Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #1

non working electrcal receptacles

I have a 2015 redwood 31SL. After being at an RV park for about 2 weeks, the 110 volt receptacles quit working in the back of the coach (entertainment system) and the passenger side slide. These receptacles plus the drivers side slide receptacles are fed from the same breaker. I have disassembled all of the non working receptacles and working receptacles and verified that none had a loose wire. I also checked the continuity of the common side of the non working receptacles back to the breaker box and verified that they were all still connected. I then went looking behind all of the drawers for a junction box and did not find one. I have temporarily fixed the problem by back feeding the nonworking receptacles from the drivers side slide receptacles. I would like to find the problem and fix it. Does anyone have a wiring schematic for a Redwood 31SL and/or suggestions about other things to look at.
filesrsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:43 AM   #2

Reset the GFCI in the bathroom!
Any schematics for RWs are as rare as hens teeth.
One recommendation would be is if you don't have a surge protector/ems to get one, hardwired or portable, ASAP, there's too many delicate electronics & too many old rv parks to go unprotected.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #3

wiring

you may have 2 or 3 gfi in that rig --bathroom---island---kitchen counter--outside.. back feeding is really dangerous..get your self one of these or similar

https://www.amazon.ca/Gardner-Bender...66931420&psc=1
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #4

I had the exact same issue and did exactly what you did to troubleshoot. 3901 MB. Found the bad connection in the small outside storage compartment under the bed slide. I never would have thought it had an outlet in it. Took me a while but I found it by following wires behind the basement wall.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I do have the circuit testers you suggested and they are a necessary tool when you have an Rv. I do have all of the GFCI protected receptacles you indicated except they are all looped through a single GFCI located in the bathroom. These all checked out okay.
filesrsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:17 PM   #6

gfi

check the wet bay plug caue i have 3 in my unit and originally was told i should have only 2. so i went through the same search when a plug in the kitchen counter would not work. there is also a plug in the outside tv and the tool box if u have one
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:21 PM   #7

Our central Vac, Dirt Devil, is also plugged into a receptacle that is on the load side of the GFCI circuit behind the steps.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by filesrsf View Post
Thanks for the input. I do have the circuit testers you suggested and they are a necessary tool when you have an Rv. I do have all of the GFCI protected receptacles you indicated except they are all looped through a single GFCI located in the bathroom. These all checked out okay.
On mine the bathroom GFCI wasn't tripped rather the "line" wire was good, but the "load" wire had arced & wasn't making contact, that plug still worked but everything downstream did not. All the wet location plugs were tied to that one GFCI.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
rex

Check your 50 amp cord. You may not be making contact on one leg at the power inlet. This happened to me with a 90 degree dog bone adapter.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:54 PM   #10

Non working electrical

I would start first at the main power source. Make sure that both legs are hot. Then look at your power cord. Make sure that the end is good. I had the same situation happen to me as you described. It was confusing because most other things in the coach was working. I found that the end which I had replaced on the 50 amp cord was bad. Had it happen one other time on a 50 amp cord which I had not done anything to. The end had gone bad. So being I had the same scenario twice I would start there. Hope that helps.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #11

Check wire nuts for 110v breaker

Here's one for you...had same issue returning from last trip this spring. Noticed that fridge switched to propane...no power to entertainment outlets either. Checked everything that's been mentioned here with no luck. Then checked 110v breaker for that circuit... found a piece of plastic wire insulation sheath in the neutral side wire nut breaking the connection.

2018 3401RL
MtnGoat52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:58 AM   #12

Had the same issue last year on our unit. Turned out to be the connection located at the rear of the trailer. Follow the cab tire wire from the slide and found this connection. Don't believe these are designed for wet conditions. Fixed temp until I installed a proper weather tight junction box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190108_102408.jpg (377.4 KB, 9 views)
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote