Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #1

Progressive Surge Protector

Hi well thought I would throw this out there for someone in case they ever wonder....

I purchased the Progressive hard wired 50 AMP surge protector that has the extra read out screen and 15ft data cable that comes with it. I need about 20 ft to comfortably mount this from the front storage compartment to the closet by the entry door. I called progressive and was told that this was a special data cable and they wanted an outrages price for a longer one. I looked it over and thought it looked more like a old phone line that I have hundreds of extra extensions. I ordered a 35 ft data cable on Amazon which when I got it looked to big. Well took the 15 mile trip to storage and guess what? It is the old phone line cable for 2 lines Black Red Green and Yellow. So if anyone is wondering about this that is looking to install the extra display needing the extra cable don't get fooled this is just plain old phone line.

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #2

I suppose over time, that 4 conductor cable and RJ11 jacks will start to be
"special data cable" to the younger folks, as hardwire telephones fade away. The phone wiring is gone in RVs, and sounds like it may be going away in homes if AT&T has their way in the Southeast and drops hardwire service altogether.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #3

I was hooking my remote display up the other day, and needed a longer cable, of course. Being in a hurry, I bought a regular telephone cable. It turns out that the one I got is reversed on one end. I don't know if they all are. So I wound up cutting the cable and switching the wires so it would work as a data cable. We had lightning storms all weekend in the Dallas area, and it was a good feeling that the Progressive was helping keep our new rig protected.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #4

Tbird as a matter of fact you are correct the sales rep did mention something about the cables being reversed. But if I use the old phone line extension with female end and the cable it came with it should still work.

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote