Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
Site Team

EMS System advice ....

Well ........ my faithful Southwire EMS has taken a fatal hit from a surge. Did it's job and save th coach from any harm but has passed away.

Need to replace it ASAP but would like to hear from others if there is any advantage to one brand over another. I've heard nothing but good things about the Progressive EMS but I also can't complain about the Southwire.

All comments welcome, want to order the new one tomorrow. Btw, the EMS side is still working and monitoring voltages and according to Southwire will still shut down the coach in case of under or over voltage or a miiswired pedestal, just the sacrificial Surge things are blown and did their job.

Thanks guys !!
Old 06-26-2019, 03:31 PM   #2

Vaughan, don't think there is alot of difference between the two top brands anymore, believe both now offer Life Time warranties and both have remote displays which I love. So I guess, take you pick as which one you can get the quickest.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #3

Vaughan, I know Progressive has a cult like following, but I have had both and prefer the Southwire (or Surge Guard). I believe the Southwire product line is more refined and advanced than Progressive, and Customer Service has been better to me. I wouldn't give two spits for the service I got from Progressive in the past.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

I had one of the Original Surge Guards and it was out of adjustment, and wanted to see if I could get it checked, BUT at that time they only had a 90 day warranty so I switched to the Progressive. Now lots have changed and both have a Life Time warranty, so it's a flip of the coin which to buy.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 07-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Vaughan, don't think there is alot of difference between the two top brands anymore, believe both now offer Life Time warranties and both have remote displays which I love. So I guess, take you pick as which one you can get the quickest.
Actually, I done a bunch of bench testing of every brand and model of EMS/Intelligent surge protectors on the market, and there’s some differences in protection level. The Southwire/Surge-Guard units now have load-side open neutral protection on their 50-amp units. It’s patent pending and works great to allow a portable surge protector to protect your RV from open-neutral voltage swings even inside of your RV. I’m Mike Sokol from RVelectricity and RVtravel so I spend a lot of time testing these products.
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #6

Mike, thanks for the update. I'm not up on the new Surge since it's now under Southwire. I had one of the older Portable Surge Guards 6 or 7 years ago and it didn't begin to protect much and only came with a ninety day warranty.