Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
Site Team

Rear Stabilizing Jacks

This was first posted on the other forum. These are a "must add" for our coaches.
One of the things we have never been happy with is the stability of the coach after set up. The rear section sways quite a bit when walked on. These REALLY help and install was a snap. There is even a really convenient spot just in front of the hitch frame that looks like it was made for it.

I used a BAL 24830 telescopic jack that I got on Amazon. There are also electric ones, but this one with a cordless drill is about a two minute setup if that. One thing you do want to add is the 7.25" pads. They are not in the pictures.

I've asked Brad (atom ant) to post pics for me as we are traveling and I don't have my regular laptop.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:45 AM   #2

That looks great Vaughan! Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:18 AM   #3
Site Team

We're out with the coach now. These took almost all movement out of the living area.
Highly recommend them !
Old 04-30-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
lwg

Yep, just like mine. Should come that way from the factory!
Old 04-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #5

How are they installed?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Installed with 4 bolts. Need to drill 4 holes and then just bolt it onto the piece of 2x2 tubing that looks like it was put in front of the hitch frame for this purpose.
I was up to my butt in work last week and didn't have a chance to put it on so asked the Service Tech to do it while it was at dealer getting a couple things done. They charged me 45 minutes labor which I thought was fair.

Easy install yourself but you will need two people as it's a bit long and heavy.

Also, get the pads to go under it that stay attached to the jack arms. You want the 7.25" ones. I got them from PPL Motorhomes.

Amazing how much more stable coach is. No more swaying and creaking if someone is walking at back of her.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Installed with 4 bolts. Need to drill 4 holes and then just bolt it onto the piece of 2x2 tubing that looks like it was put in front of the hitch frame for this purpose.
I was up to my butt in work last week and didn't have a chance to put it on so asked the Service Tech to do it while it was at dealer getting a couple things done. They charged me 45 minutes labor which I thought was fair.

Easy install yourself but you will need two people as it's a bit long and heavy.

Also, get the pads to go under it that stay attached to the jack arms. You want the 7.25" ones. I got them from PPL Motorhomes.

Amazing how much more stable coach is. No more swaying and creaking if someone is walking at back of her.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #8

Looks like I better keep my electric impact gun on board! I almost removed it because of the self leveling jacks.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:41 AM   #9
S&K

Tool kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Looks like I better keep my electric impact gun on board! I almost removed it because of the self leveling jacks.
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what tools would you deem necessary to have on hand?

We took the basic ones on our first mini-trip, but want to stock it for any problem that may come up. On the first trip, we had to tighten the drain on the galley sink. Leaked pretty bad.

Also had to try and open the storage tube for the 'nasty' flexible black water pipe that didn't fit.

This first trip was to test out the features, not necessarily fix anything. What tools would you keep on board at all times?

Thanks,

Shelley

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #10

It is hard to stock it for any problem that would come up since you never know what it sill be. I want a basic socket set and a set of combination wrenches that will cover all sizes up to an inch in us and metric.. A set of screwdrivers that cover all sizes and shapes. Set of allen wrenches in us and metric. Several sizes of vice grip, pliars, and channel locks. I'm sure there is more, but can't think of them at the momenr.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
lwg

I basically keep the following, luckily Dad's Toolbox holds everything perfectly:

-Full set of SAE and Metric sockets, both 1/4" and 3/8" Drive
-Some 3/4" sockets, mainly for hitch related work.
-Rubber Mallet
-Channel Locks
-Needle Nose Pliers
-Wire Cutters
-small and large Phillips screwdrivers
-small and large slotted screwdrivers
-adjustable wrench, 2 sizes
-full set of SAE and Metric combo wrenches (ratchet on one side)
-full set of SAE, Metric and Torx Allen Keys
-Hacksaw
-ball peen hammer
-Multimeter
-Small batch of misc wire, wire nuts and connectors, electrical tape
-lots of zip ties
-Electric drill and impact tool with 2 rechargeable batteries
-attachment for above for screws, 1/4" & 3/8" drive for sockets
-cordless LED work light
-And of course Duct Tape!

I've found I can literally fix anything with the above toolset.

On edit I also carry a few items like silicone sealant for exterior walls, a couple of tubes of the Alpha sealant for the roof, things like that. I've just accumulated a lot of it from various projects over time and find it nice to keep in inventory for when I get bored and decide to modify the coach!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #12
Site Team

Also - go to Lowes or Home Depot or Wally World and pick up a couple of those plastic nut, bolt and screw assortments. Doesn't cost much and if you get Machine Screws, Wood Screws and a Nut and bolt assortment you won't have to wait to fix most things.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:01 AM   #13

I always thought the most invaluable tool on a camper was the square recess head driver, but it looks like those screw heads now accept a phillips screwdriver as well.