Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Site Team

Problems with Trail air pin box

I'm having problems with my Tri-Glide pin box and I'd like to hear if anybody else has had this problem. While disconnected from the truck, I can reach up and move the pin freely by hand without any resistance at all. It feels like it's just sitting there disconnected from the rollers.

I called e-trailer who I ordered it from and they refereed me back to Trail-Air. I called Trail-air and they said that although this has happened before....my 12 month warranty could be void since this is an after market item sold by e-trailer (even though it's an option from Redwood).

Has anybody else had any problem similar to this with their Tri-glides? If so how did you fix it?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #2

Dave,
I just looked at the Trail air on the e-trailer web site and it said it was warrantied for a year. One of them should cover it, may take a little push.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Site Team

etrailer got back to me and said that they'd help me and stand by the warranty. It looks like the rubber bars all broke
Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Site Team

After getting home tonight I was able to look closer at the pin box. It looks like the rubber pins that cushion the rocking action all broke. Now it goes to the rear and forward stops without resistance.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #5

mine seem fairly "easier" then I thought it would be to move back and forth too...

not sure what to expect though - will have to ask the dealer after our maiden voyage this weekend...

johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo
mine seem fairly "easier" then I thought it would be to move back and forth too...

not sure what to expect though - will have to ask the dealer after our maiden voyage this weekend...

After you move it by hand it should go back to the neutral position
Old 10-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #7

Thanks D - then it is broken... if I push it back, it stays back, push it forward and it stays forward...

maybe that explains the bump when stopping or starting

Had the trail air on the previous 5er, but not the tri-glide.... so this is new to me...

Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks D - then it is broken... if I push it back, it stays back, push it forward and it stays forward...

Had the trail air on the previous 5er, but not the tri-glide.... so this is new to me...

Mine does this also. I thought that was normal.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy
Quote:
Thanks D -Â* then it is broken... if I push it back, it stays back, push it forward and it stays forward...

Mine does this also. I thought that was normal.
X2. I dont think neutral is center on these, but I might be wrong. On the standard trailair, the center woulf be neutral, but I think these are more like the demco.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #10

Wow, can there be that many defective units? Is it possible that you need weight on it to engage something in the pinbox??
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Site Team

I could be completely wrong! It might be that I greased mine so much that it now feels different. I talked with Colonel and he said he couldn't move his as much as I can move mine. I can move mine to either end stop with a loud clunk with only about 5 pounds of force. While pulling the trailer I'm getting chucking that I didn't used to get while going over bridge joints.

Again...maybe I over lubricated it.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #12

Bridge joints? You may find that your hitch is OK but you still have too much air in the hitch. (I know... this has been discussed many times). Forget those little arrows that are in the instructions. Start out with 65psi - which puts the shock cover somewhat over the arrows.

This made all the difference in mine over dips and road joints (the ones with all the rubber skidmarks you see just before it's too late!)
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
Bridge joints? You may find that your hitch is OK but you still have too much air in the hitch. (I know... this has been discussed many times). Forget those little arrows that are in the instructions. Start out with 65psi - which puts the shock cover somewhat over the arrows.

This made all the difference in mine over dips and road joints (the ones with all the rubber skidmarks you see just before it's too late!)
Mike, I keep mine inflated above the arrows.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Site Team

It sounds like it's time for me to EAT CROW! After hearing from many of you I guess my pin box is acting as it should. Thank you everyone for helping me figure this thing out.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #15

Dave I know you are not 60 or over so we could just chalk it up to a Senior Moment training exercise
Old 10-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #16

Dave, It's possible that not just the pin box wasÂ*overlubricated. Plus, now all that extra grease you pumped in has added to your pin weight.Â* Is the back of your dually sagging?Â*Ha Ha.Edited by: 5th_Time

Old 10-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
Bridge joints? You may find that your hitch is OK but you still have too much air in the hitch.Â* (I know... this has been discussed many times).Â* Forget those little arrows that are in the instructions.Â* Start out with 65psi - which puts the shock cover somewhat over the arrows.
Â*
Thanks for this bit of advice. I hadn't heard this yet and have pretty bad chucking just as you described. I assumed I just needed more pin weight.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #18

On our previous 5er with a trailair I aired up until the arrows were lined up and then checked the psi ---
nearly 100 lb max that trailair says not to exceed, so I lowered it...

our first tug with the 38gk and it had much more chucking than the last 5er....
so going to let some air out of the trail air and now that I have my cat scale weights I can do some figuring

my initial guess is the 110 psi in the rv tires that have NO give in them and are stunted when it hits a bump rather than absorbing and rolling over...
Edited by: johnboytoo
Old 10-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #19

When I first picked up my RL, the dealer's tech filled it up to the tops of the arrows. My Redwood towed fine, but you could feel the "harshness". Then we hit a bridge seam and the Redwood bounced and rebounded again and again on that rock hard airbag until it felt like it would pull the dually's rear wheels off the ground. It completely overwhelmed the Trail Air's shock.

After that I lowered the pressure to 65psi. The softer air bag seems to break the bounce/rebound cycle and the rig also tows a lot better (softer) so that you hardly notice it's back there. I've never had "chucking" with this rig, but there are a lot of other factors that contribute to that.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #20

Dave,
Did you say you saw some torn rubber in there, or did that turn out to be OK?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote