Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #1

Hi, All,

(..the latest episode of the continuing saga of an RV Noob and his shiny, new 36FB.)

First cold snap --> On with thefurnace, nice and toasty-toasty.

Second cold snap --> On with the furnace, nice and toasty-toasty...in the den and kitchen ONLY! No hot air from the bedroom vent at all! None! Zip! Nada!

Themost excellent "AAA RV Pro" in Plano, Texas suggested i peek through the little door in the large under storage space. (There's a little door?) Yep, it looks like the duct and flashing that WAS connected to the bedroom vent is now laying on it's side on the "floor" of the 36FB undercarriage.

QUESTION 1. Does anyone know the best way to securely attach the heating duct and flashing to the bedroom vent?

QUESTION 2. Am I going to have to RE-ATTACH all the heating duct flashing all over the trailer just to feel confident that this problem is not going to re-occur?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and war stories you may provide,

Robt.

Mr_Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #2

Yeah...welcome to "THE REDWOOD". This happened to mine also. You can tow it to a dealer for repairs as some might suggest orrrrr you can take down the walls in the cargo area and re attach the vent with some screws and washers and a prop to hold it in place. The first time I only used the tape and iot did not hold. With ours the bedroom heat comes out strong and the living area not as much. So the bedroom is always warmer than the livingroom. Tomarrow I will enter the cargo area,take down the walls and see what other connection was not done right. Also the thermostat is like off 5 degrees but this is NORMAL. Or so I have been told. Any popping of the leveling jacks? Good luck
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #3

Oh, damn....
Mr_Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #4

DonMac, that is what they call (Within factory standards) the gray area that we are all having problems with. I would suggest an adjustable register in the bed room because it's close to the source. Our RL has the same issues. It's a long way down to the end of the heating duct to the living room. I check the heat flow sometimes with a tissue held over it. That's how little comes out. Probably why they have the fireplace next to it. HA HA??? + Santa won't get burnt. Have a happy and warm holiday.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #5

It's really not that hard to take down the
wall in the garage. About ten or twelve S2 (square socket) screws. The hardest part is cleaning it out. Buy real duct tape- the metal tape and tear it down to two inch strips and reattach the duct pipes to the furnace with the two inch strips of duct tape. Ensure there are no air leaks. I wish Redwood would have used insulated duct pipes. The whole process takes about 30 to 45 minutes to complete. Suggestion - bring a hand vacuum or dust brush with you. You'll discover a whole lot of wood and metal shavings.

Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #6

We have the "no air in the bedroom, extra warm basement" dilema going on also. Haven't tried to fix it yet, dreading unloading the basement. While we like the bedroom cooler at night and the wife likes the "heated floor in the shower" I know it needs to be fixed.
Funny story on me. We recently got caught in a cold snap in Oklahoma and since there was no heat in the bedroom decided to use the heat pump. Discovered that if you accidently forget to shut off the front a/c it will fight with the heat pump.Had a comfortable night after that. Learn something everyday!
2013 Redwood 36RL Full paint D/W W/D 2 A/C's and all the other stuff.
jrgkfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Site Team

Also keep in mid the heat pump doesn't seem to work very well below 38 degrees.

We like the bedroom cold (more cuddling) so we keep our heat turned way down and leave the fireplace on as both a heat source and night light.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #8

Dave, it's a nightlight for you because you're probably sleeping on the couch (after all those chores you assigned her).
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #9

I am getting a lot of info regarding heat etc. My RW34SK has held together so far. Glad to know that you can remove the side walls in the basement to get at furnace, water heater, and other items. We camped in Tucson with Tucsopn's Sunny Sams last week. Temps got to 30 degress and the rig was very warm. However the 5100 BTU fireplace could not keep up with the cold so on went the furnace. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!