Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Does anyone have the solid surface counters. We are close to purchase and all we have seen is the quartz. They are beautiful, but super heavy. We are thinking about ordering instead to buying off the lot. I would like to see the solid surface to determine the quality, but can't seem to find one without the quartz. I have heard good and bad about both. We are buying the 38GK.
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Our coach has the Quartz and quite frankly I would have rather had the solid surface. The other RW we were considering had the LG solid surface and we actually liked it better. Plus - it's a lot lighter.

FWIW, my island counter was cracked at delivery and the replacement was also cracked in shipment. I am going to try and scedule with RW to have the counter replaced either before or after the Rally when we are there.

My $.02, but if it were me and I could, I'd order the solid surface rather than Quartz.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #3

That's definitely what we are thinking. The coach is heavy just with the length. This just adds to it.
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #4

Not sure if you were asking what they look like, but here are some pictures off the net.

We had the same concerns you did, and ordered without quartz. The quartz is pretty, but I didn't like the edge they put on it, and I sure didn't want the weight. The sink covers and stove covers were like storing the 10 commandments. I also prefer the brick look on the backsplash with the standard surface.

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #5

I have the LG counters in my 36RL and will be going with those again when I order my next Redwood. The quartz are too heavy in my opinion and their durability is questionable as I've seen so many cracked or chipped already. I know the quartz island in the 36RL adds an additional 400 lbs just to the island. That is weight I would rather carry for personal property or water rather than counter tops. Just my opinion...

Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #6

We love our solid surface counter tops. Easier to care for and not nearly as heavy
Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
par

I will also have to make that decision, can someone please identify the material in the solid surface counter?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

We have the quartz countertops in our RL. We ordered it from the factory and didn't ask for the quartz -- it just came that way. I love them -- like the color/pattern, can take heat (don't knowthat I'd leave a pot full of candy that's 200 or 300 degrees on it, but a hot pot for a short time doesn't affect it), easy to clean. I actually like the straight sided "pencil" edge better than the shaped on on the solid surface. Yes, it's heavy, but I don't think the island top weighs anywhere near 400 lbs. Our RL left the factory at just under 14,800 lbs and we have a generator, separate washer and dryer, large (heavy!) ottoman. bigger tires and wheels, oven and convection microwave (they weigh a lot more than just a microwave), dishwasher and thermal windows. The factory will supply lighter weight covers for the sink and stove if that's a problem (ours came with covers of the same material and we haven't bothered to ask them to send the lighter ones). It has worked out well for us -- we're VERY happy with the quartz!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by par

I will also have to make that decision, can someone please identify the material in the solid surface counter?
I'm no expert but I think it is a type of Corian (Acrylic). Here is a Link but I'm not positive this is the brand they use - LG Hausey HI-MAC

SueMar - agree on the heat.I don't know how much heat this standard tops will take, but that was a "con" when we were trying to decide. Edited by: atom ant
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #10

SueMar,

We also have the quartz countertops and love them. The extra sink inserts are quite handy. They're essentially cutting board inserts. I'd highly recommend asking the factory to send them to you.

FYI...our quartz countertops showed up on our unit without ordering them as well. It was a nice surprise.
Kevin & Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroute
I have the LG counters in my 36RL and will be going with those again when I order my next Redwood. The quartz are too heavy in my opinion and their durability is questionable as I've seen so many cracked or chipped already. I know the quartz island in the 36RL adds an additional 400 lbs just to the island. That is weight I would rather carry for personal property or water rather than counter tops. Just my opinion...

The 400 lbs is a little high I think. I recently installed a quartz vanity top in a bathroom remodeling project at home. It weighed 15 lbs per square foot. The vanity top is 1.125 inches thick. A typical kitchen quartz top is 1.5 inches thick max. If you scale the weight for thickness, a quartz kitchen counter top will weigh approximately 20 lbs per square foot. So, measure/calculate the area (in sq ft)of counter top in your kitchenfor the 5th wheel and multipy by 20 and you have the total weight of the quartz. Now, subtract the weight of the LG solid surface counter top (I guess at 10 lbs per sq ft)and you have the differential added weight for quartz counter tops.

Having said all of this, we have the LG solid surface counter tops in our 2012 36RL andlike them just fine. They look very nice as the pictures illustrate and have held up very well sofar. But, we use a hot pad if setting something very hot on the surface. Hot pads add very little weight!

Edited by: hoosierguy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #12

20 lbs/ft2 sounds about right when I lifted the sink covers. I think the standard surface tops are closer to 5 lbs/ft2.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #13

We have had quartz at home for at least the past 3 years. Unlike granite and some other natural stone they do not require maintenance and sealing. Our counters have no chips, cuts or stains and still look likethey did the day they were installed. The counters at home are however about twice as thick as the quartz in the coach.

As per the previous post, we use hot pads when placing hot pans or cold/frozen food on the counter. We have dropped a few items on the counters, which received no damage, same can't be said for the items that were dropped.

Yes, they are heavier than the LG/Corian, but in my experience they are more resistant to damage.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote