Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

My DW was reading a weekly rv newsletter and mentioned that Crossroads was recalling certain models of Redwood fifth wheels for hydraulic brake issues. I told her that Redwood was an independent division of Thor industries and a Crossroads product.

When I looked into the matter further I discovered this:
Summary:</span><br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-align: left; "></span>CROSSROADS RV IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 REDWOOD RECREATIONAL VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM AUGUST 26, 2011, THROUGH JANUARY 18, 2012, EQUIPPED WITH A HYDRAULIC TRAILER BRAKE PUMP. THE HYDRAULIC PUMP COULD FAIL AND RESULT IN A LOSS OF BRAKING IN THE TRAILER.</span>

Here's a link to the full text.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...amp;refurl=rss

Now I was lead to believe that Redwood was a new and separate company that Thor Industries owns. This makes it sound like our Redwoods are manufactured by Crossroads.
Anyone know for sure?
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #2

I do know that if you go to Crossroads you will find the link to Redwood there. And the CEO is for both Crossroads and Redwood. The warranty is also Crossroads. However, I understand that they are a separate division. They are most closely related to Crossroads than any other Thor product for sure. But Crossroads is a great company, so thats not a bad thing.

Marian

Old 03-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
My DW was reading a weekly rv newsletter and mentioned that Crossroads was recalling certain models of Redwood fifth wheels for hydraulic brake issues. I told her that Redwood was an independent division of Thor industries and a Crossroads product.

Summary:<BR style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; TEXT-ALIGN: left">CROSSROADS RV IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 REDWOOD RECREATIONAL VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM AUGUST 26, 2011, THROUGH JANUARY 18, 2012, EQUIPPED WITH A HYDRAULIC TRAILER BRAKE PUMP. THE HYDRAULIC PUMP COULD FAIL AND RESULT IN A LOSS OF BRAKING IN THE TRAILER.

Now I was lead to believe that Redwood was a new and separate company that Thor Industries owns. This makes it sound like our Redwoods are manufactured by Crossroads.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks for posting this recall information. Fortunately, it looks likethere are only six units involved in the recall. Our 36RL came off the assembly line around the end of August or early September. I had the Kodiak Disk Brakes installed, electric over hydraulic acuated.

I have always had the understanding based on the literature that I have seen that Redwood is a sub-division of Crossroads which is owned by Thor Industries.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #4

My understanding is that the Redwood was originally designed and built under Crossroads Roof, whether it was intended to remain there or not isn't clear. But at some point it was determined that it would be a stand alone product with its own stand alone manufacturing facility. Since the original units were built under the Crossroads banner, Crossroads had the initial warranty responsibility for those units. That responsility was eventually shifted to Redwood. And yes the CEO Of Redwood, Don Emahiser, was recently given the CEO title for both companies severally. Again with my opening caveat, this is my understanding. The information is out there in scraps and bits and pieces, a mélange so to speak. And as Forrest Gump once said, "and that's all I have to say about that".
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John317
My understanding is that the Redwood was originally designed and built under Crossroads Roof, whether it was intended to remain there or not isn't clear. But at some point it was determined that it would be a stand alone product with its own stand alone manufacturing facility. Since the original units were built under the Crossroads banner, Crossroads had the initial warranty responsibility for those units. That responsibility was eventually shifted to Redwood. And yes the CEO Of Redwood, Don Emahiser, was recently given the CEO title for both companies severally. Again with my opening caveat, this is my understanding. The information is out there in scraps and bits and pieces, a mélange so to speak. And as Forrest Gump once said, "and that's all I have to say about that".

I asked about this yesterday andYESRedwood is a Crossroads product because they did not want to have to deal with all of the departments such as accounting and warranter and so on when the parent company already has these systems in place, they said it makes it easier for them to produce their product.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson

Summary:<BR style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; TEXT-ALIGN: left">CROSSROADS RV IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 REDWOOD RECREATIONAL VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM AUGUST 26, 2011, THROUGH JANUARY 18, 2012, EQUIPPED WITH A HYDRAULIC TRAILER BRAKE PUMP. THE HYDRAULIC PUMP COULD FAIL AND RESULT IN A LOSS OF BRAKING IN THE TRAILER.

Anyone know for sure?

It looks like our RW 36RL is going to be one the units recalled for replacement of hydraulic brake pump. Our postal mail delivery tried to deliver a certified envelope from Crossroads today, but, were not home to take delivery. This is the only reason I can think of that we would be getting such a letter from Crossroads.

I will keep you posted as to what we have to do.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote