Old 11-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #1

Door Problems Again!

I'm about to have my second door replaced on my 2015 39 MB. The hinges are coming off. The door seems warped and won't close properly. When we finally get the door shut, there's about a half inch opening all along the top of the door.

Dealer believes this door can, again, be replaced via warranty. My concern is that Redwood seems to be fixing the symptom and not the root cause of the problem. I don't know what the root cause is, unless it's the hinges or the type of metal used in the door that allows it to warp.

I hate the thought of being in this same situation 2 years down the road where for the life of the RV, we need to plan on replacing the door every two years.

Dealer tells me that Redwood has replaced an awful lot of doors, but doesn't seem to have a solution for the what's causing the problem to begin with.

Any ideas or other experiences anyone has to share? I'm now getting a name and phone number for Redwood customer service to see if a customer can get some feedback that would make me more comfortable with Redwood as a manufacturer.
2015 Redwood RV (39MB)
GCAKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:31 PM   #2

When I ordered my 2017, I requested that it not be built with the friction hinges. There was a new one on the lot that was almost impossible to close. I knew that it would get damaged just the way you had to slam it shut with a great deal of force. I have a friend with a 2018 Bighorn and it is the same way...

My 2017 has regular hinges and closes with the touch of a finger and has the old style retainer to hold it open mounted on the coach.

I am not sure if that was a production change, or if they listened to my request on the build. My opinion is that the friction hinge is the problem behind the door issue. YMMV
Old 11-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #3

A year after our purchase RW had to replace both our doors. We do have the friction hinge that I hate but since replaced have had no problems. Ours was not falling apart but it was because of very poor workmanship on not installing straight.

Service center did a fantastic job on the replacement and matching all the paint.

Steve

2014 Redwood 36FL and 2015 GMC Denali 3500 DW Duramax
Char & Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #4

We had our door changed and as soon as they were done you could see the friction hinges pulling it apart. We got the hinges changed to the non-friction at the service center a couple months later and have not had any issues. That was over 2 years ago.

Rick
Old 11-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #5

Here's some pictures of the door and hinges. You may need to click on the image to get it upright.
IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg
2015 Redwood RV (39MB)
GCAKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #6

My door would bind on the fold down steps. It would bind so badly that it would distort the hinges. The Redwood techs fixed it at the rally. Now the door closes easily with 1 gentle finger push.

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
When I ordered my 2017, I requested that it not be built with the friction hinges. There was a new one on the lot that was almost impossible to close. I knew that it would get damaged just the way you had to slam it shut with a great deal of force. I have a friend with a 2018 Bighorn and it is the same way...

My 2017 has regular hinges and closes with the touch of a finger and has the old style retainer to hold it open mounted on the coach.

I am not sure if that was a production change, or if they listened to my request on the build. My opinion is that the friction hinge is the problem behind the door issue. YMMV
We have a 2017 and are in route to the dealer to get the door “fixed”. We too have to slam it to get it to close. I hate it. Wondering if we need to just get regular hinges and a door stopper. ???
Barnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:56 AM   #8

We had ours replaced about two tears ago. Have not had any issues since change out newer friction hinges are not as strong as the original. I check often I was told that if it failed again it would be covered. Not that I trust RW to keep there word.

2015 RL38
2018 FORD F350 SRW
RWJSIM2003 is online now   Reply With Quote