Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #1

Relocated Water Filter

Finally found the time. I relocated my water filter from the basement to the convenience center.

Piece of cake! I brought the hoses in using 3/4 rubber grommets from Home Depot (but you need a 1" chassis punch or drill to make the hole). The hose on the left has a 90 to keep it from kinking behind the panel.

No clearance issues with anything (so far). The tank valve stroke leaves the valves 2" away from the filter, the shower faucet door opens, and my fill is a screw in camping world version with a 90 degree valve so all is good. Might freeze in this location for full timers in the cold climates, but I'll have to see if it does for me on one of my winter adventures.

Boy, the pictures really show how dirty that black area is getting - sorry about that, looks like I need to clean that area up

Old location and new:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water Filter 04-10-2014-009.jpg (283.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06095.jpg (119.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06098.jpg (105.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06102.jpg (212.8 KB, 22 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Brad ~ looks good ! How is access to the dump handles? Looks a little tight in the picture but that might be just the camera angle. Would it have been worth going a little higher on the mount, or would that have interfered with the water handles ?

Think I'm going to need to do this. That's a royal PITA to get to the one behind the wall. Of course, I JUST put the wall back together after replacing the Hot Water Bypass Valve ..............
Old 09-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Brad ~ looks good ! How is access to the dump handles? Looks a little tight in the picture but that might be just the camera angle. Would it have been worth going a little higher on the mount, or would that have interfered with the water handles ?

Think I'm going to need to do this. That's a royal PITA to get to the one behind the wall. Of course, I JUST put the wall back together after replacing the Hot Water Bypass Valve ..............
Vaughan, the handle stroke is 2" shy of hitting the filter. and the filter actually swings in its mounts if you get a real tough valve you can get behind it.

I wanted to go higher, but I would have had to modify the brass fittings to clear the shower faucet hatch, and I didn't have the parts to do that.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #4

WOW This is AWESOME!!! I know what Todd is doing on his next break! LOL! Thanks for sharing another one of your awesome mods Brad!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #5

Won't it freeze a lot easier out there?
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin View Post
We leave the light on in there when it gets really cold.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin View Post
It could Jay! Thats the only reason I can think of that Redwwood did not put it out there, but I've seen it in a similar location on SOBs. What I don't know is if they heated them. I won't know until later this winter if I venture out whether it will freeze or not. I've never measured temp in that cabinet.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #8

This winter, I will put my remote temp monitor in there and report back when it gets cold out... Still nice and warm in these parts. We have the heated freshwater hose, and it was definitely THOUGHTFUL of RW to put an outlet in the cabinet so it could easily be plugged in, I am sure that is what that is for. I think probably the warmed hose in there also helps keep the cabinet from freezing, but I don't trust it completely if it's really cold-I keep the overhead light on to heat it further and plug up the bottom opening with rags. It IS pretty isolated tho... definitely could be a problem. Another thing you could do is plug in one of those nightlights into the outlet with a 5w bulb in it.. that would help too.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 09-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
This winter, I will put my remote temp monitor in there and report back when it gets cold out... Still nice and warm in these parts. We have the heated freshwater hose, and it was definitely THOUGHTFUL of RW to put an outlet in the cabinet so it could easily be plugged in, I am sure that is what that is for. I think probably the warmed hose in there also helps keep the cabinet from freezing, but I don't trust it completely if it's really cold-I keep the overhead light on to heat it further and plug up the bottom opening with rags. It IS pretty isolated tho... definitely could be a problem. Another thing you could do is plug in one of those nightlights into the outlet with a 5w bulb in it.. that would help too.
How cold do you folks get there?

Ya with the outlet, there are many options. I assume you also seal up the hose inlet at the bottom?
Old 09-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #10

yes, that's the opening at the bottom I was referring to that we seal up with rags. We can have "cold snaps" that last for a week or two that go down into the teens on a pretty regular basis, but normally we stay between 30-40 degrees Dec-Feb. We used the electric hose last year and it worked GREAT. Super expensive, but nice to NOT have to worry about the water.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #11

I don't know if anyone actually stays around here with a Redwood, but we can get down to -20 in a hurry. Those would be the days I would worry about and probably rig a heater in there.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #12

Yeah, that's a whole nother level of cold! Definitely have to put your "Mod Thinking Cap" on because I don't think your basement would stay warm enough. We literally didn't have to do anything, and I was very pleased about that. I kept a remote thermometer in the basement near the water manifold to check on it. I like that it logs the coldest is got so I know. Never was below 40 degrees down there and we had a pretty cold winter last year, no snow, but episodes of single digits. That convenience center would be highly vulnerable, in my opinion.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
WOW This is AWESOME!!! I know what Todd is doing on his next break! LOL! Thanks for sharing another one of your awesome mods Brad!
And this is why Todd doesn't want you reading anymore of Brad's posts.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #14

LOL Tracy, yes, it is. I am sitting in the closet right now with the doors closed.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #15

I had a remote Thermometer in ours last year and the inside was 10-13 degrees warmer than outside. I did not leave the light on did put pc of Styrofoam around the entry in floor to seal and had a heated water line. The Temps did get down to 25 at night a few times but everything worked just fine. I will do the same thing this year when it starts getting little colder here in Oregon.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #16

You could easily put a short piece of Heat Tape around the filter body! Using it only when it is super cold! Can be purchased at most hardware stores in various lengths.
JT & BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT & BT View Post
You could easily put a short piece of Heat Tape around the filter body! Using it only when it is super cold! Can be purchased at most hardware stores in various lengths.
I was wondering that - I've never messed with heat tape, I didn't know it came in small lengths. I'll have to take a look.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:39 AM   #18

The shortest length I could find was a 3 ft. piece with thermostat on Amazon.com!

http://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-P...tric+Heat+Tape

Would probably work real well on this application!
JT & BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:50 AM   #19

Nicely done Sir!!
Old 09-11-2015, 04:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT & BT View Post
The shortest length I could find was a 3 ft. piece with thermostat on Amazon.com!

http://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-P...tric+Heat+Tape

Would probably work real well on this application!
Nice - that would do the trick