Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #1

Delivered to ExploreUSA Service Center

I am finally seeing some problems in my Redwood. I had to limp back from Disney and delivered it to the service center this morning.

1. A Hydraulic line was punctured, it was between a sharp screw and the reservoir tank
2. Fixed one leak on the ice make water line then more showed up

3. Many wires melted in the junction box where the trailer cable connects into.

4. Entry door slide out of adjustment

5. Induction cook top can't boil water

Hope this will be the first and last trip to the service center
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
I think we'll all hope for the best.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
I am finally seeing some problems in my Redwood. I had to limp back from Disney and delivered it to the service center this morning.

1. A Hydraulic line was punctured, it was between a sharp screw and the reservoir tank
2. Fixed one leak on the ice make water line then more showed up

3. Many wires melted in the junction box where the trailer cable connects into.

4. Entry door slide out of adjustment

5. Induction cook top can't boil water

Hopefully they will get you fixed up soon. Sorry to hear about the troubles.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:52 PM   #4

Sorry to hear about your problems but hope you had a good trip otherwise. I've not been having a great experience with one of their service centers. I'm guessing you are using their Ft Worth location so maybe you will be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Hopefully they will get you fixed up soon. Sorry to hear about the troubles.
In reality, I was happy to take it in. This will give me 6 weeks to fix my back yard. With all the rain we have been getting my back yard is a mud pit. Without the problems in my yard, I would probably have preferred to fix most of the items myself.

I am also adding a dish washer and getting a bigger gas tank for the DRW. Thus solving my two biggest problems. Should all be done leaving and spending my summer in Wisconsin.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems but hope you had a good trip otherwise. I've not been having a great experience with one of their service centers. I'm guessing you are using their Ft Worth location so maybe you will be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have heard the same and will report my results. I did take it to the Fort Worth location. I'll give them a chance as they did well by me in the initial sale.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

Hopefully they will get it all done quickly. Most of us on here have disconnected the ice maker. Seems to be a issue that most of us have had to deal with and rather than have the leak I just turned it off and buy ice.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
Hopefully they will get it all done quickly. Most of us on here have disconnected the ice maker. Seems to be a issue that most of us have had to deal with and rather than have the leak I just turned it off and buy ice.
FWIW I had the same issue with my previous Motor Home. It is not just a Redwood issue. +1 on just buying ice and loading the tray...
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
FWIW I had the same issue with my previous Motor Home. It is not just a Redwood issue. +1 on just buying ice and loading the tray...
Do you have the norcold. Our Samsung has not had a problem with the lice maker line yet. In fact the thing makes to much ice
Old 03-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Do you have the norcold. Our Samsung has not had a problem with the lice maker line yet. In fact the thing makes to much ice
Shane, I don't think it is the brand that is causing the problem, it's the plastic line that runs under the island out to the slide. While I was adjusting my slide the other day I noticed that my icemaker line was crimped under the slide. I turned off the water line to the refrigerator shortly after I bought it because people were having problems with it. If I were to use it I would definitely replace that plastic line with a stainless mesh flex line like I remember someone else on this forum has done. Keep an eye on that line where it flexes when the slide is operated.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Shane, I don't think it is the brand that is causing the problem, it's the plastic line that runs under the island out to the slide. While I was adjusting my slide the other day I noticed that my icemaker line was crimped under the slide. I turned off the water line to the refrigerator shortly after I bought it because people were having problems with it. If I were to use it I would definitely replace that plastic line with a stainless mesh flex line like I remember someone else on this forum has done. Keep an eye on that line where it flexes when the slide is operated.

The first leak was under the sink where the tube was hitting needle like staples. I fixed that. The second leak was in the slide out where it was kinked. It is a Samsung or maybe a Ge but it is not a Norcold. They also use the harder white plastic tubing instead of the more flexible clear plastic tubing.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #12

Water line to Frig. - Yep I found a 20' stainless steel braided line at Lowes, Purchased it a few months ago and was not about to ask the factory to install it for me during my recent warranty service visit. They just replaced the same with the same due to a kink in the underbelly.. So one day I will replaced it with the one I purchased...
Good luck on all your upcoming repairs... My dealer is the same one, but in San Antonio TX - and they wanted my unit for 2 months for my repair list, that's why I ended up at the factory for 3 days..
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:30 PM   #13

The fort worth store is the better of the 3 or 4 ExploderUSAs in the area...
but they do have a sign in the service check in area...
"If you bring your rv in today, it will be (hand written date) before we can look at it...

last time I was there it was 7 weeks out...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:55 PM   #14

I had a leak under the sink the first week we had the RW. I fixed the line then turned off the Ice maker after reading that lots of them had failed and we don't use that much ice anyway. not worth the problem IMO. We have the Samsung but I do like the braided hose option for a good fix will have to look into that.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:39 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
That's why I said yet. I may just be lucky so far
Old 03-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Yes it was a Norcold. Other than the dripping line, I loved that fridge!

One of the issues is the valve has plastic threads where the hose connects. if it gets tightened enough to stop dripping, you can strip those delicate threads and have to replace an expensive valve...

Don't ask.

Larry
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #17

New to do item for list: upgrade to a braided ice maker stainless line and the size of the brass fittings is? 3/8 compression fittings ? probally a pretty good project under camper to tie line up to prevent pinching taking lower panels apart to get in there.
this is a project for my shop at home

icemaker is off anyway had enough water leak problems for a while

20' line from lowes will look next time im there

will be under sink soon replacing kichen faucet

karl b.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:22 AM   #18

Faucet is 3/8" compression fittings. The icemaker line is 1/4" compression fittings. Lowe's has the braided stainless steel line with the fittings already installed...just remove the plastic line, and install the ready-made stainless. The icemaker line is located in the Plumbing Repair section at Lowe's...costs about $20 but you won't have to worry about the water line failing.

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:09 AM   #19

How is the water taste. I just read the reviews on the 20 ft. stainless braided ice maker hose from Lows. everyone's review said the water taste bad and smells. For those of you that have installed it can you give me your review? I was wanting to change out my plastic hose with a better one.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156 View Post
How is the water taste. I just read the reviews on the 20 ft. stainless braided ice maker hose from Lows. everyone's review said the water taste bad and smells. For those of you that have installed it can you give me your review? I was wanting to change out my plastic hose with a better one.
Water will not have any taste, It is make for ice maker type of installations... But I have not installed mine yet, only been home 2 weeks from my factory service visit - and since I still have a day job, it has been crazy.
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote