Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #81

What I've done when I suspect the surge guard (mine is a portable) is shutting me down is that I get my volt meter out then disconnect the surge guard and plug the trailer back in to the power plug. I then measure the voltage at an outlet inside the trailer after turning on an appliance that draws some power (water heater for example), if the voltage is around 100 to 102 then it's a power problem. I then run down possible causes (power cord going to the trailer then the supply itself). Change either or both to see if that solves the problem. Not sure if you have the option to bypass a hard wired surge guard or not. It goes without saying that you shouldn't run an appliance that is voltage sensitive during your testing (A/C for example).
Old 06-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #82

If you suspect voltage problems I would NOT plug my coach in without the surge protector until 100% certain it's not the parks problem. Most of the pr9blems I've ever had was due to bad wires or plugs at the pedestal.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #83
Site Team

+1 with Danny. That's what I bought the Progressive for. It's saved the coach twice so far.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
+1 with Danny. That's what I bought the Progressive for. It's saved the coach twice so far.
Problem is that if you leave the surge guard in-place you won't easily be able to determine if you have a low voltage problem at the source, as the guard will shut the power down before you get to measure the voltage under load. Another possibility (more difficult) is to put a load onto the power source and measure the voltage to see if it's below the threshold. If you have a display on a portable surge guard or the hard wired one you should also be able to read the voltage to see if it's close to the low voltage limit. My older surge guard just has indicator lights.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #85
Site Team

I have a brand new surge guard monitor with LED display that is still in the original package if someone wants a deal on one.

I had bought it for my Redwood a few years ago but after I got it home I realized that the surge guard that I had hardwired into the trailer was missing the plug to plug this unit into. I paid $125 for it but they're on sale now at camping world for $104.50 I'll sell it for $75 plus shipping
Old 08-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #86

I just use individual surge protectors on all my inside electrical devices that are not protected by GFI plugs. Most of them are surge protected power bars . I have them behind tvs & between lazyboys for pluging in your devices that need charging plus separate ones on microwave,washer & dryer. You can buy them pretty cheap under $20CAN. Far cry from $400.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
I just use individual surge protectors on all my inside electrical devices that are not protected by GFI plugs. Most of them are surge protected power bars . I have them behind tvs & between lazyboys for pluging in your devices that need charging plus separate ones on microwave,washer & dryer. You can buy them pretty cheap under $20CAN. Far cry from $400.
What about your A/C?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #88

Plus those won't help with under voltage or open grounds or neutral
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #89

I have to pass this on! I have a Progressive Industries Unit like most folks on this thread do. That $400.00 was money well spent.

About 2 weeks ago, we had a major electrical storm here and a Large bolt of lightning struck in my back yard. It created a ground surge that not only kicked out my 60 amp breaker in the main bus, but blew and I mean blew the back off the back of the surge protector and tripped the 50 Amp breaker in the RV shed. Some kind of powerful bolt of lightning.

I spoke with my electrician who came to inspect the breaker boxes and said that if that surge protector wasn't plugged in, I would have probably toasted allot of electronics in the RV. It saved the RV, NO Doubt!

I in turn sent the damaged unit back to progressive and they promptly repaired it and sent it back. They have a Life Time Warranty and the best in the industry.

To anyone who thinks they don't need one of these surge protectors, you better think again. It is the best $400.00 you will ever spend.
JT & BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #90

You can buy a less expensive Progressive Surge Protector (NEW) they just came out with it. Around $150.00 on Amazon.
JT & BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #91

Quote:
I wasn't aware that GFI's did anything except protect you from stray voltage caused by voltage leakage in appliances. I had a GFI shut down the power when a water leak into an outlet in the basement moved some voltage across from black to white, not enough amps to trip the breaker.

I had an interesting incident (probably caused by a "brain fart") on our recent trip. I have both 50 amp and 30 amp portable surge guards (the 30 amp one is a relic from an older trailer). We had been moving from 50 amp to 30 amp parks and I plugged in the 30 surge guard at the park. Next morning (before the first coffee!) I cranked the water heater, coffee maker, fireplace and then I put a breakfast sandwich in the microwave. Obviously I was over 30 amps and the power shut off, I said S**T, I've blown the park circuit breaker, I went wandering only to find it was behind a locked electrical panel. Came back to the RW prepared to go without breakfast until the park owner woke up, but I found the power back on.

The 30 amp guard had shut the power down (either on amps but probably on low voltage) and restored it a couple of minutes later when I returned with less amp draw as the microwave and fireplace shut down, the park breaker didn't trip!

I said "thank you" to the surge guard. This was the same park that had a lightning strike kill some of their electronics earlier in the season.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #92

We tripped a circuit a small part of the kitchen has no power. Checked all gfi but could use advice
Patty Cordato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Cordato View Post
We tripped a circuit a small part of the kitchen has no power. Checked all gfi but could use advice
Patty...welcome to the Forum. For futurer posts it will help immensely if you complete your "signature". Having info about the age and model of your Redwood will help folks help you.

Your GFI outlets usually run in a series. Go upstream or downstream to the bathroom where there is usually another GFI receptacle. Good chance that that one has trijpped as well.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Patty...welcome to the Forum. For futurer posts it will help immensely if you complete your "signature". Having info about the age and model of your Redwood will help folks help you.

Your GFI outlets usually run in a series. Go upstream or downstream to the bathroom where there is usually another GFI receptacle. Good chance that that one has trijpped as well.
What actually "tripped"? Was it one of the 120 VAC circuit breakers in the circuit breaker/fuse panel or was it a GFI outlet, equipped with Test and Reset buttons? There are "Protected" outlets which are fed (in series)from a GFI outlet with the two buttons.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #95

Has anyone installed a hard wired Progressive in a 31SL? It looks like the primary input wiring and distribution is behind the basement wall. If so, where did you mount your remote monitor?
shrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #96

Obviously we don't have a 31SL, but mounted the unit in the front compartment and routed the signal cable to the cabinet where the slide switches, water heater, water pump and awning switches are. That's where I mounted our display readout and with our park power problems here in AZ it has been indispensable for working around our line 2 low voltage problems.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #97

i had that occur low voltage error , went and bought a fresh breaker @ HD for the park installed that day it been good ever since 8 bucks

karl
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Cordato View Post
We need more info to effectively help you. What part of the kitchen 'tripped'? Was it in the pantry and next to the fridge? is it the island? What year and model? The more info you can provide, the more we can help.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:48 AM   #99

Quote:
FYI
GFI means Ground Fault Interrupter- it does is protect you and your equipment should there be any kind of short. No matter how small. Humidity can set it off. Example fill the sink and drop the toaster in it and you will feel nothing. As long as the unit is working correctly.
Very often they can become defective as they air on the side of working. So you might have to change it.
Surge Protectors- What they do is protect your electronic items from the constant peaks that you receive from the shore power and especially a gen set. It is like a wood pecker constantly going at your equipment. So having your items plugged into a GFI will not protect it from surges.
what you actually need is a shore shurge on your line and then smaller units on each plug. Surges need to be controlled in a cascading way. Large to small Known as Jules.
Also a $20 surge is not worth even buying in my opinion. You need to go to a local Electrical Distributor and get something like a Leviton / Hubbell or Ditek (out of Florida) unit. And they will cost you about $50 to $100 for some thing decent.
One more thing ALL breakers and GFIs need to be exercised. Turn them on and off at least every 6 months. Or they can seize on.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote