Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Site Team

Today it got pretty hot here in Illinois and when I walked up to my trailer I notices a bubble about the 4 inches long in the side wall. This bubble is in the upper section of the trailer on the door side just below the right corner of the window. It's really hard to see because of the full body paint but it's definitely there. Ive' looked all over the trailer and that's the only one I see, I'm sure they'll have to put a whole new side on the trailer which means they'll have it a while

Has anybody else had this problem?

Old 05-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #2

Dave they won't have to put a new wall on the trailer to repair that spot. They will send it to a body shop and grind out the bubble and repair it before painting.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #3

Sorry to hear of your problem. We haven't experienced the same thing; however, believe they can sand it down , put some bondo in it, resand and paint it. You'll never having know the difference. Again,sorry to this happened.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Site Team

But.....does this point to a bigger problem with their method of production? This spot wasn't there last month when I got the trailer. The warranty is good for 2 years....then what?

And I'm not too crazy about them cutting a bad spot out and putting body filler in it's place on a brand new trailer.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

You may not like it but that is all they have to do to fix it. Plus you don't want them to disassemble your trailer because it will never be the same after that.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

Dave, I'm sorry to hear of your problem. I agree with Bryan. You don't want the "cure" to be worse than the "disease".
Knowing you, I'm sure that you will have it looking great again in the shortest possible time. Keep us posted as to how Redwoodhandles such a serious issue.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #7

I can only image how frustrated you are....nothing like having a brand new coach and having the thought of someone grinding and sanding on that branch new paint job. I hope the problem remains small and the outcome exceeds your expectations.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #8

Dave, aren't you fairly close to the factory? Maybe they'll agree to have their paint shop repair it if you agree to drop it there. That would be my choice.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #9

Dave, first off I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I know how discouraged you must be feeling.
We had to have both sides of our last travel trailer replaced by the Forest River (Rockwood) factory and they did a fabulous job. I went over every inch of the trailer, inside and out and was more than satisfied with the quality of their workmanship. There were some other Forest River owners on that forum that had delamination problems and the factory replaced the entire side of their trailer as well and they too were happy with the quality of the workmanship.
I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be surprised if Redwood will want to replace the whole side of your trailer and too not worry about a less than quality repair if they do.
Take pictures of the delamination and send them to Brian Emmons. I'm sure he'll make sure you're taken care of. You may even want to postpone the repair until the fall so you're camping season isn't interrupted. That's what we did.

Edited by: TravelinAnderson
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
Dave, first off I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I know how discouraged you must be feeling.
We had to have both sides of our last travel trailer replaced by the Forest River (Rockwood) factory and they did a fabulous job. I went over every inch of the trailer, inside and out and was more than satisfied with the quality of their workmanship. There were some other Forest River owners on that forum that had delamination problems and the factory replaced the entire side of their trailer as well and they too were happy with the quality of the workmanship.
I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be surprised if Redwood will want to replace the whole side of your trailer and too not worry about a less than quality repair if they do.
Take pictures of the delamination and send them to Brian Emmons. I'm sure he'll make sure you're taken care of. You may even want to postpone the repair until the fall so you're camping season isn't interrupted. That's what we did.

Thanks Steve for the encouragement,

I wouldn't have a problem taking it back to the company this late fall after we get back from our trip to Maine. I would prefer for them to replace the whole side because I want to make sure this is done right. Just as with my "stick and brick" house, I like things done right even if it's more work. I don't want to simply put a band-aid on this trailer and call it good. If the trailer was 7 or 8 years old, it would be a different story. After only being built at the end of March....this is a big red flag to craftsmanship or the building process.

I emailed Brian yesterday and I know they don't work weekends, so I hope to hear from him on Monday. I still have complete faith in the company because of how they have dealt with problems in the past. I think I've sold a few of these trailers so far and I'll continue being a cheer leader for Redwood even though I'm a bit old and ugly.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time

Dave, aren't you fairly close to the factory? Maybe they'll agree to have their paint shop repair it if you agree to drop it there. That would be my choice.
Yes I'm about 5 hours from the factory and I agree, nobody is going to fix this other than the factory. Otherwise, I'm afraid it would bite me twice.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #12

Redwood probably gets their panels from a supplier, much like other RV manufactures do. The thing that concerns me is how many panels got made with whatever problem that caused your delamination to happen and will other Redwoods assembled around the same time as yours develop delamination issues as well.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Redwood probably gets their panels from a supplier, much like other RV manufactures do. The thing that concerns me is how many panels got made with whatever problem that caused your delamination to happen and will other Redwoods assembled around the same time as yours develop delamination issues as well.Â*
We can only hope that if it does occur in others that it occurs prior to the end of the 2 yr warranty period, unless it would be covered under the 5yr portion. Since I'm still in the "waiting room" I haven't seen the warranty documents, maybe someone could comment on this. The other issue is, hat kind of repair would one receive if they were not fortunate enough to be close enough to have the factory repair the unit. My guess, it would be the kind of repair suggested by KR2012.
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John317
Quote:
Redwood probably gets their panels from a supplier, much like other RV manufactures do. The thing that concerns me is how many panels got made with whatever problem that caused your delamination to happen and will other Redwoods assembled around the same time as yours develop delamination issues as well.
We can only hope that if it does occur in others that it occurs prior to the end of the 2 yr warranty period, unless it would be covered under the 5yr portion. Since I'm still in the "waiting room" I haven't seen the warranty documents, maybe someone could comment on this. The other issue is, hat kind of repair would one receive if they were not fortunate enough to be close enough to have the factory repair the unit. My guess, it would be the kind of repair suggested by KR2012.
Well....you're out there on the West coast. There's several of us in between, that could "pony express" it to the factory. I wouldn't mind helping someone for a few hundred miles
Old 05-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
Site Team

I was surprised.....I know Redwood doesn't work over the week ends but Brian DID email me back already asking me to send him pictures which I'll do on Monday. WOW....I'm impressed

Old 05-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
When I was at the factory, I saw that they build their own wall panels. Although I'm not happy this has happened, I'm hoping mine is an isolated case. Regardless, I'm sure they're going to stand behind their product and I'm still a cheer leader for the Redwood group.

I'm just disappointed because I've had countless Carriage owners looking at my unit and I don't want any of them thinking less of Redwood because of this bubble. Each of the Carriage owners are potential Redwood owners.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #17

I've gotten several calls and emails from Brian advising how to make repairsthat spilled over to theweekends. Many times, he's catching up on replies that he couldn'tget to during the week. As you might suspect, I'm sure thelist of issues he's managing must be getting unmanagable.

Just the number of issues he's managing for people on this forum is surprising. Imagine the number of customers that aren't members of this forum, having the same number of problems that we're having (there are approx 1,000 units produced), or the number of calls he's getting from dealers. What a difficult job he has...

Old 05-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
Site Team

You're right and each customer thinks their problem is the most important

Old 05-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
Dan

Dave
There are new products used to repairdalimitationI was told by a RV repair center that they can inject aresinof some sort to "glue" everything back together, this maybe the first attack at the problem. No matter what the out come I feelconfidentthat Redwood will come through for you

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #20

Hi Dave
How did you make out with the Delma problem?