Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #1

Flaking roof paint

Has anyone with a full body paint experienced flaking paint on the portion of roof that is painted? Our dealer discovered a couple of puncture holes in the roof and said it needs to be replaced. They want to replace the roof with a white one. They told us it is not worth painting because owners are complaining about the paint flaking. We have 2012 36rl with the black and tan full body paint and do not want a white roof.

Rick
northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #2

Our is a pretty new unit (less than a year) and have the same color full body paint. Haven't noticed any flaking yet (just checked). What are your concerns with the white roof? As the paint wraps around/above the top edge, the white roof is not noticeable.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #3

Checked everything out before it went into storage in October and no flaking paint. I agree with Ian, if the roof was replaced I would want the paint restored to factory standard.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #4

Our issue is they won't paint the edge of the roof. We want it restored to factory standard.
northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #5

If the dealer won't complete the painting, as you require, give the service centre a call. If still under warranty Redwood are paying and they normally restore to factory condition.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Have not noticed any paint flaking on our coach. I too would want it painted just like the factory job. They only paint it to where it wraps around to the top. The top is white.

Puncture holes in the roof?? Not sure I would want the whole roof replaced for two small puncture holes. Maybe sealer would be a better option????
Old 11-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #7

My thoughts too. Wouldn't want them replacing the entire roof material for several small holes, would be worried about causing more problems. Guess I would have to actually see what the Dealer was talking about before making a major decision like that.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:04 AM   #8

I wouldn't accept it without the side paint. I also agree replacing the roof for a couple of punctures is a bit excessive. Tell them to spend the money on paint rather than a roof.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #9

Ours is in for a roof change right now. One tiny hole caused the plywood to blister causing an 18 inch bump. All from one tiny pencil size hole. The plywood has to be replaced and the new new roof reapplied. They said they would paint it just like it was. We'll see next week. (We hope)
Note to all. The roof has a felt backing which makes it very sensitive to injury. Be careful. We have no idea how ours was damaged but it looled like a phillips screw driver tip. All our other coaches had rubber roofs, strong but they leached causing streaks. Redwood roofs don't. A trade off.
Will let you know how the black and tan works out.
(Our sides never peeled or showed any ware).