Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #21

Helps me understand! (PS, it is a Fisher-Paykel dishwasher causing the error, not a refrigerator).

My generator bypasses my Progressive Industries EMS, which may be why I'm not having trouble. (my surge is only on the shore line side of the transfer switch).

Thanks for sounding in! I hope that can help Yale and Theresa, and the others.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:28 AM   #22

Mike,
No offense taken whatsoever. You have helped me and a bunch of friends in the Montana Group. Thank you for taking the time to clarify. As Brad says, it wasn't the OP problem with the refer, just the dishwasher.

I chimed in because I experience the same issue when trying to use my companion Honda where I couldn't plug in the NG plug that you recommended. It just sounded to me that he was having similar issues. When I use the NG plug on my primary Honda, both the dishwasher and Splendide washer/dryer work just fine.

I don't have an Onan but it sure sounded like the OP was having a similar issue that us Honda owners solved with the NG plug. Thanks for clarifying/correcting and helping out!!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Mike,
No offense taken whatsoever. You have helped me and a bunch of friends in the Montana Group. Thank you for taking the time to clarify. As Brad says, it wasn't the OP problem with the refer, just the dishwasher.
I figured you would be OK with it, and I'm just trying to make a point about confusing wording when it comes to technology.

The real issue is that the entire electrical industry often uses the same word or color for a bunch of different things, "ground" just being one obvious example.

For another confusing electrical example, consider that for the AC parts of your RV the Black wire is the "hot", while for the 12-volt DC system the black wire is the neutral/return/negative wire connected to the chassis ground plane. While 120-volt AC and 12-volt DC wiring aren't supposed to be in common panels, one never knows what some DIY guy or unknowing technician might have done in the past to an old RV. So don't just start twisting all the black wires together.

Don't get me started on leveling jacks "grounding" your RV. Oh, and a ground rod really doesn't "ground" your RV either. No kidding...
Old 04-25-2015, 01:11 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
I figured you would be OK with it, and I'm just trying to make a point about confusing wording when it comes to technology.

The real issue is that the entire electrical industry often uses the same word or color for a bunch of different things, "ground" just being one obvious example.

For another confusing electrical example, consider that for the AC parts of your RV the Black wire is the "hot", while for the 12-volt DC system the black wire is the neutral/return/negative wire connected to the chassis ground plane. While 120-volt AC and 12-volt DC wiring aren't supposed to be in common panels, one never knows what some DIY guy or unknowing technician might have done in the past to an old RV. So don't just start twisting all the black wires together.

Don't get me started on leveling jacks "grounding" your RV. Oh, and a ground rod really doesn't "ground" your RV either. No kidding...

Mike.............thanks for your posts discussing and helping clarify this issue.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post

Thanks Mike,
I'll forward your info to the dealer service department and ask them to look into your suggestion. It seems Redwood would also like to look into it as your suggested fix if it is fact the issue would be an extremely simple production fix.
Thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated and to me makes sense.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #26

The major problem with RW would be that they would start doing the fix, but as soon as personel changed the fix would be lost and back to the original problem.
There have been numerous problems fixed, only to show up again months or years later. So seems nothing is documented by RW.
An example, our new 2016 still has the problem of the Microwave/Convection Oven Exhaust vent not lining up with the cutout in the wall, preventing proper exhaust.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
The major problem with RW would be that they would start doing the fix, but as soon as personel changed the fix would be lost and back to the original problem.
If this is indeed a Floating Neutral issue (which I'm pretty sure it is), then it's not really a Redwood problem at all. That's because ALL RVs must keep their internal neutral and ground wires isolated as per the NEC and RVIA codes. It's only when they're plugged into shore power or a generator that there's a Ground-Neutral bond created by the outside power source. But a lot of modern electronic devices installed in RVs cause cause problems when there's a floating neutral generator which they interpret as an open ground.

The central problem is that none of the generator manufacturers such as Honda and Yamaha will educate their customers about bonding a floating neutral generator. If they did, then there would be far fewer frustrations with RV appliances shutting down when running from a portable generator, while working while plugged into shore power.

However, I believe that Redwood should educate their own customer service department about the strange failures that floating neutral generators can cause. If their customer service department and shop techs were made aware of this, and possibly post information about it on their own website, there would be far fewer wild goose chases.