Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 11:04 PM   #1

How Alpha Ply Sealant applied to original roof?

Does any one know how the Alpha Ply Sealant is originally applied to our Redwood roofs? I recently saw a U-tube video showing an alpha ply roof install and it looked like the installer used some sort of heated applicator or wide nozzle to apply the sealant around all the vents. The last time I applied sealant over the existing sealant it took forever to cover the area I wanted to cover because of the size bead you get with a normal caulk gun application. It would be nice to apply a 1 - 2 inch wide strip at once and seems to me it would be less chance for leaking in the future. Is there a special gun used by Redwood?
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:22 PM   #2

EternaBond comes in 6" works better that Dicor. If used together all the seams will be good for years.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Does any one know how the Alpha Ply Sealant is originally applied to our Redwood roofs? I recently saw a U-tube video showing an alpha ply roof install and it looked like the installer used some sort of heated applicator or wide nozzle to apply the sealant around all the vents. The last time I applied sealant over the existing sealant it took forever to cover the area I wanted to cover because of the size bead you get with a normal caulk gun application. It would be nice to apply a 1 - 2 inch wide strip at once and seems to me it would be less chance for leaking in the future. Is there a special gun used by Redwood?
Rick,

The RV manufacturers use the self leveling sealant that comes in 5 gallon buckets. It is dispensed using an air powered pump. It is pressurized through the hose and comes out the end when the trigger type valve/switch is pressed. Sure beats opening several tubes and squeezing the trigger hundreds of times to seal all roof penetrations. Just let it flow until the 5 gallon bucket is empty, change buckets and repeat.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by r time soon View Post
Rick,

The RV manufacturers use the self leveling sealant that comes in 5 gallon buckets. It is dispensed using an air powered pump. It is pressurized through the hose and comes out the end when the trigger type valve/switch is pressed. Sure beats opening several tubes and squeezing the trigger hundreds of times to seal all roof penetrations. Just let it flow until the 5 gallon bucket is empty, change buckets and repeat.

Chris
Is this something the average guy can use and obtain or is it
outrageously expensive? Where would you look for one of these applicators?
Old 02-25-2016, 12:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Is this something the average guy can use and obtain or is it
outrageously expensive? Where would you look for one of these applicators?

Can't remember the name on the pump. Expensive. For commercial use. For what little need we have touching up spots on our sized roofs, just use a few tubes of self leveling sealant when you need to. There are battery powered caulk guns and grease guns too. But for the price they are hard to justify also.

Chris
Old 02-25-2016, 01:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkidder View Post
EternaBond comes in 6" works better that Dicor. If used together all the seams will be good for years.
With the recent thread on roof issues, I have considered doing all the seams with eternabond. I've used it before, pretty incredible stuff.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:36 AM   #7

Quote:
With the recent thread on roof issues, I have considered doing all the seams with eternabond. I've used it before, pretty incredible stuff.
My father has a 1999 national RV class A that he placed EternaBond on all seams the roof has lost some color bit has never had a leak. He has not re-caulked any of the seams. He checks them regularly and has not a single problem. His coach just turned 232,000 miles. That is enough to make me a believer. After I saw the crap that I saw this winter on my own I am re-doing the caps and re-seal with Dicor and EternaBond
Old 02-25-2016, 01:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkidder View Post
My father has a 1999 national RV class A that he placed EternaBond on all seams the roof has lost some color bit has never had a leak. He has not re-caulked any of the seams. He checks them regularly and has not a single problem. His coach just turned 232,000 miles. That is enough to make me a believer. After I saw the crap that I saw this winter on my own I am re-doing the caps and re-seal with Dicor and EternaBond
The last fifth wheel I had, I found a leak in the front closet, couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from, sealed it with eternabond where the cap met the roof, no more leak. I went ahead and used eternabond along the rear cap as well. Also solved a leak around the fantastic vent in the living room. Sure was cheaper than a new roof and was a permanent fix. I was considering doing the same with theRedwood but was hoping I could get many years out of the original roof but now I question that. I'm thinking if air ever gets under the front and billows up than I've got bigger problems. Maybe eternabond now would prevent bigger problems later. I keep thinking if it is an original product used to seal the slideout roofs, then why not?
Old 02-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #9

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #10

Took a picture at work this morning of their pump for the self leveling seal. I don't even want to estimate what it costs to buy one, so like I said before just buy enough 10 oz tubes and caulk away the voids using a caulk gun. And with a shelf life of only 1 year, pretty sure you are not going to use 5 gallons in that amount of time.

Sorry about the clutter in the picture, the upstairs mezzanine is busy around the roof decking and rubber roof areas.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Self Leveling pump.jpg (85.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by r time soon View Post
Took a picture at work this morning of their pump for the self leveling seal. I don't even want to estimate what it costs to buy one, so like I said before just buy enough 10 oz tubes and caulk away the voids using a caulk gun. And with a shelf life of only 1 year, pretty sure you are not going to use 5 gallons in that amount of time.

Sorry about the clutter in the picture, the upstairs mezzanine is busy around the roof decking and rubber roof areas.

Chris

YEP.....my dentist uses something like that
Old 02-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #12

Wow Dave, you must have some pretty big cavities!
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote