Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #1
Site Team

Need satellite help

Installing the new King Tailgater Pro 4500. Have it in a removable roof mount and also got the tripod. Trying to do the initial setup and it gets 5 minutes into the setup and says "installation failed". It does say onscreen that "signal verified". Spent an hour on hold for t ch support and she right away said " it's a problem in your wiring, you'll need to run new coax". I'm finding this a little hard to buy into since the antenna turned and pointed and the screen said Reception Verified.

Any of you all run into this ? I'm going o climb onto roof and run a straight coax to the Wally receiver but the last thing I want to have to do is run new cables. I can't even imagine how to do that, especially to the bedroom set.

Thanks guys for any help !
Old 04-08-2018, 11:29 PM   #2

Vaughan,

I have the Pathway X2 portable... When I first got it, i played HECK getting it to set up.. They always kept telling me it was my cables....

Turns out, I needed to have a clear view of the western arc satellite’s to do the initial set up...

Call this number - 507-424-4935,,, that should be KaRissa Rubin with RV Tech Support based out of Minnesota ..They trouble shoot Pace and Dish. She stayed on the phone with me for the entire time while we figured it out... she even dropped me emails after checking to see If I was still ok..

I think all total, I was probably close to 13 hours on the phone over the duration of figuring out the mess.... She is good.. AND SHE HAS AN RV....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:46 PM   #3

Vaughan,

That is the issue I ran into with the small portable dish. The length of coax is a problem. Too often I had to fish coax though the slide to shorten the distance. No issues using the standard size dish and the rigs wiring. Again, that’s one of the reason mine is collecting dust on the work bench.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #4

Vaughn:

Not sure if you got it working, but for the initial setup, I would try connecting directly to the receiver with the antenna's provided coax. See if that works.

Fred
Old 04-15-2018, 03:16 PM   #5

Vaughan, That is exactly what mine was (is) doing. I switched from a Vip211 to Wally. The Travelr on the roof says all 3 satellites are locked in, but the Wally says install fail or the next time 1 satellite or the next time 2.

I personally think it is all about the Wally, and I don't look forward to messing with mine again this spring. Tried it last month and after I put it away working, I get fail.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Brad - I think you may be right. At this time I have it hooked directly from the Tailgater in its roof mount to the Wally in the living room with a new RG6 cable. It's working fine, even held a signal through the blizzard we got here in SD the other day. That actually surprised me with all the wind and total whiteout conditions.

We'll be moving to Rapid City on Tuesday and will be there about two weeks. As soon as I get a warmer day, I'm going to test the Redwood installed cables for continuity and also to mark them. Then I'll call Dish again.

I'm still getting familiar with sat systems, is there any kind of inline signal booster that can be added to the antenna coax run ? I'm thinking that's where the issue is - the Wally doesn't put out enough power. Although I can't figure why it would work on one cable and not another .......
Old 04-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post

I'm still getting familiar with sat systems, is there any kind of inline signal booster that can be added to the antenna coax run ? I'm thinking that's where the issue is - the Wally doesn't put out enough power. Although I can't figure why it would work on one cable and not another .......
I would like to say no, but I might be wrong. I think Dish actually uses a booster for large houses.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #8

We use a Wally with a Pathway X1 and have no problems, knock on wood. Soon will buy a 2nd Wally for the bedroom.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:08 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
I have been told by Dish senior techs and King Electronics techs (manufacturer of the Tailgater) that the majority of problems are caused by the cabling. They advised to always use the best quality RG6 coax cable with professional end connectors and limit the cable run to 50 ft. The Tailgater motor is powered to align the small satellite dish by voltage running from the receiver to the Tailgater thru the coax cable which also returns the tv signal thru the same cable back to the receiver. It does not like splitters in the cabling which are inevitable in the Redwood internal cabling. Sometimes when I am having problems I can remedy them by connecting the cable from the Tailgater directly to the receiver, bypassing the Redwood internal cabling. Connections need to be tight and the Tailgater handle needs to point to the north here in the west.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #10

When we ohmed my cables we found a splitter on the satellite cables in the ceiling along with the antenna/cable runs. The antenna cable was hooked up wrong on the splitter & I didn't think satellite cables were to have splitters, but there's at least one on mine.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #11

There is one splitter on the cable shown on the schematic as "Satellite Jumper" that runs between the two TVs, but that cable shouldn't need to be used for a standard satellite install.

Make sure you are getting the right satellite cable. Each TV has 3, and 1 of those has a splitter and runs between TVs only. But of course Redwood may not have been consistent.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite.pdf (10.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #12

Brad that may be the case on mine as I don't have satellite, but did find the splitter on the orange cables. Like you said, who knows which guy in what mood ran the cables that day.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #13

Vaughan,

I know that I have mentioned this is posts before but Brad is right, his had a splitter that had to be removed. Don't know if the difference was my '14 but the orange cable runs had no splitter. The splitter will kill your satellite signal and must be removed or bypassed.

On another note, I was reading on another forum, folks having issues with the Wally.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:41 PM   #14

On mine I only had to remove the splitter because I used that Satellite Jumper cable to feed the basement TV direct so I could install a Joey as a 3rd TV. Otherwise my main cables from the roof and convenience center didn't have any splitters.

What's wierd, is I used the Dish splitter to separate the signal from the roof to bedroom to go to both the bedroom and the basement, and the Dish splitter worked perfectly - no signal loss. I was able to put a Joey in the bedroom and another in the basement, so all 3 TVs could watch a separate channel.

I miss that system, but it did cost a bunch per month.