Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfdray

Sorry - trying to handle more than one thought at a time. Our rig is a 36RL weighing according to the tag 13008 as delivered to the dealer, if my post wasn't clear.
We pull it with a SRW diesel F350.
That picture was made by my graphics department and isn't real.

I'll see my Trailer tomorrow and I'm really excited. I'll see after I get mine how my truck rides and handles the load. I did order the G rated tire and the washer/dryer as well as the generator. I'm expecting the pin weight to be around 3200. Depending on the weight of the trailer and how my truck handles it, I'll probably put bags on the truck or shop for a new truck.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #42

We love our Montana and put in quite a few upgrades, 2nd AC, Combo Washer/Dryer, Winegard Trav'ler SK3005, "G" Rated G614s, and the MorRyde IS w/Disc Brakes. We too hadn't planned on changing, but we saw the Redwoods while at the Fall Montana Rally and liked what we saw. This is our 1st full winter of Snow Birding and as time passes you find little things, the biggest being the lack of counter space. Only one person can work preparing meals so we fell in love with the Redwood's Island counter. Went over to the Tampa Show in Jan just to look at the Redwoods in more detail. Then started inquiring of dealers for pricing. We hadn't planned on the Full Body Paint, but Lazy Day's here in Florida came in low enough that we added the Paint and ended up about the same as some other Dealers wanted with out it. So it's due in towards the end of April, then we have to move everything from the Montana into the Redwood RL. So we'll have everything on the Redwood that we have on the Montana except the IS, which we'll wait and see how the Redwood rides, could be an upgrade in the future. But we did opt for the on-board Genny, probably won't get used alot, but it will be there is we want it without dragging the Hondas out of the back of the TV.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
Kris not to but in but we are switching from a Montana to a Redwood because of the quality of the Redwood. Don't get me wrong the Montana is a great rig and quite frankly we weren't even looking to trade but we went to an RV show and fell in love with the Redwood. We went on a trip this last winter and lost most all of our glass ware because we have a rear kitchen and the roads were terrible so the new floor plan will solve this issue.
Your right about the Montana's not being well insulated for winter use in the north country but the Redwood is even less capable at least in the tank area. I went to the factory and they only put a layer of the astro foil down under the tanks and nothing else.
When my 36FL arrives next week it will go into my shop for some upgrades.

Bryan, any input is greatly appreciated. Many changes coming my way and I would like to make a few good decisions regarding our "mobile" life anyway. I am also a little disappointed with some of the flaws in the Redwood, but right now I have to say the rig has been comfortable on our trip north. The wife can boil me with just the electric fireplace on cool evenings. And as I mentioned, it was going to be left in California or Utah anyway during the winter. The new Montana insulation upgrade packages are supposed to be pretty good (the High Country?) but then I am pretty close to back where I don't really want to be - travling with an overlong overweight trailer being pulled bya somewhat light rig. I am looking atone of the short Excels tomorrow - nicely put together -short enough for most state and fed parks and spontaneous side trips and lighter by far than our 36RL. The Excel claims 4 season capability with a -10 degree rating which is perfect for the kind of things we like to do in spring and fall. It might even have to double as a shepherd's quarters after next year so it has potential, butboth inside and out (though the furniture seems better) it is a little blah next to our Redwood. It is also a Winslow which has a rubber roof.
kfdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:

Sorry - trying to handle more than one thought at a time. Our rig is a 36RL weighing according to the tag 13008 as delivered to the dealer, if my post wasn't clear.
We pull it with a SRW diesel F350.
That picture was made by my graphics department and isn't real.

I'll see my Trailer tomorrow and I'm really excited. I'll see after I get mine how my truck rides and handles the load. I did order the G rated tire and the washer/dryer as well as the generator. I'm expecting the pin weight to be around 3200. Depending on the weight of the trailer and how my truck handles it, I'll probably put bags on the truck or shop for a new truck.

The 36RL follows my F350 pretty well. I have no problem passing the trucks in the mountains and the exhaust brakes are great. I don't like the E level tires and will do something about that before I order the gen and the washer dryer. I also don't like the bouncing over rough spots in the hiway and find that a bit disconcerting with the rig bouncing me about, but it handles pretty well all in all so far.
I got my air bags thrown in when I bought the F-350 as well as the towing package, which comes with the new Fords. That may or may not have been the best way to do it, especially since I had to add a second tank so the air compressor wouldn't work too hard when I was filling tires. The air bags are nice - all that weight and the rig is perfrectly level - but of course it does nothing for the pin weight on the rear tires - should have got the dualies, I guess.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #45

One more thing - good luck to Dave & Ginny on their new trailer. May it bringthem great joy and comfort.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #46

Kris I looked at the excel and they build a nice trailer but I found that they have lessened there quality buy using some of the tricks that other companies have used and that disappointed me greatly. They also use very little insulation in the tank area which I have found to be common in all of the manufacturers. They all seem to rely on the furnace to do all the heating in the coach and the underbelly and from my experience that may be fine in 30 degree weather but not in the teens or below and who uses the furnace only most of us use a space heater or some other form of more efficient heat source. I feel that when you see the Winslow which is excel's less expensive line like Redwoods Blackwood you might be dissatisfied. I have a hard time seeing the differences between the Winslow and the excel limited other than the roofs and paint.
I'm sorry you seem to be having issues with your Redwood but if you really look at all of them out there you will not find a better deal on a fifth wheel at this time. I feel you get more for your money with Redwood than any other brand out there.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #47

Thanks, Bryan, food for thought. I don't get how the manufacturers can call their product a four season coach and not heavily insulate tanks - we too love our electric fireplace and seldom run the gas furnace, so... Like I said, there are many nice features which is why I bought it in the first place. I have already fixed some of the problems that "developed" while it was sitting in storage and we were in Montana. I still don't get why I have to buy G or J load tires for a "luxury coach" or put on disc brakes or consider different suspension or find a new dealer because the one we bought it from had his franchise pulled or, etc., etc., etc. I realize this is endemic to the industry, but it is still very annoying. I'll figure it out. Thanks again for the input.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #48

Also, good luck and great joy to you as well, Bryan, with your new Redwood.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:

One more thing - good luck to Dave & Ginny on their new trailer. May it bringthem great joy and comfort.

Thanks kfdray...I'll let everybody know how it all works out
Old 04-11-2012, 04:08 AM   #50
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks, Bryan, food for thought. I don't get how the manufacturers can call their product a four season coach and not heavily insulate tanks - we too love our electric fireplace and seldom run the gas furnace, so... Like I said, there are many nice features which is why I bought it in the first place. I have already fixed some of the problems that "developed" while it was sitting in storage and we were in Montana. I still don't get why I have to buy G or J load tires for a "luxury coach" or put on disc brakes or consider different suspension or find a new dealer because the one we bought it from had his franchise pulled or, etc., etc., etc. I realize this is endemic to the industry, but it is still very annoying. I'll figure it out. Thanks again for the input.

I realize this won't help you........but at least your dealer got pulled from the Redwood. That shows that the company cares because I've seen other brands letting the dealers rape cutomers for years.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #51

And some still are.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #52

Quote:

Kris the RV industryis learning from the automotive industry people like to show off their cars so the manufacture builds a product good enough to get you to buy it and as soon as you get home the first thing most people do is to start adding after market products to personalize the car. The RV manufactures are starting to do the same thing. look at it like this most people will not need the G tiresbecause they do not travel enough to warrant having them, the disc breaks are a upgrade but it will soon become industry standard just asanti lock brakes did. The suspension is no different some people travel enough to warrant the upgraded suspension but most do not, soif the factory added all of this to there standard package the price would be increased and the sales would drop because most people would look at the competition without the better parts and see a lower price andultimately end up purchasing that unit.
its the same principle as with the dishwasher, washer/dryer, max fans and so on, if the manufacture installed all of this some people would not want it and go to a brand that did not have it, not to mention it is cheaper to install it than it is to remove it, because you can not sell the items for what you paid for them plus the price of removal.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote