vent. I do really like our new RW, but it is not because of any help from "customer service" or the Chattanooga Camping World.
Hi there!

On behalf of Redwood, I'm sorry for what you've been experiencing. I have contacted you privately to try to see if there is any way we can help :-)

Thanks!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #18

I must defend the Redwood Customer Service - but only from my own experience. I have a lot to say about QC but actually only have good personal experience from them helping out.

Had some problems as most people have but all of them was solved fast and with no hassle. Some we did with the dealer but since we are fulltimers some had to be solved by Crossroads directly.

Hope I am not alone!
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #19

Possible solution

We have the Samsung res refer and the attached picture is how we resolved the door problem. We full time and move around a lot, so the frig needs to be secure. Keep in mind, I don't drive 80.
We tried plesiglas, regular plywood and finally used the european plywood. It's about 1/2 inch thick and has 9 layers of wood that are oriented for maximum strength.
The first two failed in less than a month. The last has held up for over six months and shows no sign of strain.
We used velcro tape (the fuzzy side) to put a little tension on the wood. This helps hold the doors shut and protects the finish on the frig.
Put one tape strip of velcro at each corner on one side of the board and another on the opposite side at the base of the handles. When installing, put the side with the corner strips against the doors and the other side will settle against the bottom of the door handles.
Hope this helps.
Keep in mind, I didn't come up with this idea, I just kept improving on the original concept.
As far as goodies inside the frig moving around, we use little plastic boxes (available at CW). My darling wife came up with the arrangement.
Good luck!
Gegallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #20

Picture attached

Sorry, the picture did not come accross.
Hopefully, I have it now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (159.7 KB, 7 views)
Gegallant is offline   Reply With Quote