Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #1

Kitchen Plumbing

Might be a crazy question... I've have seen people talking about the Kitchen & Bathroom sink vents. Where are they? I have worked with the p-trap when we had Sticks n Bricks. This plumbing is a new animal.

We have a horrible "Rotten" egg smell. Reading threads we may have a water tank or vent issue. I hope this isn't a needle in a haystack hunt.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #2

The kitchen vent is behind the spice drawer & the bath will be up high behind the bathroom sink, both will at the top of the piping above a T from the sinks. My bath has a P trap, but the kitchen has the other thingy.
I some times get that smell from the anode rod in the water heater at different sites, I'm guessing from different water supplies. Since I've added the water softener it rarely happens anymore.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #3

I was going to ask, are you sure it's not your water source or hot water tank? My mom had that problem at a lake lot and not sure whatever came of it.
55 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:54 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Lisa replace the 2 vents Danny suggested. The ones redwood install are cheap junk. You can get them at Lowes HD etc. We had that issue on ours. Also if that does not work check your batteries. When they go bad and start to short out you will get the sulphur smell in your rig
Old 06-25-2018, 02:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 SS View Post
I was going to ask, are you sure it's not your water source or hot water tank? My mom had that problem at a lake lot and not sure whatever came of it.
We had the smell for the about a month and have moved campgrounds 3 times. We have cleaned the fresh water tank with the bleach mix that several suggested. No help. But it did clean the tank and helped us rule out possibilities.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Lisa replace the 2 vents Danny suggested. The ones redwood install are cheap junk. You can get them at Lowes HD etc. We had that issue on ours. Also if that does not work check your batteries. When they go bad and start to short out you will get the sulphur smell in your rig
Batteries are recently replaced. George is going to replace the filters this week. Also, we had read on this forum about cleaning out the lines with a bleach mix. We are also going to do that. (Fill the fresh water tank with the bleach/water, open the facets until water runs through. Let it sit in the lines overnight and then rinse it thoroughly.)

Old 06-25-2018, 02:58 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Lisa
In 4 years of fulltime, we left the 2 grey tank valves open only closing them to have water to flush the hose when dumping the black. We only used chemical in the black tank. Only smells we ever had was when the vents under the kitchen sink and bathroom sink went bad. Los when we first got it one of the cheap batteries that came with it went bad
I would check these first before flushing out water systems etc
Old 06-25-2018, 05:06 AM   #8
Site Team

I agree with Shane. I've replaced both of ours.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #9

After replacing the vent under the bathroom sink twice, I finally duct taped the vent closed and that eliminated the problem. I've been told that if there is a vent within 15 ft. of a sink you don't need an additional vent. Taping up the vent hasn't reduced the flow from the sink and the gray water tank vent to the roof is less than 15 ft. away from the bathroom sink.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:23 AM   #10

f you don't have a clothes washer, check the drain in the closet. We had a sewer smell that was coming from that pipe. If you are not using it, the trap will dry out and allow a direct vent to the tank. I took off the plug and poured water down the drain (which will eventually dry out) to fill the trap, then sealed the plug with plumbers compound and no more stink.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #11

Mineral oil poured into an unused trap will not evaporate, and is harmless whenever you may want to use the trap in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcountrybarry View Post
Mineral oil poured into an unused trap will not evaporate, and is harmless whenever you may want to use the trap in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
And that or vegetable oil is good for the seals on the holding tank valves.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #13

also replaced 2 kitchen sink strainers with all brass item from HD, cleaned slime from drain pipesunder both sinks stinky was yucky,

bath sink drain pipeing was slimed up too cleaned with some pine sol and scrubbed good also plug drain from washer too
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #14

We replaced the p-traps with a HEP-VO trap. We eliminated that smell. The tops of the vents that RV manufacturers put in are inherently fallibke. They stick open when they are only supposed to open to let air in.

The replacements solved this issue.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
We replaced the p-traps with a HEP-VO trap. We eliminated that smell. The tops of the vents that RV manufacturers put in are inherently fallibke. They stick open when they are only supposed to open to let air in.

The replacements solved this issue.
I assume you kept the air admittance valves that you say are inherently bad, but just replaced the P-traps with Hep-vo traps and that helped? Otherwise I'm confused as they are two different things
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote