Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #1

Redwood Service Update

I had mentioned in a previous post somewhere that I would start a new thread to give an update now that I have picked our rig up and brought back home from the RW factory Service.

It all started out with me finally getting so frustrated with the doors,AC and other issues I emailed Christian here on the forum. She got back to me the following day and within 3 hours of her reply RW was calling me!!
We discussed all the issues and had approval to repair all within a week. I did have Andy and Brian look at the door issues at the Rally so they knew what needed to be done if I couldn't repair myself. Next step was to get a service date that I just figured would be months out. Nope...3 weeks later I delivered for the repairs.

No need to list all the individual issues that were a concern on here but the service center did an outstanding job on every issue. The main problem was both entry doors and fender skirts were replaced and I have to say you can not tell. Paint came out perfect and this is what had worried me the most. AC not cooling was also a major problem.

When I arrived to drop off at RW (a day early, opps) I met Gary in the service department who helped unhook and put right in the service bay were we went over every little concern and he made note on all and offered some great advice on what they will do. Even on the trip out there a charging and heater problem popped up. Good timing I guess.

Jump ahead to my journey back to RW yesterday to pick up the finished product. First off, I was on the way with a new tow vehicle that had not towed the RW yet so was worried if all was correct but Randy said not to worry. If any adjustments are needed we will get you on the road. All was good except clearance between RW and bed was a little close so I did raise it when I returned home today.
This time I met with Randy and Troy who was the service tech on most of my repairs. Had it back inside all opened up lights on and plenty of heat. We went over everything that was worked on and explained what was done to correct the problem and wanted me to inspect all they did. Answered every question I had and just make you feel like they care since there was no pressure to get me out the door.
They also did a complete inspection including the pin deflection and also lubed and cleaned all slides and seals as needed.
Most every problem I had actually goes back to the QC at RW not doing there job to make sure a good product goes out the door. Sure some issues are from a different manufacture but Redwood still has to put thier name on it when it's installed wrong at the factory.

Would we buy another Redwood???? Hummmm.... I think we would if they keep improving and after meeting the guys at the service center I'm pretty sure we will. Every make out there has it's own issues.

Many asked about the AC problems and what did they do. Well not all the AC problems are the same on each floor plan as explained to me. So on our 2014 36FL there were many.

Main problem was on rear AC unit on roof were both cold and return were mixing under the unit even though I had it apart to replace the foam that was missing. I didn't have the unit off but I guess there is a second seal under there somewhere so they pulled the unit off.

Took out all vents and sealed the void between the ceiling material and insulation and shortened the collars.

Front end in the living area the last vents are about midway but the main duct goes about 3-4 feet farther with a dead end so the duct was sealed of at the last two vents.
Airflow seams great now but it's in the low 40's here so hard to tell how it's performing but Randy said he was very impressed how well it is working.

Now for you truck guys...... No fighting PLEASE this is just my opinion.
I have had many Fords and GMC'c over the years and both have and are great for what we do.

This is based on just towing our RW and nothing else.

We towed the RW for a year with a 2011 Ford F-350 Lariat DW with 6.7 and now we have a 2015 GMC Denali 3500 DW with the Duromax

The GMC was so much better on ride,comfort and handled it much better then the Ford. No need for air bags that I can see but I did have to raise the hitch to the highest level.
BUT the GMC definitely is lacking on the power side of it compared to the Ford so modifications are in the near future for more power. Plenty of power when on the road but lacking on take off.
The addition of the Exhaust Brake is incredible when coming down some of the mountains or just big hills on 80 & 81 in PA.

Steve
Old 12-18-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Steve and Char, I'm happy for you! It's nice to hear that your problems were resolved and hopefully your worries are now behind you. It's nice that Christian helped you get into the shop.

Since you were pulling your wagon with a GM, I guess there wasn't a need for somebody to steel your exhaust since it wasn't high performance. I'm glad you made it home safely and now you can have a Merry CHRISTmas.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #3

Steve, your experience is in line with what I have found with Redwood. Thanks for posting it. Let us know what you do about the power increase in the truck.

Gary
csg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:30 AM   #4

Great news for you guys! I don't think I have ever heard a bad report from the service center. Those guys really shine it seems.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:42 AM   #5
S&K

Great news Char and Steve! Glad RW took care of all the issues AND you made it back home safely! Merry Christmas!

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #6

Great news.
I have been to the service center twice and as you say they go over everything they did and they always seem to do more than what you ask. They really go the extra mile.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #7

I'm glad the people who have personally delivered their trailer to the service center, seem to have been treated well. My experience with our 13RE in the fall of 2013 was terrible. We left ours at the dealer for repairs. Redwood decided they would do them at the service center, so had it brought there.

When it was finished, it was agreed to deliver it to a sister store that was better for us. We stopped to get it on the way to take it to Florida. It was a mess inside and on the end wall off the dinette slide. The main problems were fixed correctly and haven't returned. However some things were never addressed at all. Hopefully this kind of stuff is in the past.

Mark
Old 12-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by csg11 View Post
Steve, your experience is in line with what I have found with Redwood. Thanks for posting it. Let us know what you do about the power increase in the truck.

Gary
For more power I installed a Banks Power intake, exhaust and a plug in auto mind tuner. Increase was 120 hp and 240 ft lbs of tourqe. You have different levels you can set the truck to. The best part is you can put it back to stock and the onboard computer will give no indication of tuning.it will not void your warrenty. Very noticeable difference in power
Old 12-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
For more power I installed a Banks Power intake, exhaust and a plug in auto mind tuner. Increase was 120 hp and 240 ft lbs of tourqe. You have different levels you can set the truck to. The best part is you can put it back to stock and the onboard computer will give no indication of tuning.it will not void your warrenty. Very noticeable difference in power
If you have a major powertrain failure, you may just be out of luck with your warranty. GM requires a snapshot from the computer
before approval. They can see any tuning changes that have been made. It will not void the entire warranty though.

Mark
Old 12-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I have been tuning trucks for 20yrs and never had a engine problem yet. I guess the old adage comes into play
If you wanna play you might have to pay
Old 12-19-2015, 11:56 PM   #11

We have pulled our Redwood North to South, Coast to Coast with our 2012 GMC Duramax, never had a power problem, overheat problem or needed more power.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
We have pulled our Redwood North to South, Coast to Coast with our 2012 GMC Duramax, never had a power problem, overheat problem or needed more power.
Plenty of power to do the job with no concerns and was only comparing it to the Ford.
Since I was a teenager I have had many toys with lots of power and just kind of stays in your blood so the torque on take off is a must for me. Fuel mileage is second since we haven't had many vehicles that have ever got over 15mpg.

Steve
Old 12-20-2015, 01:16 AM   #13

Nice lookin picture there
Old 12-20-2015, 04:19 AM   #14

That looks way better than the previous picture!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:05 AM   #15

I agree, you may never have a problem. I'm saying your statement that it won't void your warranty isn't entirely true.

Mark
Old 12-20-2015, 05:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Plenty of power to do the job with no concerns and was only comparing it to the Ford.
Since I was a teenager I have had many toys with lots of power and just kind of stays in your blood so the torque on take off is a must for me. Fuel mileage is second since we haven't had many vehicles that have ever got over 15mpg.

Steve
I think Ford gears their trucks a little lower than GM so they should feel stronger on takeoff.

Mark
Old 12-20-2015, 05:36 AM   #17
Site Team

As far as the trucks go......

It's all in what you're used to. I've had all three over the years and they all served me well.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #18

Great to know all is working with your RW. I am very happy with our RW and have received best in class support from RW.

Like you, I just changed from 350 Lariat to a 2016 Silverado 3500 High Country long bed DWD. Still need to check if the recently installed Titan disc brakes are working and bed rail clearance with the new Reese Elite 25K hitch. Got side tracked with CAT & MRI scans and now need to go in for an operation next week. After the holidays I hope to check how the Silverado works with our RW.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:36 PM   #19

Not to add to the Chevy vs Ford debate, but I can offer this: We travel with good friends who now have a 2015 FL RW and they pull it with a 2015 Super Duty 6.7 Dually. We'll both fill up with fuel and run 250 to 300 miles and stop to refuel again. We generally put in almost the same exact mount of fuel, give or take maybe 1/2 a gallon. So to me that says eveything is pretty much equal between them.
Mark, I think you're correct about the gearing, because in GM 4th gear is a 1:1 making 5th and 6th both overdrives, while on Fords I think 4th is inbetween GM's 3rd and 4th gears.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Not to add to the Chevy vs Ford debate, but I can offer this: We travel with good friends who now have a 2015 FL RW and they pull it with a 2015 Super Duty 6.7 Dually. We'll both fill up with fuel and run 250 to 300 miles and stop to refuel again. We generally put in almost the same exact mount of fuel, give or take maybe 1/2 a gallon. So to me that says eveything is pretty much equal between them.
Mark, I think you're correct about the gearing, because in GM 4th gear is a 1:1 making 5th and 6th both overdrives, while on Fords I think 4th is inbetween GM's 3rd and 4th gears.
I'm thinking you are correct. I just looked up some specs and the
2011 Powerstroke had 390 HP and 735 Torque
2015 Duramax has 397 HP and 765 Torque
Must all be in the gearing and shifting.
We also only noticed very minimal change in MPG so far.

Steve