Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #1

Portable generator 5500 watt generator reduced down to a 30 amp connection going to m

P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sncindee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:20 AM   #2

If there was a comment or question it didn't happen.
One comment though, 5500 watt generator doesn't sound very "portable" to me.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #3

Lol

sncindee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #4

When I first read this post I couldn't figure out what the issue was, now I think I know.

So...

I just picked up the RV from Tiara. I ran the generator and the Power Control System display shows that I'm connected to 30 amp service. There is a light for the generator but it's not lit. I would think that when the generator is running the generator indicator light would be illuminated but the 30 amp indicator is illuminated instead. And of course the system shuts down an A/C when I go over 30 amps. Onan says the 5.5kw generator puts out 48 amps so I have enough to run 2 A/C. Anyone have any ideas?

And, yeah, I missed this in the PDI

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #5

When your generator shuts down on a fault, the generator display will flash in a series; slow and fast. You need to refer to your operator's manual in order to decipher the code.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddFlap View Post
When I first read this post I couldn't figure out what the issue was, now I think I know.

So...

I just picked up the RV from Tiara. I ran the generator and the Power Control System display shows that I'm connected to 30 amp service. There is a light for the generator but it's not lit. I would think that when the generator is running the generator indicator light would be illuminated but the 30 amp indicator is illuminated instead. And of course the system shuts down an A/C when I go over 30 amps. Onan says the 5.5kw generator puts out 48 amps so I have enough to run 2 A/C. Anyone have any ideas?

And, yeah, I missed this in the PDI
Are both your breakers engaged on the generator itself?

I'm not positive which power management system Redwood used, but the Precision Circuits Power Management System has a bit of a bizarre way of sensing what is providing the power source. I attached the manual and an excerpt below:

Service Type:
No Service -
PCS has 12V Battery power to run the electronics, however, it
does not sense any 120/240VAC Power.

50-amp Service -
PCS senses 240/208VAC between L1 and L2 to determine
this mode of operation.
PCS controls the loads so that the current does not
exceed L1 limit of 50amps, L2 limit of 50amps, and a combined limit of 100 amps.

30-amp Service -
PCS senses 0VAC between L1 and L2. PCS adds the
current of the two sensors and controls the loads so that the current does not
exceed 30 amps.

20-amp Service -
PCS senses 0VAC between L1 and L2, and the owner selects
20A on the Central Monitor Panel.
PCS adds the current of the two sensors and
controls the loads so that the current does not exceed 20 amps.

Generator -
PCS senses power to the Gen Hour Meter to determine this mode
of operation.
PCS controls the loads so that the current does not exceed the
ratings of the installed Generator, for example L1 limit of 35amps, L2 limit of
35amps, and a combined Limit of 63 amps.

The Onan 5500 has either a 30A/20A output breaker arrangement, or a 30A/30A output depending on the model (ours was 30A/20A). I'm wondering if Redwood never set up the generator on the power management system. Just the fact you said it reads 30A makes me wonder why it doesn't say GEN. It has to sense the generator is operating from the hourmeter, and then once it does your L1 and L2 assigments should match the generator output breakers. Once you have that, it should work on generator exactly as if you didn't have the power management system and should easily power 2 ACs providing they are split between L1 and L2. Both being on one leg was a problem we found in our Redwood and I rearranged the breakers a bit to balance the load - going a little heavier on my 30A than the 20A.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PCSOwnersManual.pdf (107.1 KB, 9 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:49 AM   #7

I'm not sure I can help as I am still learning but I will tell you what my factory setup looks like. When plugged into 30 amp, the 30 amp light is on,and with both airs going I use up to 27 amps. With 50 amp service the same thing happens only the 50 amp light is on. When I start my factory 7k Onan it lights the 30 amp light. I turn on both airs, hot water, a couple tvs and I am around 38 amps on the display. The 30 amp light goes out and the 50 amp light is on. If I then start the microwave it will jump up to 51 amps and shut down the water heater or air. Can't remember which it was. I think it's working as designed. My only concern was that at no point did the generator light come on. I'm going to keep digging and my dealer has promised to get an answer for me next week.
boatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #8

Old subject , but the the PCS Mini has a generator connection that needs to be connected to the gen hour meter connector in the on command control center mounted in the basement .. I had the same issue , once I made the connection the gen light now comes on , not the 30 amp light .. I had same issue .. Since the dealer installed my gen set , I doubt if they are even aware of the wiring set up .. I also have issues with 50 amp not lighting up and I’m about to tackle that issue ...
brad chilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #9

I will be interest in the 50 amp issue. Mine does not light up either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sncindee View Post
P

Just a FYI some of the less expensive generators that are 120/240 volt will not put out enough power to start a 120 volt 15,000 but AC. they have split windings that only one side of the generator head is used and some of them I have worked on only have voltage sensing on one winding. So before you take mush time and money try a cheap adaptor set up
Old 08-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcountrybarry View Post
I will be interest in the 50 amp issue. Mine does not light up either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Barry , did you get your 50 amp issue resolved ? I was able to resolve mine with some re-wiring of the breaker box .. I also have what I believe is the current wiring diagram being used for the mini PCs system ... hit me up directly if you have any questions..
Brad

2018 RW 3991RD
2018 Ram Dually
brad chilton is offline   Reply With Quote