Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 05:20 AM   #1

Front cap problem

Is anybody having problems with there front cap? My son, and I recently washed our 2015 36RL and noticed the top part of the cap that gets the most son was ruff to the touch. It feels like maybe sun damage, although it doesn't look like it from the ground. We have been using a multi purpose wax we have been using for years. Any advise on how to remedy this problem would be appreciated. I've been looking at YouTube videos on how to buff sun damage out but am not sure on what to use as a buffing compound.

Ish
IshF281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #2

'm wondering if you have the full body paint or not.I can't remember exactly when Redwood went to full body paint only. If you do not have full body paint the front and rear caps have been issues for owners. They fade terribly over time and many have had them painted under warranty. That is the only way to correct the fading issue. If you have full body paint it sounds like a maybe a quality of paint issue. I have a non full body Redwood and my front cap has been painted.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #3

I do have full body paint. I'm wondering if it's the quality of wax I'm using, and a combination of that, and a build up of wax. I also park it under covered parking, but the cap sticks out and it's the only part that is exposed to the elements. I'm thinking of hiring a professional to use a fine compound and buff it out before it gets any worse. The find a good quality wax to finish the job. Thanks for the reply

Ish
Old 03-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshF281 View Post
I do have full body paint. I'm wondering if it's the quality of wax I'm using, and a combination of that, and a build up of wax. I also park it under covered parking, but the cap sticks out and it's the only part that is exposed to the elements. I'm thinking of hiring a professional to use a fine compound and buff it out before it gets any worse. The find a good quality wax to finish the job. Thanks for the reply

Ish
Are you sure that it was not that way from the factory? Sounds to me like it could be covered under the 2 year warranty. I would have a professional painter look at it and get his professional opinion. If it is a original paint issue I would then call Redwood for warranty repairs.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Is anybody having problems with there front cap? My son, and I recently washed our 2015 36RL and noticed the top part of the cap that gets the most son was ruff to the touch. It feels like maybe sun damage, although it doesn't look like it from the ground. We have been using a multi purpose wax we have been using for years. Any advise on how to remedy this problem would be appreciated. I've been looking at YouTube videos on how to buff sun damage out but am not sure on what to use as a buffing compound.

Ish

I would recommend that your report this to Redwood immediately to get the issue recorded in your warranty record and get recommendations from Redwood. Also get a professional to look at and get their written recommendations. Keep a record of all of your communications.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:57 PM   #6

Dave (& Ginny) had some checking on his nose cap a few years ago. I don't know what he did to resolve it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Mine was getting small spider web cracks but they didn't seem to change over time. My rig was 3 years old when I sold it.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice guys. Talked to a professional painter today and made arrangements for him to come out On Friday. He also ownes a detail shop and told me if Its what he thinks it is he could take care of the issue. He thinks it's a build up of wax and would require a degreaser to remove the old wax and then a buff with a good quality wax. He also advised me to contact Redwood and inform them of the problem. That's the plan for know. I'm sure it didn't come from the factory like this and it's really driving me up the wall. Thanks again I'll keep y'all posted.

Ish
Old 03-10-2016, 02:52 AM   #9

If you are near a boat shop you can buy a bottle of wax remover it's a wipe on wipe off stuff. I have used it in the past and works very well.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #10

My front cap spidered. It started lower right. It was hard to see unless the light was right. My dealer caught it. At first, Redwood denied the claim saying that I must have hit something. Then it started to spider upper right by the marker lights and then on the nose.

I had it checked out by a couple of body guys that had experience with fiberglass paint. Both said that the only way to tell the cause was to start sanding. It could have been the clear coat (least likely), the paint or fiberglass itself.

Bottom line is that Redwood replaced the cap and it has been fine since.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #11

I had to my RW31sl repainted it was fading bad.
poleclimber1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 PM   #12

I have an up date with my issue. Had a professional look at my front cap he told me it was a build up of old wax. It took him all of about an hr to strip the old wax, with a degrease then buffed in a good marine wax. It looks and feels like new I'm going to continue to use the Meguiars marine wax he used in the future. I want to thank all you guys for your advice.

Ish
Old 03-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #13

Meguiars makes some great products. I often use the three stage process to remove old wax and fine swirl marks on my truck. I also uses it in my RW Someone must have been using a low cost liquid wax on it.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #14

Quote:
I have an up date with my issue. Had a professional look at my front cap he told me it was a build up of old wax. It took him all of about an hr to strip the old wax, with a degrease then buffed in a good marine wax. It looks and feels like new I'm going to continue to use the Meguiars marine wax he used in the future. I want to thank all you guys for your advice.

Ish
Why would you use a marine wax on an automotive finish?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:06 AM   #15

Thanks GA1817 I will look into that 3stage Meguiars. To answer your question atom ant, it's what was recommend by the professionals and most videos I've seen on you tube. From what I gather it's the Fiberglass that sets them apart. So I think I'm going to give it a shot, the auto turtle wax I was using didn't farewell. I do believe the Meguiars is a marine, and RV WAX.

Ish
Old 03-15-2016, 05:30 AM   #16

OK.

I think Turtle Wax is junk in any form, but aside from that these full body paint RVs have $11,000 automotive paint finishes on them including clear coat over that, so I think your RV wax intended for fiberglass will do you no justice. Meguires makes awesome automotive paint wax as well.