Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home
Thank you all for the truck info. My mind told me what you have mentioned. I will say however that the problem out there is that the salespeople say yeah you can pull it with a single wheel vehicle. You're right they must be slapped up side the head. Imagine traveling down the road at 65 plus and have to make a quick move�HOLD ON!!!!!!! After driving a big MH for years I have seen the best of the best out there. Some people have NOOOOOOO clue on how to enter traffic or even signaling in town. (A book soon to be written or even a reality show) ENUFFF. Thanks again folks!

Depending on the truck you're looking at the defference between a SRW and a dually is only about 1000lbs (F350 srw vs F350 drw) and a F450 is rated LESS than an F350 (cargo weight).The advantage of the F450 is bigger brakes and axles as well as more pulling power due to gearing.So even if you go with a DRW truck....you could easily be over weight and most are if they have tow beds. With dual wheel you do add some stabilityto the truck but they aren't fun when in the inside tire goes out and I've seen one tire take out the other. Then you're back to square 1 again because now you have 2 tires to replace or fix.

Keep your tires inflated and use your head. Ask yourself how much are you really going to be pulling your trailer. Most people unless they're full timers actually pull their trailers very little. If that's the case a SRW will work fine for you. But if you're going to pull a lot than get a dually but remember a dually is not the answer to all of the problems with pulling a trailer.

I need to correct some of this information A F450 can carry an additional 220 lbs over a drw F350 and the difference between a srw (short bed)and drw F350 is 910 lbs. Due to gearing the DRW can pull more weight.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #22

Air bags is one of the best things to have, if you tow.I would sugestion getting the air comp and air tank with the air bag system. so nice to adjust with and with out towing. no need to go to the gas station every time you need to add air.

Lillyputz
Old 04-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you all for the truck info. My mind told me what you have mentioned. I will say however that the problem out there is that the salespeople say yeah you can pull it with a single wheel vehicle. You're right they must be slapped up side the head. Imagine traveling down the road at 65 plus and have to make a quick move�HOLD ON!!!!!!! After driving a big MH for years I have seen the best of the best out there. Some people have NOOOOOOO clue on how to enter traffic or even signaling in town. (A book soon to be written or even a reality show) ENUFFF. Thanks again folks!
Â*
Depending on the truck you're looking at the defference between a SRW and a dually is only about 1000lbs (F350 srw vs F350 drw) and a F450 is rated LESS than an F350 (cargo weight).Â*The advantage of the F450 is bigger brakes and axles as well as more pulling power due to gearing.Â*So even if you go with a DRW truck....you could easily be over weight and most are if they have tow beds.Â* With dual wheel you do add some stabilityÂ*to the truck but they aren't fun when in the inside tire goes out and I've seen one tire take out the other.Â* Then you're back to square 1 again because now you have 2 tires to replace or fix.
Â*
Keep your tires inflated and use your head.Â*Â* Ask yourself how much are you really going to be pulling your trailer.Â* Most people unless they're full timers actually pull their trailers very little.Â* If that's the case a SRW will work fine for you.Â* But if you're going to pull a lot than get a dually but remember a dually is not the answer to all of the problems with pulling a trailer.

WOW!
Dave i would like to know who is giving you some of the stats on the 450vs the 350 because they need to read up a little on their shop manual, first off the 350's and the 450's use the same axles and brakes but the frame and gearing are different as well as an added leaf to the springs in the rear and 19.5 wheels and tires plus a heavier spring in the front otherwise they are the same truck.
Now for the tow bed comment most flat beds weigh as much or less than the pick up box as an example my pickup box weighs in at around 450#s and my al steel hauler body weighs 1200#s so adding the numbers I am not overweight but if I had this on a srw truck I would be overweight.
As for the part about a srw doing the job if you don't travel much, if your truck is overloaded it is overloaded whether you go an inch or across the country.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
Quote:
Quote:
Depending on the truck you're looking at the defference between a SRW and a dually is only about 1000lbs (F350 srw vs F350 drw) and a F450 is rated LESS than an F350 (cargo weight).The advantage of the F450 is bigger brakes and axles as well as more pulling power due to gearing.So even if you go with a DRW truck....you could easily be over weight and most are if they have tow beds. With dual wheel you do add some stabilityto the truck but they aren't fun when in the inside tire goes out and I've seen one tire take out the other. Then you're back to square 1 again because now you have 2 tires to replace or fix.

Keep your tires inflated and use your head. Ask yourself how much are you really going to be pulling your trailer. Most people unless they're full timers actually pull their trailers very little. If that's the case a SRW will work fine for you. But if you're going to pull a lot than get a dually but remember a dually is not the answer to all of the problems with pulling a trailer.

WOW!
Dave i would like to know who is giving you some of the stats on the 450vs the 350 because they need to read up a little on their shop manual, first off the 350's and the 450's use the same axles and brakes but the frame and gearing are different as well as an added leaf to the springs in the rear and 19.5 wheels and tires plus a heavier spring in the front otherwise they are the same truck.
Now for the tow bed comment most flat beds weigh as much or less than the pick up box as an example my pickup box weighs in at around 450#s and my al steel hauler body weighs 1200#s so adding the numbers I am not overweight but if I had this on a srw truck I would be overweight.
As for the part about a srw doing the job if you don't travel much, if your truck is overloaded it is overloaded whether you go an inch or across the country.

The weights I got off the Ford truck guide and the web backed it up. the comment about the the axles and brakes I got from the dealer which could be faulty because he was trying to sell me a F450 but I couldn't justify only adding 220 lbs of cargo weight and I didn't need the extra towing cap..
Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
One more thing I'd like to add to the post I had earlier....You never want a mushy feeling on your truck while towing. I don't care how many tires you put under the truck, a mushy feeling can cause major problems while turning and stopping. (I've seen this on both DRW and SRW trucks) This is where the added bags can help stabalize the weight and take away the body roll.

I see folks mentioning using air bags or air springs. I have consideredair springsas a possible add-on but so far, I am not sure that I really need them. The brands that I see advertised the most are Firestone Ride-Rite and Air Lift. Does any of you folks have any recommendations based on your experiences?

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #26

I have the Air Lift system and so far it has worked great for me.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #27

Just remember, your air bags can help level the rig out, BUT do not increase your load carrying capacity. So meany thing that because they added air bags they can now carry twice the weight WRONG.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771
Just remember, your air bags can help level the rig out, BUT do not increase your load carrying capacity. So meany thing that because they added air bags they can now carry twice the weight WRONG.

Howright you are.

Lillyputz
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy
I am just a little curious.............are there any other Redwood owners on the forum from Indiana?

I just thought I would do my annual check to see if there are any other Redwood owners on the RW forum from Indiana?

If there are any current orprospective Indiana owners and you are interested in seeing a Redwood without any salesman around (just a happy owner), send me a PM and we will arrange an "open coach showing".

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #30

Guy, you're such a good guy...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #31

Back to the air bag question, I installed Air Lift air bags on my Ford F250 diesel. I also installed the optional compressor with gauge and internal controls in the truck. I had them installed parallel in that each bag is open to the other bag as piped. One reason I wnet with Air Lift is the lifetime warranty. They really level the truck when the rig is attached and smooth out the bumps in the road when towing.It is true that they do not add rear axel weight capacity.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandon13399
Back to the air bag question, I installed Air Lift air bags on my Ford F250 diesel. I also installed the optional compressor with gauge and internal controls in the truck. I had them installed parallel in that each bag is open to the other bag as piped. One reason I wnet with Air Lift is the lifetime warranty. They really level the truck when the rig is attached and smooth out the bumps in the road when towing.It is true that they do not add rear axel weight capacity.
By adding air bags you're able to add strength to your springs but it does not help with the axles, tires or brakes. You'll get all kinds of theories about this, but in my opinion the tires are the weakest part of the truck. It's true that the axles are also rated at a certain weight capacity but I believe the F250 and the F350 have the same axles so you should be alright there.

Some states have stated that they're going to start weighing RVs because of recent crashes that they feel were caused by over weight RVs. If this happens they'll simply look at the stickers on the door pillars to determine the proper weight regardless of the upgrades in tires or suspension. There's also been conversation on this forum in regards to lawsuits should an unfortunate accident happen and a truck is proven heavier than what the manufacture recommended. In either of these scenarios the air bags wouldn't help.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #33

Thanks Dave. My tires are rated at 3650 lbs each for a total of 7300 lbs. I believe Ford would not put rims that are rated less than the tires, but one never knows. So far the weakest link appears to be the axel at 7000 lbs. Again this does not account for that sudden emergency like the one you encountered with the bull elk. I am going to get my rig weighed again both hooked up and then the tuck by itself. That should tell a lot about the weight on the rear axel.

Sorry for the weather tomorrow in Arizona....unusual winter storm. I will be on the second hole at the Accenture Match Play Tournament running Shot Link for the drives all day....go figure.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Dave. My tires are rated at 3650 lbs each for a total of 7300 lbs. I believe Ford would not put rims that are rated less than the tires, but one never knows. So far the weakest link appears to be the axel at 7000 lbs. Again this does not account for that sudden emergency like the one you encountered with the bull elk. I am going to get my rig weighed again both hooked up and then the tuck by itself. That should tell a lot about the weight on the rear axel.

Sorry for the weather tomorrow in Arizona....unusual winter storm. I will be on the second hole at the Accenture Match Play Tournament running Shot Link for the drives all day....go figure.
I'll be around til Friday. We're going to head to CA to meet up with a friend for a few days before heading back home. If you get a chance stop by.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:

You know I kind of like storms in the RV....it kind of gets romantic hearing the pitter patter on the roof
Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #36

Storms in the desert is kind of an oxymoran.....snow in the desert is even worse!! Safe travels to CA. We will have to catch-up later.