Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #1

Replace Residential Refrigerator in 38RL

Has anyone had to replace the Residential Fridge in a 38RL.

We currently have the Whirlpool French Door 19.7 cu. ft.

All comments appreciated.

Thanks,
JTorsrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the Redwood forum. I have no experience replacing a refrigerator in our Redwood which is also a different model and does not have a residential refrig. Just curious, why does it need to be replaced?
Old 07-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #3

Our current Whirlpool Residential Fridge does not need replacement.
However, if and when that day comes, I am trying to find a replacement unit, since our current model has been discontinued by Whirlpool.

The biggest problem with these RV Residentials is the size. It has to fit in the Slide Out Space provided. Which is Not standard, compared to regular Refers in your home.

I have written to REDWOOD Customer Service, but as usual they never respond. From the online photos I have seen, it appears as though most manufacturers who use Residentials, are using the FURRION brand Fridge. It is a 20 cu.ft. Fridge and the measurements are perfect for the FIT! Unfortunately, it appears that the FURRION does not have an Ice Maker in it or water in the door.

So, the question was asked to see if anyone in the REDWOOD Community has had to replace their REFERS.

Another point, is the fact that older Whirlpool refers cannot and will not be repaired by REFER technicians. And RV Dealers have NO Clue when it comes to repairs.

Our current REFER is working very well, but would like to know of a replacement, should that day come.

I cannot put in a GAS / Electric Fridge, since it would require a GAS line plumbed into the Slide. And I am not a Fan of Gas absorption REFERS!

So, the question still stands for those people of older REDWOODS!

Look forward to all replies.

Jeff
Old 07-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #4

We have the Whirlpool in our MB and it's been running 24/7 now for over 4 years and we hope to get many more out of it. Everything I've read about Furrion, I'm not sure I would want one. Seems to be lots of complaints about their products. Montana's have been using the Samsung, but they have there problems too. I guess we'll just cross the replacement bridge when we come to it because you'll just drive yourself crazy if you keep trying to guess all the "What Its".
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #5

Our Whirlpool has been running for 4 years also, Non Stop, Since our RV stays plugged in all the time in the RV Shed when we're not on the road.

I have looked at several other brands. The next closest is the LG 21 cu.ft., but it would be a tight fit.

Like I said, Whirlpool discontinued the one we currently have. I suspect it was probably built specifically for RVs.

Also, unfortunately RV Dealers are NOT able to repair Refers and what I found is that any RV Tech you can find will not repair or attempt to repair the unit, since it is in an RV and not a Home! Some horse crap about legalities!

At any rate, apparently, the Whirlpools are holding up pretty good and that is good to know.

As for the FURRIONs, I can't get any answers from them either. They apparently don't have an ICE Maker in them either. That is sad!

Well, will keep my fingers crossed and press on.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #6

I believe that if you look for a model that is "counter depth" you will have enough room.... do some research on that...

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:12 PM   #7

You are correct. Don't need one now. Just wanted to see if anyone has replaced theirs yet, since I cannot get any response from REDWOOD / THOR customer service.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #8

We and one other forum member replaced our RV fridge with the Samsung fridge that fits into the slideout. Our model is:

RF18HFENBBC

We had ours installed July 2016, and I believe Home Depot (where we purchased) still sells it. The color we chose was black, but it is also available in stainless steel.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #9

That's good to know. Thanks
Old 07-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #10

If your current fridge last another 2-3 years by then you'll be searching again as whatever you find now that fits most likely will have come/gone, unless you're buying one now to store so it will available when/if yours craps out.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!
Rv techs have no knowledge &/or training on residential fridges & true fridge techs won't work on them because all the repairs are made from the lower back side of the fridge & when in a rv the fridge has to come out to be worked & their insurance doesn't allow that in case they drop the fridge or scratch everything up getting it in/out. If/when it needs repaired, if YOU pull it out into the middle of the floor I'm guessing you'd have no problem finding a repair guy.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #11

Yes I have. We had a norcold double door 1200 model. It's a perfect match,(the samsung) and we wouldn't change it. Works great,
skipperr is offline   Reply With Quote