Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #1

We just arrived in Fairbanks, Alaska in our new Redwood 39HH! We picked it up at the end of March in Atlanta, where Southern RV completed some of our modifications (including installing a Biker Bar for our motorcycle and that gorgeous pantry the other models have into our toy hauler/quilting studio "garage"), drove to AM Solar in Springfield, OR to have 900 watts of solar panels and a 2000 watt inverter installed, then headed north through British Columbia and Alberta to the start of the Alaska Highway. We were snowed in for a 24-hour forced boondock on the Alaska Highway during this week's late spring storm, but our stored solar energy and propane kept us toasty warm. We have some questions for other 39HH owners, though, and also anyone with an "arctic package" who has had issues with freezing slush impacting stabilizers and slides. Are there any heavy-duty-winter 39HH (or other model) users active on the forum?
Patrice and Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #2

I hope the trip went well.
I do not have the same unit as you do I have a 36 RL .
I do want to go to Alaska this year or next and I am asking for some info.
How are the road conditions. Are the roads rought all over or in just some areas.
How about diesel fuel is it easy to find or are there long areas of no fuel.
Did you find it hard on you're Rv.
Thank for any info you can give me.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #3

The Alaska roads are not as rough as the Alaska Highway roads! Be sure to get the 2013 Milepost publication for a mile-by-mile description of road conditions, fuel availability, campgrounds, points of interest, etc. This was our second RV trip up the Alaska Highway, and we came out last fall via the Cassiar Highway. We wouldn't do any of these routes without the Milepost. Very few campgrounds and other services in BC, AB, YT and AK are open now - most (including our RV park in Fairbanks) open Memorial Day if the sewers are thawed and close Labor Day unless it snows earlier. Some will be late opening this year because there is so much snow and the ground is still frozen deep. Yes, we had some issues from snow and ice; flat tire, cracked windshield, broken wire chase under slide, sluggish/frozen stabilizers and slides - that's why we posted looking for experiences of other winter RVing Redwood owners. Nothing irreparable, though, so don't drop your dream of coming to amazing Alaska!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #4

Hats off to you'll. I too will make this trip in the near future, but maybe not in the same season.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #5

Thanks, Buddy. If we didn't have to get back to Fairbanks to open the RV Park, we would have waited six more weeks to tackle the Alaska Highway. That said, last year we drove it four weeks earlier than this year and had better weather.