Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #1

is there a built in water pressure regulator?

Is there a water pressure regulator built in the the plumbing system on a Redwood? I'm researching if I can improve the water pressure in my 2013 36FB, we've been in it now for 2 years and pressure seems to steadily drop. I removed the larger water filter in favor of an easier access outside model a year ago. The back-flow preventor is clean and moves freely. I do see a filter just before the pump (haven't checked if it's clean yet) but I don't see a pressure regulator...
fishkayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:39 PM   #2

First off, NO there's not an onboard water regulator! The pressure will only be what's at the faucet.
#2, if you're using this type, throw it out, they "restrict" the flow to lower the pressure regardless of the pressure at the faucet.
thumbnail.jpeg
Get one similar to this, it's preset at 55 psi which if the park is that good no problem, if higher it will "regulate" it to 55 psi, but won't increase to more than the faucet.
a01-1117vp_23_100.jpg
Most place we've been either have very low pressure, 30 to 40 psi, or very high, 80 to 110 psi.
I also have 2 filters & a water softener in mine & have managed across the country.
If you want the same pressure ALWAYS then fill your water tank & use the pump, if I recall its set somewhere between 45-50 psi.
Replace the factory shower head with the Oxygenics head & it will feel like high pressure even when low.
Also check the aerators on all your faucets.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #3

Thanks Danny! I'm surprised a regulator isn't standard based on what I've read in terms of issues. Funny you'd mention to check the facet aerators... While the bathroom sink has always worked, I've replaced the kitchen's, soaked it in CLR and cleaned more often than I can count and still it's just a non-aerated stream.
fishkayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #4

I had to replace the entire kitchen faucet, the original never worked correctly & I finally got tired of messing with it, the replacement works much better.
I agree the regulator should be standard as well as a surge protector/ems, which if you don't have one, GEY ONE ASAP!
After typing that, I'd rather furnish my own regulator & surge protector so I get a good one & not the cheapest crap on the market.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #5

Why No onboard regulator

The reason for not having an onboard water pressure regulator is that without having one directly at the site faucet you risk rupturing the shore hose connection to your rig. So while adding a regulator in the rig would manage the pressure to your rig, the shore connection hose could see excessive pressure and burst. While it would not damage your rig plumbing it still results in no water and in my experience typically happens at the most inopportune time (middle of the night or when you are out for the day).
Old 09-03-2018, 09:18 PM   #6

Years ago, when we had a Pop-Up were in a Provincial Park and woke up in the morning in the middle of a small lake. Seems the pressure was high enough to burst our hose during the night.
Now I will not connect the RW without the adjustable pressure regulator at the faucet.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:05 AM   #7

We parked next to a couple with their 1st rv, they hooked the free dealer supplied hose to the faucet, added the free dealer supplied restrictor to the rv, both as instructed by their dealer, turned on the faucet, about an hour later the hose appeared to have swallowed a bowling ball, no idea why the cheapo dealer supplied hose didn't rupture, I loaned them a hose to finish the weekend & moved the restrictor to the faucet. Always put the regulator on the faucet!
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #8

read my mind exactly been there done that same setup that gauged pressure regulator is the only way to roll,

it has more volume and shower head works great too.

we had a hard freeze and had the plastic water heater bypass valve hose fitting leak tried to fix, tighten and retape but split threaded plastic valve open,

put in a swan all brass water heater bypass valve from winnie and a few new sharkbite all brass fittings where possible, plastic fittings is cheap and prone to leak

replaced faucets with delta and moen from lowes ,original aerators were plugged up , it has a big filter plumbed in, came back as calcium anode trash in hot water tank from previous owner ,flushed WH tank regularly and am water heater pro now with spare backup parts always, and tools

also smart surge protector on elect is a must after voltage issues and expensive failures too, worth every penny

karl b.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #9

We have a 2019 34rl 5th wheel. I've 60# water pressure coming into camper and really not a lot of pressure at any sink or shower. Any suggestions? I've tried removing filter and even a different hose. Camper is new.
Scott k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #10

Congratulations on your new Redwood. I would remove the Aerators on all the fixtures and then try to flow water. These aerators plug up with construction debris, foam pieces etc and really slow the flow. MIght need to take the Aerators apart besides rinsing them out before you put them back on. There should be NO built in regulator to restrict the pressure.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote