Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #1

Calling on all fulltimeers! We continue to do our research for entry into the wonderful world of fulltiming next year. In doing so we ran into a fellow from Progressive Insurance at the Denver RV show last month. Of course, he wants to sell us Umbrella insurance. I'll be the first to admit I know zip about this insurance and how much is needed or recommended. Yong and I would be most appreciative knowing your experiences and recommendations on this type of insurance.

The Research never ends.
JellyStonePark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

Our coach is insured by Progressive and we recently had a blowout that caused quite a bit of damage. Progressive didn't blink, a rep met us at our storage facility, inspected the coach, coordinated the repair, and all was done in a professional manner. They are also dealing with the tire company regarding tire performance. Progressive was recommended to us by USAA (our normal insurance carrier) as they provide a very good insurance for a price much less than USAA could provide.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

Hi Darrell:

Here is what I know about Umbrellas.

Umbrella Insurance or a "Personal Umbrella" are additional policies you can purchaseto protect your financial assets in the event of a major loss to someone that you are found at fault - such as a traffic accident with fatalities. Most people purchase this additional policy from their auto or homeowner insurance carrier, but you don't have to.

Personal Umbrellas come in layers that kick in after your auto or homeowners liability insurance is exhausted in a claim.Umbrellas are sold in liability layers with most kicking in at $500K and cover up through $1M or $2M. Since most auto policy limits are $100K/$300K or $300K/$300K, most carriers will require you to increase your auto liability limits to $500K/$500Kin order to qualify.

Of course, this is only my two cents. See your Independent Insurance Agent in order to get his advice andmultiple markets so they canshop for the best price for you.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #4

We have a 1M umbrella policy and have had it ever since we went full time 11 years ago. It is a personnal choice, but with so many people being sue crazy and all the lawyers advertising for your business, it gives me a little peace of mind that somebody won't get what I've worked so hard for. It costs me a little over a hundred dollars a year and you have to keep your regular liability limits set to a certain amount, but I feel it is worth it.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #5

rcflame and anyone else with an umbrella policy:

Who are you insured with? We went with Progressive when we started fulltiming in Nov. They cover our RW and our tv. We've always had an umbrella policy, so when we got this coverage, I asked. Progressive told me that in order to get an umbrella policy, we had to have a stix &brix. If that's not the case I'd like to know so we can addumbrella coverage
Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #6

Ours is with RLI which we got through Farm & City insurance in Forest City Ia. They are an independent agent that has a dept. that deals in rv insurance. I know there are other agents that also handle RLI. That is the only company I have dealt with but I'm sure there are others.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #7

We got our best deal and price through Progressive Ins.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #8

Drifter:

We got the best deal through Progressive too. Are you fulltiming with no stix & brix?Were you able to get an umbrella policy?