Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #1

Redwood 38FL Cable Issues

For years I fulltimed and since we typically stayed in one location a few weeks, I used the satellite and rarely used the park cable or the OTA antenna. Now that I have remarried, we are stationary, renting a house and making many shorter trips until we can both get retired in a couple of years and hit the road again fulltime. Since we are doing more short trips with overnight stays we are using the OTA antenna or park cable.

We have been having problems with both TVs reception when operating on park cable or the OTA antenna on our 38FL.

It seemed like we have a cable connection issue, maybe something loose at the splitters as both TVs used to work much better on park cable or the OTA antenna.

When using our satellite receiver both TVs work great. I did run an new cable from the docking station to the satellite receiver shortly after we purchased our Redwood because I could not get it to work either, no issues with either TV on the satellite receiver since.

It took me some time but with a cable trace tool and some digging around in the ceiling, I finally figured out where all the cable connections are.

Remember this is the layout for a 38FL Front Living and will have no similarity to a Rear Living.

There is a Gray Coax Cable for the TVs signal that comes from the Antenna Booster (the plate with the pushbutton and green light for the OTA antenna) above the Front Living Room TV goes all the way back to the area just above the ceiling light next to the Kitchen Pantry.
What I found above the Light was a 3 Way Splitter connected to a 2 Way Splitter. Basically there are Gray 5 Coax TV Cables up there.
Using my new cable identifier, I was able to identify all but one of the Gray coax cables.
One Cable goes to the Antenna Booster output connection above the Front Living Room TV
One Cable goes back up front to the Front Living Room TV
One Cable goes back to the Bedroom TV
One Cable goes to a Cable connection in the ceiling of the storage cabinet above the Pantry.
One Cable goes to unknown, I assume it goes to the outside compartment by the dining table but I cannot find a cable in that area (on our 2014 Redwood the outside TV was an option, we bought off the lot and it did not have that option)
I removed the cable connection from the storage cabinet above the pantry and placed a blank cover plate up there (we will never put a TV up there).
I did not connect the unknown Cable as 2 TVs is plenty for us.
I installed a new Digital TV splitter with one input and two outputs. I confirmed the input goes to the Antenna Booster output above the Front Living Room TV, the splitter outputs are confirmed, one goes to the Front Living TV and one goes to the Rear Bedroom TV.
I also replaced the Bat Wing Antenna with a King Jack HDTV Antenna.

Guess this coming memorial day weekend we will see if the effort was worth it and all TVs work on the OTA antenna and park cable as they should.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #2

Out this weekend at CG in Defuniak Springs FL.
All the TV Cable repairs work great, getting great solid OTA signal and park cable connection is clear and crisp.
It has been a long time since our OTA and park cable connections have worked this good, the 1/2 day Saturday repair time was well spent !!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #3

I have the 2013 36RL my cable TV is always poor. I will look into this myself. Thanks for the update.