Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #1

Generator Under Frequency Message

I'm dry camping at Bear Lake state park right now and my generator just died. When I tried to restart it an "under frequency" message appeared on the control panel. The generator started anyway and, obviously, nothing would power up but I also couldn't shut off the generator via the control panel. I opened the cover on the generator and the red light on the manual start switch was flashing. I manually shut down the generator. Checked propane level and have plenty.

Any ideas?

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:32 AM   #2

Does the flashing light on the switch match the code for low frequency? Are you able to confirm low frequency with a meter? As you may know, low frequency corresponds to engine speed which is less than 3600 rpm. Propane tanks full? Just a few of the things to check. BTW, the flashing light code van be found towards the back of your operator's manual.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:00 AM   #3

Unfortunately I don't have a frequency meter and I left the manual at home. I'll search up the manual online. BUT even though I have plenty of propane, I switched tanks and after a two hour wait I fired it back up and it seems to operate normally. There quite a bit of ice on the tank and I think there just wasn't enough pressure to supply fuel.

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
Old 06-28-2017, 04:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddFlap View Post
Unfortunately I don't have a frequency meter and I left the manual at home. I'll search up the manual online. BUT even though I have plenty of propane, I switched tanks and after a two hour wait I fired it back up and it seems to operate normally. There quite a bit of ice on the tank and I think there just wasn't enough pressure to supply fuel.
My Fisher Pakyel dishwasher would not operate one day. After waiting for a few days for the FP technician he replaced all the electronics, motor/pump and heater with no luck. He left with a "will need to replace the dishwasher" comment. As an old retired EE I was curious as to the power coming in. On the "post" I was at 55 HZ, 120 VAC. On the gen, I was at 56 HZ. The tech wanted to stay on the gen as he stated "park power is not good stuff". He was correct - the park power was at 55 HZ. When he left I got out the Onan Gold 6.5 KW manual and found how to adjust the frequency. It was a very simple adjustment which, when I set it at 60 HZ on my digital voltmeter/AC/DC ammeter/frequency meter the dishwasher worked fine. The meter cost about $75 at Home Depot or Lowes (not sure which one). The DC clamp-on side of the meter is also handy for checking DC and AC amperage of motors/pumps and battery loading.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:45 AM   #5

So I "think" I figured out my problem. I ran the generator on street side tank and when that tank ran out of propane the switch over valve switched to the other tank but the other tank apparently has a bad valve and wouldn't let enough propane through to run the generator.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddFlap View Post
So I "think" I figured out my problem. I ran the generator on street side tank and when that tank ran out of propane the switch over valve switched to the other tank but the other tank apparently has a bad valve and wouldn't let enough propane through to run the generator.
Probably the small regulator on the curb side bottle (known problem) has messed up & not the bottle valve. BTW when opening the bottle valves slowly or the safety device could shut the flow down.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote