Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
Site Team

Important Slide Information

Here is some important slide information for the newer folks. If your trailer has been sitting either with the slides in or out for a period of time, the slide motors might need lubricated.

I was just reminded of this when I tried to put my slide out after the trailer had been sitting for the last 2 months in winter storage. The bedroom slide would only move about 2 inches and stopped. After several attempts I knew I had to lubricate the motor.

The motors are located on the side of the slide at the top which you can get to on the inside of the trailer with the slides in. If you pull the rubber seal back, you'll see the motor about as big around as a silver dollar and about 3 inches high. Look for a square hole (looks like a rubber plug should be here but mine never had one). I spray a electronic cleaner that can be found at any auto parts store or a silicone.

After doing this the motor will work fine. I believe a little rust builds up on the brushes of the motor from lack of use but I don't know for sure. I have helped a few Redwoods during my journeys around the country with this same issue

If you look at the Lippert web site they have a video on how to do this type of work from the out side with the slides out while standing on a ladder. Instead of the way that they show, I've replace all the trim nails on my inside trim with small cabinet screws so I can remove the trim and get to the motors.

None of this pertains to the newer cable driven slide.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #2

Dave,

How about a picture of what the inside view of the area looks like?

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #3

Dave is referring to the Schwintek slide out mechanisms used for our RW bed slides. Look at this video from Lippert regarding lubrication:

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Chris, this is the video I was referring to. However I have found another spot that seems to help the motor. There's a square opening toward the top of the motor that is about 1/8 tall and maybe 3/8 wide that I spray electrical cleaner/lubricant directly into. It might be, when when I do this the lubricant drips down to the areas he's referring to in the video.

One year after camping in a blizzard, I had to take a hair dryer to that motor to melt the ice that was around it.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:25 PM   #5

Dave, good to know. I don't plan on camping too much in the snow or freezing weather.

Chris
Old 02-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #6
Site Team

If you blow this picture up, you can see the hole I'm referring to
Old 02-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by r time soon View Post
Dave, good to know. I don't plan on camping too much in the snow or freezing weather.

Chris
That's true as far as the freezing goes but I've had to lubricate that motor in the summer too.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #8

Good to know. Thanks, Dave. The referred to video was helpful to understand how the Schwintek system works.

Kent & Mindy
Isabelle & Elliebelle Miniature Schnauzers
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:36 AM   #9
lwg

I'm hoping this fixes my slide problem. Ordered the lubricant online and just need the motivation to actually do it. Probably later this week...
Old 02-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
lwg

Update: I've had slide problems since about 5 months after taking ownership of our new Redwood. It was ordered for us so it did not sit on the lot. Have had rampant problems with the slide not fully closing everytime we move locations. Have had two dealers look at it and claim I'm not holding the button down long enough when retracting the slide (which is BS...).

Well I finally got around to lubricating the slide as the video shows and all my problems have magically gone away, instantly! It now closes tighter than ever and is much, much quieter when moving in and out. Can't believe that the dealership never mentioned this, nor Redwood when I initially called and told them about the problem.

My point it, put this on your list of "to do's" each and every season. I'll probably do it every 6 months since we live in ours and move about every month.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Update: I've had slide problems since about 5 months after taking ownership of our new Redwood. It was ordered for us so it did not sit on the lot. Have had rampant problems with the slide not fully closing everytime we move locations. Have had two dealers look at it and claim I'm not holding the button down long enough when retracting the slide (which is BS...).

Well I finally got around to lubricating the slide as the video shows and all my problems have magically gone away, instantly! It now closes tighter than ever and is much, much quieter when moving in and out. Can't believe that the dealership never mentioned this, nor Redwood when I initially called and told them about the problem.

My point it, put this on your list of "to do's" each and every season. I'll probably do it every 6 months since we live in ours and move about every month.
Glad it worked for you.....I had the same experience. I've had cases where one of the slide motors would only move a few inches and spraying the lube fixed the problem.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post

Glad to hear you resolved the slide issue. I had a similar issue with our bedroom slide about 9 months after we purchased (Sept 2011) our 2012 36RL around June 2012. We were getting ready to leave on a trip and I couldn't get the slide in. Each time I tried, the slide would stop farther out. A call to RW customer service and they suggested spraying the slide rails with CRC PowerLube with Teflon. I actually used DuPont Teflon dry lubricant and it immediately fixed the problem. I have yet to try getting into the motors. I need to study the Lippert videos to understand how to do that.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #13

Can't believe what I just read.......... NEVER had this issue with my Forest River Cardinal with 4 slides..........has me wondering if I'm going to have the same issues with my just ordered 39MB ??
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey View Post
Can't believe what I just read.......... NEVER had this issue with my Forest River Cardinal with 4 slides..........has me wondering if I'm going to have the same issues with my just ordered 39MB ??
Rosey, you new trailer will have a different system on it. The new units have cables instead of the gear system.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:10 PM   #15
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy
I need to study the Lippert videos to understand how to do that.
It's actually quite simple and I'm not sure you're actually lubing the motor, but more the rollers that the slide rides on when retracting. I could probably do a complete lube in about 5 minutes now that I've done it once. Might take you 20 or so minutes the first time. It's really pretty straightforward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey View Post
It might have something to do with the weight that's in the Redwood slide or their implementation of it. I wouldn't stress out too much as it's all pretty easily resolvable with a little maintenance. Just expect to have to lubricate them when you get the RV and you'll be in good shape.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:13 PM   #16

Thanks Dave ..... Makes me feel better ....
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:15 PM   #17

Pretty sure your Cardinal didn't have the Schwintek system for the bedroom slide out. I believe an 07 Cardinal had Lippert Hydraulic above floor slide. That didn't need lubrication. The Schwintek system is lighter weight but needed lubrication at least twice per year. Redwood has gone to a cable system now on the bed slides, probably from Norco. Which is a strong reliable system. You shouldn't have to worry about it.

Chris
Old 02-19-2015, 03:13 AM   #18
Dan

I was just at the RV show and noticed there were a lot of motor homes that use the Schwintek system and some have way bigger slides than our bedroom slides. Seems everyone is going that way, now Redwood is going back to cables???? may be its a cheaper system and they are trying to save money???

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:51 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I was just at the RV show and noticed there were a lot of motor homes that use the Schwintek system and some have way bigger slides than our bedroom slides. Seems everyone is going that way, now Redwood is going back to cables???? may be its a cheaper system and they are trying to save money???
I don't think so because even Mobile Suites is using the cable system. Although I have no idea how it works so I'm kind of hesitant about it.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #20
Site Team

When I toured Continental Coach they told me they use only a cable system for their smaller slides. He said they have found it more reliable than the as winter system. The adjustments for the ones they use are at the top of the slide on the inside. They had the trim mounted on Velcro and he popped one off and showed us the turnbuckle adjustment. Said they typically run the slides a few times at the plant and very seldom have to deal with them after that.

These are guys building high end fifth wheels that start over $200k where cost isn't really an issue.