Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #1

Unhappy Help to identify leak - hot water pressure valve?

Can someone help us with what this leak is (photo attached)? The park here in Houston was going to turn off the water last night because it was freezing so we filled our fresh water tank. Then this leak happened. We turned off water to the camper last night and then on again today and it happened again. Water heater pressure valve? Thanks!

Marcia & Jordan
2013 RE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0925.jpg (184.8 KB, 2 views)
WDSFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #2

That should be overflow to the fresh water tank.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
Traveling

Yep, good news, it's not a leak :-) Just the overflow to your freshwater tank. No worries.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:02 AM   #4

That's good... but why would it keep overflowing? Leaking all down the block!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
Traveling

Once engaged, sometimes it creates a siphon action and will empty a lot of water. Other owners have complained about this before. We haven't had this happen, I think they may have fixed the problem (probably shortened the hose or something). I know some people put a valve on the end of theirs. We might do that also.I can't really think what the actual purpose of it is... I am sure someone much smarter than me will help with that!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
Site Team

put a pex valve on the end of it and only close the valve after it start spilling out. If you're real flexable, reach down there and blow into it. This should stop the siphon.

don't like the idea of an open hose leading straight to my fresh water tank without some sort of filter to keep the bugs out.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
Traveling

Dave; can you share the REASON for the hose? I have never seen that before on other RV's, you just got a face full of water if you weren't paying attention... perhaps that is the reason?
Old 11-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #8

The red handle in the photo (see in the dark underneath.. BTW this loaded upside down) is where we were told the fresh water overflow was. We did have the syphoning problem already and they put a shut off valve on it there. It is closed and water is still coming out of that other tube. hmmm...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6326.jpg (88.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-15-2014, 01:00 AM   #9

Theresa & Todd,
For some reason, Redwood decided that two overflow hoses were necessary. Both are below the tank so when the tank is full, they will start to syphon as you state.

The purpose for the hose itself is to allow venting and overflow from overfilling the tank. Some closed systems (that fill from city water....not on the Redwood) can overfill the tank and cause damage to the tank and surroundings.

I solved the problem installing a pex valve on the one blue pipe. The one shown here, I routed to the vent on the back of the fill box. It is higher than the tank, thus allowing us to fill the tank completely for boon docking.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:20 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Dave; can you share the REASON for the hose? I have never seen that before on other RV's, you just got a face full of water if you weren't paying attention... perhaps that is the reason?
I think it has to do with the size of the water tank. It's so big with a lot of weight, while driving down the road there's a lot of sloshing. But to be honest I have no idea.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:46 AM   #11

The hose that is leaking in the photo looks to be with the hot & cold low-point drains and is most likely the fresh water vent line which is supposed to be connected to the rear of the screen located just above and between the fresh water fill valve and the city water connection. For some reason redwood runs this line to the wrong location.

Tha actual overflow line is blue pex and is generally located in the vicinity of the fresh water tank drain which is forward of the convenience center.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:09 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSFreedom View Post
The red handle in the photo (see in the dark underneath.. BTW this loaded upside down) is where we were told the fresh water overflow was. We did have the syphoning problem already and they put a shut off valve on it there. It is closed and water is still coming out of that other tube. hmmm...

I don't have that red handle on my RL
Old 11-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #13

Hmmm...neither do I.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #14

Thanks for these replies, everyone!

Here is the conundrum:
It doesn't do it when we are hooked to city water and fresh tank is empty (of course).
It doesn't do it when we are on fresh tank and the tank is full.
It DOES do it when the fresh tank is full and we are on city water.

That seems weird if city water and fresh tank are not connected in any way.

Thanks!
Marcia & Jordan
Old 11-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #15

There is your answer - it is the tank overflow direct off the top of the tank (at least on mine). Your check valve that prevents city water from pressurizing the tank is faulting. To test, close the 1/4 turn valve behind the wall down by the pump. If the water stops, it is the checkvalve.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #16

Marcia and Jordan, Both water sources are semi connected together. After the sources they supply water through the same lines. MY thought is an in-line check valve or the water pump is bad. The water pump has its own check valve built in. I could see if that failed water would flow back out the pump towards the draw line from the fresh water tank causing it to fill more. Might be your problem.
Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:06 AM   #17
Site Team

Brad - any idea where the ch ck valve is and what it looks like?
I'm thinking that might be part of my water pressure problem.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Brad - any idea where the ch ck valve is and what it looks like?
I'm thinking that might be part of my water pressure problem.
Vaughan, That very well could be. I wish I wasn't in drydock, because I'm having a hard time tracing hose in these pics I took, but I believe the check valve that prevents the water tank fill from city water is the plastic one here with the green arrow - almost looks like a vacuum break:

There are also two brass check valves that I believe support the water tank bypass shown here with green arrows, along with the plastic one again at the bottom arrow. The brass check valve plug and foul A LOT, so don't hesitate to replace them on your way to the other fixes. They are pretty cheap.

I need to pull my wall down in the spring again anyway to re-work the water filter mount. I should educate myself as to the water paths when I'm in there - but probably won't get to it for a few months. No incentive sitting here at 4 degrees.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #19
Traveling

What in the world would we do without Atom Ant?! Haha! I am saving this thread because I think this is about the 4th time I have heard about this problem, and I know what that means....
Old 11-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #20

I'm having the siphon effect too. If it ever gets warmer, I'm going to find the line and put a T at the highest point with a riser on top of the T. Since the water isn't under pressure, the water shouldn't run out of the top of the riser, so the suction will be broken from the air entering the T.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote