Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #1

RL owners, if you have a washer, beware.
Well we had our first major issue today on our 36RL. Showered then put in a load of laundry, had supper while the washer was running, no problem, right? Get ready to go over to the Ice Cream Social and notice water coming out of the front of the rig, around the pin box and also into the road side propane tank area. Check behind the washer, all dry as a bone. So we pull in the Bedroom slide so we can see up under the area from the steps, there we can see the gray flexable hose and one end is floating in mid-air. Pull out the drawer under the bed on the LR side and remove the panel under the drawer. The hose is suppose to slide in and out in this area under the drawer, but caught on something and pulled out of the solid pipe. Got it back together and tighten the jam nut by hand, but could still pull the hose out, put it back together again and dug out the trusty water pump pliers and tighten the jam nut on each end. Will have to contine to monitor and will notify Brian too and see if this has happened to others and if there's any possible fix or better way to route the hose.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

RL owners, if you have a washer, beware.
Well we had our first major issue today on our 36RL. Showered then put in a load of laundry, had supper while the washer was running, no problem, right? Get ready to go over to the Ice Cream Social and notice water coming out of the front of the rig, around the pin box and also into the road side propane tank area. Check behind the washer, all dry as a bone. So we pull in the Bedroom slide so we can see up under the area from the steps, there we can see the gray flexable hose and one end is floating in mid-air. Pull out the drawer under the bed on the LR side and remove the panel under the drawer. The hose is suppose to slide in and out in this area under the drawer, but caught on something and pulled out of the solid pipe. Got it back together and tighten the jam nut by hand, but could still pull the hose out, put it back together again and dug out the trusty water pump pliers and tighten the jam nut on each end. Will have to contine to monitor and will notify Brian too and see if this has happened to others and if there's any possible fix or better way to route the hose.
Sorry to hear about your problem. I'll check mine to be sure it doesn't happen to me as well. Thanks for the heads up
Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #3

This is not good news. I went back and forth on the 36RL vs. the 36FB. I really wanted the FB as I am not to excited about having the washer and dryer in the slide out. I would rather have it plumbed with fixed piping rather than flexible piping as described above. Unfortunately, the kingpin weight of the FB pushed me back into the RL model so that is what I ordered. I hope I do not experience this situation, but sure appreciate the heads up on it!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #4

Michelle,

I haven't looked at mine yet. Since it didn't flood your unit, I assume it was thedrain line?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #5

Yes it was the drain line and where it came apart the flexible drain line was right over the hole where the solid pipe came up through, so most of the water ended up on the ceiling panel of the basement and ran forward from there. It did dampen some of the carpet under the bed, so we're got 2 fans blowing on it now to dry it out. Got a response from Brian and will be having the Factory send me a new flexible hose and jam nuts because the current hose has several bad crimps where it got caught. I think when I install the new hose, I'll make a couple of mods to allow the hose to move in and out of it's compartment under the drawer a little easier. With the Bedroom slide in you can look up under the washer/dryer cabinet and see the hose, but the only way to reach it is by removing the underbed drawer and removing the panel under the drawer compartment.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 06-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #6

Try to post pictures of your mods to make it easier for others to make the same change in their 36RL.
Thanks
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #7

Rodger that, but it won't be until next week when we get back home and hopefully the new hose will be there waiting for me too. I'll try and do before and after.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Dan

Got to love this web site people helping people can't get any better than thatand everyone is sofriendly.

Thanks for the update Michelle, love to see the out come

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #9

OK, here's what it looks like under the bed with the drawer removed:

Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #10

Looking at your pictures I would say that they (factory) cut the hose alittle to short. When the sldie is all the way out it might not of been long enought to stay on the other side (bed side?) of the drawer track. and when you extended the slide it poped out from under the rail and then the next time you put the slide in it twisted it not allowing it to go under the rail causing it to kink. I would say this is one time that longer is better that away you know its going to stay under the rail. It also looks like there is plenty of room for a longer hose to move freely. Just a idea.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #11

Those are some great shots. Looks tough to maneuver. Can you remove the panel under the mattress temporarily so you can access the whole system from the top?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #12

Mike, You could, but that would entail removing the mattress, then their European Box Spring Setup, then finally removing the panel. I'm waiting on a new hose and may see if I can find a better way to attach it to the back pipe. Right now they're using jam nuts with a compression collar, but the ends on the hose are a soft compound which doesn't allow for a good grip. I'll run the slide in and out a few times before putting everything back together to make sure it looks good.
Edited by: mhs4771
Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #13

I think the factory cut a lot of things short.

Lillyputz
Old 06-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #14

As promised, here's the after pics (received a new hose from Redwood yesterday):

Really does look like the hose should be at least a foot longer to maintain a nice loop when the slide is pulled in.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #15

Michelle,

Thanks for the excellent follow-up on the hose issue. Those crystal clear pictures and captions are very helpful.

Questions, should everyone remove their 1x1 on the hose side while inspecting it? Also, other than the piece of paneling you added to help the hose slide, is anything else in the pictures added from your modifications? Lastly, are you planning to leave the panel under the drawer out permanently or did you reinstall?Edited by: 5th_Time

Old 06-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #16

For anyone else, I think I would wait and see what Redwood has to say, as I sent the before and after pics to Brian, who has sent them to Engineering. I would hope thatthey decide to increase the hose length and maybe decide to support the bottom piece of paneling with some other method than the 1x1 piece. As for that 1x1 piece, it's not the easiest to remove, I had to cut the far end, added an "L" bracket on the near side of the bottom panel to support it from digging into the carpet during slide movement. I did reinstall the piece that fits under the drawer, did want the hose snagging on the underside of the drawer. Because the jam nuts can not grip the soft end of the hose securely, I made a make-shift clamp using tywraps (cable ties) to help keep the hose into the ridge black pipe. This might be another place Engineering could look at and maybe find a better way to join the hose to the black pipe, like maybe a ribbed connection on the black pipe that the hose could be pressed onto and then clamped with hose clamps
Old 06-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #17

Well I hope that Redwood has a solution by tomorrow morning as my new 36RL is scheduled to be built tomorrow! Please keep us updated if a better solution is created by Redwood.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #18

Getting ready to go away for a month. Had the bedroom slide in and out at least 20 times since we picked up our 2013 38BR on late May... no issues with the hose so far. Checked the tightness of fittings and arrangement when I installed my replacement RCA unit last night.

Noticed the high temps are playing havoc with interior trim... molding on roof to wall joint on the common wall between bathroom and main entrance door is coming off. will use "No More Nails" adhesive to re- attach.

Will keep fingers crossed while away in Nova Scotia next month...